• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone flown Southwest out of BWI lately?

Wiggle

Are we there yet?
I just called Southwest to verify how long the check-in lines have been at the ticket counter, and she could only quote me the standard line we've all heard in the media. I asked for the phone number of the SWA ticket counter at BWI, and she said they don't have one. (Excuse me?)

So, if you've been there recently, what have you seen? We fly out at 6:30pm Friday evening (which I would expect would be a popular time anyway).

Thanks!

we flew out of bwi on SWA to San Diego before the attack. 8/18/01. The line wrapped around the maze down the hall and more. We got there 1.10 mins early and got to the gate in time to board. So hopefully its better or at least the same. Our flight was at 10:00 a.m.

We flew from BWI to MCO last Tuesday, and back on Sunday. Our flight was at 7:40AM, and we arrived at the airport at 5:10AM. It took about an hour to get our bags checked, and another 15 minutes to get through security. It would have taken longer if we had been selected from random search, which we weren't. If some of our carry-on baggage had been rejected we would have had to stand in the one hour line again to check it. So yes, to be on the safe side, I'd give it 3 hours. I don't know how your evening flight will differ from our early morning one.

Also, remember that SWA is first-come-first-served for getting to pick your seat. We were fortunate to have a toddler, so we got to pre-board, but you might want to give yourselves extra time for that, too. On our flight to MCO the plane was pretty empty, but coming home they combined flights (ours had a mechanical problem) and EVERY seat was taken.

We flew out of BWI on Sunday. It took us about 35 minutes to get to the ticket counter for their East Coast flights. The West Coast (Nashville & west) was much longer. It took us another hour to get throught security. We did not have any bags searched. We were there early for a 7:30 pm flight. I agree with Barb D that it would be good to allow 3 hours.

...we flew out of BWI to MCO on 9/19--granted, this was only a week after the attacks, but it sounds like people are still experiencing much of the same. We arrived at 5:30AM for a 7:40AM flight (living dangerously by allotting only two hours!!) The lines were loooong....it took 45 minutes to get our bags checked in. One SWA employee was loudly complaining that it was becuse people ere checking in bags for flights that weren't due to leave till noon (I do think that they have now put up signs saying that you can only check bags three hours in advance of your departure time).

Anyway, after that, we breezed through security (not selected for a search--good thing since my now-fiance was carrying an engagement ring on with him!) and our flight was only about 30 people. (Again, this is probably not the case anymore).

Unfortunately, SWA is one of the few airlines at full operating capacity right now, and BWI is also a major hub, so it's like a double whammy.....I would say leave yourself three hours. Or don't check any bags!

Good luck!

Hi! We have a flight out of BWI at 7:50 am. Are the ticket counters always open? We live two hours from the airport.... Any recommendations for a hotel close by that allows you to leave your car while on your trip?

Thanks,
Carole

I believe that the counters open at 5:30, but it could be earlier. Also, there are plenty of hotels around the BWI area, but I don't know their policy on leaving the car while you're gone. There are some off-site parking options, but they could be costly. Sattelite parking at BWI is $7/day (they closed the cheaper, $4/day lot because it was too close to the runways apparently, and therefore a security risk).

Just FYI!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter