Has anyone gotten a discount or free dining with a preferred room at POR ?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by maryj11, May 19, 2013.

1. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

I was just checking to see if I could get a September discount or free dining for a preferred room in AB section at POR and it is not available for preferred. Do they ever give a discount or free dining for the preferred rooms there ?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Shell54

Shell54 DIS Veteran

Yes we booked Free Dining for Sept. and requested a preferred room in POR with no problem at all.

4. Blessedwithboys

Blessedwithboys Mouseketeer

I tried at 7:00am on the first day of general public free dining released and I was told that there were no POR preferred avaliable :( I was disappointed as well

5. wdwagain518

wdwagain518 Mouseketeer

If they release a free dining promo for December I'm hoping to upgrade existing reservation from garden to preferred. Right now it's available for our dates at rack rate but I booked with AAA discount and it's not available at the discounted rate. We'll see what happens in the next couple of months....

We were there last September with FD--I had a garden view booked but were sprinkled with pixie dust and were upgraded to building 14!

6. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

You cant request preferred you have to pay extra. Did you book preferred or just request it ?

7. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Wow that would be great to be upgraded :)

8. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

It may just be unavailability for the specific dates you are asking for. If it's not available for just one night, it will come back that it's not available for the whole trip.

9. wdwagain518

wdwagain518 Mouseketeer

It was awesome-we had a corner room right by the pathway to the food court. When we went back in January we had garden view and we were in building 17, still a great location but we were definitely spoiled from the previous trip;)

10. Shell54

Shell54 DIS Veteran

Yeah I know..I requested and booked a preferred room:) Our first time at a mod..we usually stay deluxe..hope we like it.

11. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Oh ok maybe they only had so many preferred rooms for the free dining then. :thumbsup2 I think you will like it, we stayed there years ago when it was called Dixie Landings. Having a preferred room will make a big difference because it is a big resort. I loved it when we went except the walking lol. Thats why I want a preferred room. I have stayed in value, moderate and deluxe. Actually all of them were nice but I prefer moderates or deluxes.

12. kandb

kandb DIS Veteran

We have a preferred room booked for our upcoming trip and have free dining. Our dates are 9/2 thru 9/10.:thumbsup2

13. nonstopdisneymom

nonstopdisneymom Mouseketeer

I think the only way to get preferred at por during a free dining promo is to get the disney visa and be able to book a few days before it comes open to the general public. POR is so much cheaper for a family of 5 than any other resort and because of its size preferred is well, preferred. Lol

14. karmacats

karmacats Mouseketeer

When we stayed there in Dec. 2012 we had to get a preferred room because our AP discount was only good for preferred rooms, not regular rooms. I think they planned it that way on purpose, because now that we've stayed in the preferred room we're going to have to get one every time! :lmao: In any case, yes, you can get a discounted preferred room at POR - it just depends on the available inventory for the particular discount you want to use.

15. EvilQueenT

EvilQueenT DIS Veteran

I had a room only discount last summer (august) and booked a preferred room at por. I had to keep checking back until it opened tho so I understand your frustration. Try giving them a call.

16. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Thanks I did change some dates around today and seen there were some with preferred :thumbsup2

17. blondie_k21

blondie_k21 Earning My Ears

I received a pin for free dining for our trip from 12/1-12/8. This is my first time at POR as CBR was the only other mod option we had. Also, the only rooms available were Royal rooms, and I opted for pool view. Not sure if you meant promos in general or pins. I should also note that I booked only a few hours of receiving the email.

18. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Ok thanks for the info:thumbsup2

19. poohangel

poohangel DIS Veteran

We booked with a Disney Visa and were told no free dining offered with preferred rooms. That does not make sense to me. If I am willing to pay extra for preferred then they should be happier to get more of my money. :}

20. vicki_c

vicki_c DIS Veteran

Apparently they can book up,all the preferred rooms without offering free dining. More money for Disney than if they gave you that room with free dining.

21. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

Discounts are made to fill rooms. Preferred rooms at resorts fill up fast, especially with families with small children. No need to offer discounts.

You cannot pick and choose what booking categories you want on a discount; they do not "need" your extra money, they have plenty of people booking those categories.

Disney got very, very savvy about two years ago with values and moderates and created booking categories based on requests and they are having no trouble filling preferred rooms.