Has anyone gone to a theme park after the passing of a family member?

??? The passing of what? :confused3 Need more information.

Sorry, a Family member. Like a Grandfather.

EDIT: We leave in 3 weeks and my father in-law who is 57 went hunting and his boat capsized and passed. So, we're trying to figure it out.

Yes I did. My mother and husband had passed within 6 months of each other. We went about 6 months after my husband died. They had never been to WDW nor had my kids and I. I found it a wonderful place to go to forget about life for awhile. I saw my kids become kids again and could see the weight of the world lifted from their shoulders.

Going to WDW was the best thing we could have done.

My wife & son, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law & nephew went right after the passing of my father-in-law. I want to say it was the weekend right after the funeral.

It was a way to get their minds on something else.

Its a good question. Before he passed, my wife's dad came with us to WDW all the time. Some of our best memories are of him watching Illuminations. We think of him every time we see that show. It brings a smile to our face and tears to our eyes. Its nice.

Actually we were in Epcot when I got a phone call saying my Mother had suddenly passed away.
I don't know if I can explain this exactly, but I felt very peaceful being in Epcot. Both of my parents had loved coming to WDW, but they especially loved Epcot and Illuminations. The call came as we were sitting waiting for illuminations to begin. I had stepped away to hear better. I didn't tell anyone in my family until we were back in the room.
We really felt like WDW made us remember how wonderful my Mothers life had been.
I'm sure it's different for every family, and there are so many variables.
You have to do what's right for you and your family and ignore the nay sayers

You have to do what is right for you and your family.

When my mom passed I went out with friends for dinner right from the nursing home. People thought I was insane. So why did I do it? My life had just been torn apart and I needed to do something "normal". I needed time before I really allowed myself to feel and grieve and understand what her death meant for me.

Sometimes people forget that others grieve in different ways.

Yes 1 month after my son passed away.
It was a great distraction for: me, DH, DD's 16 & 13 DS, 5 SIL and nephews 10&11. It was bittersweet for us as he was suppose to join us on this trip. But we went anyways and I glad we did!

Thanks for all of your responses. I was glad we went to the first weeks of Christmas parties as we at least got to feel the spirit of Christmas this year before this happened.

September 2006, two family members passed away (my 46 yr old brother, in his sleep on Sept 1 & father-in-law, from melanoma on Sept 16). We decided we needed to get away from all of the sadness. By the middle of October we booked a Disney vacation for the first week of December. The last time we'd been there, DH went with his parents @ 7 and I went with a friend @18. Then, mid-November my 42 yr old DH got the chickenpox and almost died. We thought about cancelling our trip. Our family members insisted we keep that vacation. They decided we'd better live our lives to the fullest, because you NEVER know. That trip helped us get our sanity back. BTW, my DH and I just got back last weekend from our 16th trip since December 2006 (16th trip together, I've gone solo a couple of times!). We make sure we go every year either the first or second week of December.

My Father passed away earlier this year. The following weekend we enjoyed a day trip to DTD.

In Sept my DH's grandfather passed away on the last day of his yearly WDW trip with his wife. He had heart complications as well as issues with severe dementia. They were there for 2 weeks I believe and from what I hear from DH's grandma, he had a wonderful final trip and passed away at his home away from home.

DH was extremely close to him as well as my 2 year old DD and it hit our family extremely hard. We had a scheduled trip to WDW during Thanksgiving week and there was no way we weren't going in his memory (even though I questioned not being with DH's grandma during the holiday). We knew his spirit would still be there. We felt him with us our entire trip and when we went to DHS to see the Osborne Lights on Thanksgiving Day, we looked up and directly to the left of the Mickey hat was a single bright shining star in the sky; the brightest star I've evwr seen! My DD pointed excitedly and said "there's Poppy!" It was such a magical and emotional time for all of us :-)

I'm so sorry about the loss of your father-in-law.

My grandmother passed last Sunday, and I took a few bereavement days from work this week. Since we're local to Disneyland, we decided to spend some time at the parks. We just needed to get away for a bit, and it really helped - even after just a few hours. The trip could be therapeutic for your family.

Yes, I went on a trip with my school the day of my grandmother's funeral. I was young enough I would not have been allowed to attend the funeral. My parents felt that the last thing my grandmother would have wanted was for me to miss the trip. It was a bit odd, but it took my mind off being sad.

8months after my dad passed, my mom treated the family to a week at disney. We stayed at the Polynesian because as children that was were we always stayed. It was a wonderful trip that we will always remember. There were some tears, but mostly a lot of laughter and remembering.

Just last month my sweet mom passed. Back in May, she met me and my family at WDW for my 40th bday. We had a great time! I am so glad we have the memories of that trip. I am running the marathon in 3 weeks at WDW. Last time I ran it, I cried as I ran through Frontierland in MK as all the memories of my dear dad flooded me. He loved Frontierland and I felt his presence right there with me. This time around, I expect the marathon to be an extremely emotional experience for me.

My parents were disney people. They started going in 1971 when the place opened and we took yearly trips as a family. I cherish every moment we spent together there and I will continue to make new memories there:)

8months after my dad passed, my mom treated the family to a week at disney. We stayed at the Polynesian because as children that was were we always stayed. It was a wonderful trip that we will always remember. There were some tears, but mostly a lot of laughter and remembering.

Just last month my sweet mom passed. Back in May, she met me and my family at WDW for my 40th bday. We had a great time! I am so glad we have the memories of that trip. I am running the marathon in 3 weeks at WDW. Last time I ran it, I cried as I ran through Frontierland in MK as all the memories of my dear dad flooded me. He loved Frontierland and I felt his presence right there with me. This time around, I expect the marathon to be an extremely emotional experience for me.

My parents were disney people. They started going in 1971 when the place opened and we took yearly trips as a family. I cherish every moment we spent together there and I will continue to make new memories there:)

Such great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Well, wish us luck. We leave Wednesday. Went to Saving Mr. Banks and that was rough.

I think the trip will be a good escape, even if there will be moments.

My family went about 2 months after my Uncle passed away in a house fire. He was the baby of the family and my Mother helped raise him. She and my Father took his passing very hard. My DH and I had already made plans to go before my Uncle passed away. A month before we left my Mom and Dad asked if they could go with us because they wanted to get away. Of course we said yes. This would be our first trip to WDW for all of us.

Still to this day my parents talk about what a great time they had and how much it helped. They loved watching their grandsons enjoy the magic and wonder of Disney.

I just have to share one of our favorite memories from out trip. When I was little my parents took me to DL and my Dad remembers the Country Bears and wanted to watch it with his grandsons. For some reason this show cracked my DH up and he could not stop laughing. Next thing I know both my Mom and DH are laughing so hard they were crying and leaning on one another so they would not fall in the floor. It was a sight to see.

There are so many memories we have and yes it did help going to WDW. :goodvibes

I hope you and your family have a great time and I am sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter