Has anyone had success booking dining? I mean......for the love of churros!

I REALLY wished I had thought to look here for a thread when I started looking for reservations. I thought I was totally losing my mind, or my computer and phone were on the fritz. After constantly checking the site and the app, I've been able to book some reservations for our mid-July trip, but the elusive Lamplight Lounge, Ralph Brennan's and Carnation Cafe (I know its not listed as opening up by then, but it's our our list) still escape me.

Last week I actually even called Ralph Brennan's to see if I could book via the phone. The person I spoke to said that they release about half of the available tables to Disney at 60 days out. He was surprised when I told him that there was not a single reservation available after July 10 for any party size at any time. He said if we were still unable to book via the app, to come to the restaurant and ask to be put on the walk-up list. Trying at the "off times" of 11am or 5pm would probably have the shortest wait.

Now I'm going to set an alarm for 2:45am on the 14th to try and book a LL Brunch!

Is there a list of what's open now and what will be opening soon? Sorry if I missed it. I guess I'm a little last minute planning my trip for July 1 and hoping to get at least one in park reservation. Our tradition is lunch at Carnation Cafe, any word on that one specifically?

They definitely added reservation capacity for Cafe Orleans. Wide open availability now for my trip the week of July 5th. Looks like Carthay Circle Alfresco and Catal were also added for those days (didn't see them before).

They definitely added reservation capacity for Cafe Orleans. Wide open availability now for my trip the week of July 5th. Looks like Carthay Circle Alfresco and Catal were also added for those days (didn't see them before).
I see Carthay Circle now, thanks! I grabbed one just in case I can't get anything else. Nothing for Cafe Orleans on my days, boo! Holding out hope for Carnation Cafe. Idk why that would be closed, since they have just a nice outdoor area. Maybe it's just booked already?

I see Carthay Circle now, thanks! I grabbed one just in case I can't get anything else. Nothing for Cafe Orleans on my days, boo! Holding out hope for Carnation Cafe. Idk why that would be closed, since they have just a nice outdoor area. Maybe it's just booked already?
Carnation Cafe has not yet announced reopening. I read elsewhere it's due to CAL-OSHA distancing regulations. Not enough room in the kitchen to reopen within regulations.

Carnation Cafe has not yet announced reopening. I read elsewhere it's due to CAL-OSHA distancing regulations. Not enough room in the kitchen to reopen within regulations.
Well, shoot. Okay, thanks for that info! When everyone says new reservations open up at 3:00 a.m., what time zone is that? Lol, sorry for all the random questions.

I REALLY wished I had thought to look here for a thread when I started looking for reservations. I thought I was totally losing my mind, or my computer and phone were on the fritz. After constantly checking the site and the app, I've been able to book some reservations for our mid-July trip, but the elusive Lamplight Lounge, Ralph Brennan's and Carnation Cafe (I know its not listed as opening up by then, but it's our our list) still escape me.

Last week I actually even called Ralph Brennan's to see if I could book via the phone. The person I spoke to said that they release about half of the available tables to Disney at 60 days out. He was surprised when I told him that there was not a single reservation available after July 10 for any party size at any time. He said if we were still unable to book via the app, to come to the restaurant and ask to be put on the walk-up list. Trying at the "off times" of 11am or 5pm would probably have the shortest wait.

Now I'm going to set an alarm for 2:45am on the 14th to try and book a LL Brunch!
I think something is off on Disney’s website for all of the Downtown Disney restaurants including Ralph Brennan’s, because right now you can’t even see the operating hours past July 10 - it just keeps saying “schedule unavailable for this day.” That’s very interesting that the person you spoke to at Ralph Brennan’s wasn’t aware - thanks for the intel!

6am (EST) this morning i saw some dinner rez available for Storytellers (first week in August dates)

I got my Carthay Circle Alfresco for lunchtime on 7/8, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. We had that menu when we were there in December, and I wasn't impressed. So I'll talk to DH about it and see what we want to do.

The reservation system is just drunk. I have a huge party which usually means we need 2 reservations for 2 tables around the same time. I was had to UPSIZE one of the tables from 4 to 5 to get a reservation. It wouldn't let me do a 7/4 configuration or a 6/5. But I could do a 7/5. Go figure.

The reservation system is just drunk. I have a huge party which usually means we need 2 reservations for 2 tables around the same time. I was had to UPSIZE one of the tables from 4 to 5 to get a reservation. It wouldn't let me do a 7/4 configuration or a 6/5. But I could do a 7/5. Go figure.
Yeah, it's a complete mess. You also get completely different results depending on if you select "lunch," "dinner," or a specific time. Like it'll say there's nothing for dinner but then you click on 6pm and there's a bunch of times available.

Yeah, it's a complete mess. You also get completely different results depending on if you select "lunch," "dinner," or a specific time. Like it'll say there's nothing for dinner but then you click on 6pm and there's a bunch of times available.
I've noticed you can click back and forth on the lunch/dinner buttons and it'll go from no restaurants, to 1 restaurant, to 5 restaurants and back to 2, then none again. 🤣

FYI.....whole bunch of Café Orleans reservations opened up in late July. I just made a reservation there for 11:50am and 7:00pm.

If Hungry Bear opens in July, I'll cancel the lunch reservation and just keep the dinner one. We'd love to go to Hungry Bear for lunch, got my eye on that spicy chicken sandwich, onion rings and funnel cake for dessert! :love:

Last edited:
Which is the better restaurant in new Orleans square? Cafe Orleans or Blue Bayou?

Watch some YouTube videos on both restaurants and see which one you prefer. A lot of people prefer Blue Bayou but my family wasn't a big fan of their menu. We preferred making a reservation to Café Orleans to try their Monte Cristo sandwiches and pommes frites instead.

Watch some YouTube videos on both restaurants and see which one you prefer. A lot of people prefer Blue Bayou but my family wasn't a big fan of their menu. We preferred making a reservation to Café Orleans to try their Monte Cristo sandwiches and pommes frites instead.
Probably a good idea. I have a lunch res at one and dinner at the other in case nothing else opens.

Both CO and BB have the Monte Cristo fwiw. And so does Smokejumpers at DCA, counter service.

Which is the better restaurant in new Orleans square? Cafe Orleans or Blue Bayou?
There’s been a lot of debate about this, especially in the “before” times. For many people, BB is the premium experience (certainly with premium prices!) but most people will agree it’s all about the ambiance. And even that can vary widely depending on where you’re seated. I’ve never had a bad food experience there, but others have been less than wowed, expecially considering the cost. I love BB for the atmosphere. That said, I have always gone for first lunch reservations (11:30 am) so as to be sure to be seated waterside. That is magical. But way back in the middle, near the entrance or the bathrooms? Not so much. So right now, when only 11 tables in the place are open, all bets are off. Unless you can get a first lunch seating, I wouldn’t risk it. That’s my take. 😂

****cancelling some Blue Bayou reservations ****
I’ve been waking up each morning this week for reservations. There are a couple days we’d prefer over others but have been booking as they come open as a backup in case we can’t get the days we prefer. I’m cancelling a couple that we know we don’t need now, august 7th at 6:40 and August 10th at 6:30. Just wanted to give a heads up if someone here is wanting to snag one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter