Has anyone had to pay the rack rate?

MagicPrincess

DIS Veteran
DH and I are trying to figure out our budget for our 2010 summer trip, and we're *really hoping* for a good discount, but then I started wondering, do you really ever have to pay the rack rate? It seems as though you can get a number of discounts either through a TA, AAA, Disney promos?

I'm just curious! Anyone paying rack rate this summer?

Thanks!

I have only ever had to pay rack rate once and that was last December. There were no discount codes the beginning of Dec since POP Warner was going on. This year, I'm getting AKL for the same timeframe for less than what I got POFQ last year.

I only paid rack rate our first trip because I didn't know any better. I found the DIS two weeks before we left and I was afraid to call CRO and ask for a discount. ;)To make matters worse it was rack rate over Spring Break. :upsidedow

Now I know to look for the discounts, and I haven't paid rack rate since. There are usually discounts that you can get, either through a Disney promotion, a pin code, or if you buy an AP for the discounts. You can also rent DVC points for a nice discount off of those pricey Villa rates.

What some people do is book their trip for the dates/resort they want, and then call back to change the ressie when the discounts are released.

Happy Planning! :goodvibes

Thanks!

ok, my next question is...if I book a room now for summer of 2010, let's just say, BC deluxe CL room. If I go to add a discount later, do they cancel that reservation alltogether and I risk losing that room? I keep hearing about Disney cancelling reservations to apply the discounts, a I just worry about losing out on the room we want!

Thanks!

We once paid rack for POFQ - nothing was available, not even AAA. But I really had my heart set on POFQ. Every other trip we've been able use AAA or a code.

In all of my Disney trips, I have never paid rack rate. This summer I am taking two trips and both are discounted.

I'm paying rack rate for one night of our December stay at the Poly (I can't imagine anyone staying on 12/25 isn't), but got a PIN code rate even for 12/23 and 12/24.

We would have if it hadn't been for the 4/3 and I'm pretty sure my parents paid rack on our first trip in '98.

Never again though, I'll scour for savings. I did get offered a bounceback in our room this time but we couldn't take it. I also got a 40% off code for a value resort about a month after booking the trip we just got back from. Where the heck was this BEFORE I booked. LOL.

But the 4/3 deal was pretty sweet and we got a moderate out of the deal which rocked!

I have only had to pay rack when I had free dining so I still received a discount. I even had a AAA discount on my first trip :).

I am paying rack rate for the first time after about 14 trips, but we are getting FD in exchange so it's OK. I have always been able to take advantage of AAA discount or a code.

Oct 07 we had to move our dates around at the last minute, was able to get the AP discount for the Poly for 3 nights only but not the YC for the last 3 nights, paid $350 a night and thought I was going to pass out

We paid rack rate once. It was kind of a last minute, impromptu trip and all of the rooms available at some type of discount were gone at the resort we wanted to stay in. Fortunately we haven't had to do that since, but sometimes there is no other option if all of the PIN rooms, AAA, Free Dining rooms are gone, and you want to stay on property.

May 07, my husband wanted to give me Disney as my Mother's Day present and just bought a package w/o any discount (I'm not sure if its b/c he booked it 4 days before we had to leave for Disney)...I told him next time we wants to surprise me please check if there is any type of discount.

Well we used AAA discount in 2007 at CBR and received a great deal...we are now planning a trip in Oct 09...requested room quotes at Wilderness cabin and were given rack rates of 354 a night...they said there were no AAA rooms for our timeframe...I did not take that room either...we are searching for rental points instead..it is odd but it seems to me that during the "regular season rates" they are being more sticklers on giving any discounts than when we booked during the value season rates last time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter