Has anyone failed at making your Mickey head lamp?

Shan-man, I belive in one of your older post you showed a pic of the inside of your mickey head. I'm trying to figure out how to run the 3 bulb system

I've just posted my complete set of instructions to the web site where we post our trip reports. It will let you see how I put lights into the ears for lamps I have made.

You can see the instructions here: http://www.carol-anne.ca/Mickey Lamp.htm

FinishedMickeyLamp-1-1.jpg

I had one blow over and shatter also when i went to rebuild i had a hard time finding the larger globe both lowes and homedepot by me say they no longer carry that globe i ended up going to a lighting store and found a larger one the one i have now is pretty big which ment i needed bigger ears also then i needed a bigger base to hold the heavier head up i choose a xmas tree stand designed for up to a 12 ft tree and it seems to work very well it is plastic with a very big flat base will try to post pics if i can

Man, I feel so much better! I'd only read 'success' or 'final result' stories but never the tribulations of the project. I couldn't figure out why so many people were having success and I failed so miserably but now I know: no one was saying it! :rotfl2: It's also nice to know that Cincinnati isn't the only area where HD and Lowes don't carry the globes in stock. I got a nice tip via PM from another local (mnsprk a.k.a. 'Grumpy & Grandma') where to buy globes so I'll run to the store this weekend.

I love Discampers :) I'm inspired to have another go at it, armed with a bag full of ideas how to proceed. Thanks everyone for your input and encouragement, I'll try to document the process so you can celebrate with, or laugh at, the outcome.

I'd still love to hear any further suggestions or war stories, besides I think this string is helpful for others who've not had any luck and cathartic for those who have.

:confused3I found a 72" globe online I wanted to use but the $500 price tag made.DW say no way:confused3

:confused3I found a 72" globe online I wanted to use but the $500 price tag made.DW say no way:confused3

HOLY COW! How big of a base would you need to secure that?!?! Do you plan to light it with at Mercury-vapor bulb?? Would you carry it to your campsite on a flatbed truck or get a toy-hauler? :)

HOLY COW! How big of a base would you need to secure that?!?! Do you plan to light it with at Mercury-vapor bulb?? Would you carry it to your campsite on a flatbed truck or get a toy-hauler? :)

That was her next thing:confused3
I may have been mistaken I think it may have been 60" and use 30" ears because I told her it hould fit in the trailer if we left the GC at home.
Anyway to build it would have been over $100 but just picture that giant mickey on top of the MH at the Fort:banana:

O.K., one attempt, one failure. The largest acrylic globe at Home Depot was 8" but since it was less than $10 I got it since I knew I would probably break it anyhow. I didn't want to splurge for the hole saw and got a dremel for Christmas so I thought I would try it. First hole did pretty well. It was a little rough around the edge but nothing the ear globe didn't cover. I probably go over-confident on the second hole and cut too fast because as I got to the end of the circle a piece flaked off that the ear globe would not cover.

Things I learned about using the dremel:

1) go slowly
2) it seemed to cut better going counter-clockwise around the hole.
3) cut the hole smaller than the opening and then use the grinding stone attachment to even it up.
4) have an alcoholic beverage waiting either for celebration or to ease frustration.

Just as an experiment, I was able to take part of the piece I had cut out and make a patch for the area that was flaked off. Glueing it in place from the inside of the globe, I don't think it would have been too noticeable when the light was on.

I decided to save my ear globes to use when I find the right size head globe though. Can I use this?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

O.K., one attempt, one failure. The largest acrylic globe at Home Depot was 8" but since it was less than $10 I got it since I knew I would probably break it anyhow. I didn't want to splurge for the hole saw and got a dremel for Christmas so I thought I would try it. First hole did pretty well. It was a little rough around the edge but nothing the ear globe didn't cover. I probably go over-confident on the second hole and cut too fast because as I got to the end of the circle a piece flaked off that the ear globe would not cover.

Things I learned about using the dremel:

1) go slowly
2) it seemed to cut better going counter-clockwise around the hole.
3) cut the hole smaller than the opening and then use the grinding stone attachment to even it up.
4) have an alcoholic beverage waiting either for celebration or to ease frustration.

Just as an experiment, I was able to take part of the piece I had cut out and make a patch for the area that was flaked off. Glueing it in place from the inside of the globe, I don't think it would have been too noticeable when the light was on.

I decided to save my ear globes to use when I find the right size head globe though. Can I use this?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I have used a Dremel many times and I can't imagine trying to cut the holes with one. It's so easy with a hole saw and they're only about $15.00 at Home Depot.

The globe you need is this one: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Flow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

The hole saw is here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=100495375&R=100495375

You just put the hole saw into your electric drill and you're in business. Cut slow and easy . . .

Okay, so I don't feel bad anymore - thought it was just me! My dad made me one for Christmas this year. Well used it @ the FORT in Feb. Used it again (2nd) time @ Lazydays Campground in Seffner - big wind blew through and down it went. :scared1: The plastic GLOBES CRACKED and the head came off. So, my dad repaired it - $$$$ And brought it over in a PLANTER that he concreted in that now weighs I would say 20 - 25 lbs....... OKAY - so now it is very heavy but sturdy! :woohoo:

I use LePage's Flexible Plastic Adhesive which is available at Home Depot in Canada.

LePageFlexiblePlasticAdhesive.jpg

I cannot find any LePage products listed in the USA so I recommend you try Locktite, it looks like the same thing.

LoctiteFlexiblePlasticAdhesive.jpg

It is available at Home Depot in the USA.

Have fun!

I have used a Dremel many times and I can't imagine trying to cut the holes with one. It's so easy with a hole saw and they're only about $15.00 at Home Depot.

The globe you need is this one: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Flow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

The hole saw is here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=100495375&R=100495375

You just put the hole saw into your electric drill and you're in business. Cut slow and easy . . .

Interest comment and I now have cut three heads for ears with a snug fit that were almost perfectly round with my dremel and can't imagine getting a decent circle with a hole saw since the pilot drill will enlarge the pilot hole with no way to keep the hole saw center on the globe face since you can't have any backing on the inside of the globe and the head globes I have made vary a lot in the thickness where the ears go.

I guess it different experience and level of expertise with the tools they are comfortable with using.

Larry

Thanks!! We are going to attempt to make this...the kids are excited!:)

Please take and post lots of pictures. It'll either generate a great laugh or applause :)

I'm actually looking for detailed pictures. I've seen a few posts (and some generous links in this thread) to construction photos but I'd like to see the inside of some completed lamps, specifically where the ears connect to the heads.

Good luck and keep us up to date!

Here are some globe pictures:
Inside_0010.jpg

Inside_0009.jpg

Inside

Inside_0001.jpg

Inside with lights in ears

Have fun making yours, and please post some pictures!

CDNCruiser I think you're quickly becoming my favorite Dis'er :goodvibes Thanks for the great pics!

When I gave up on a successful attempt and used the remnants to stage a "dry run" I didn't like how the globes didn't nest nicely; they looked like two balls connected at a tangent. Maybe silicone would make it blend nicely, maybe I'd screw that up too (don't look at the caulk around my bathtub) :) . I also thought about making the hole larger than the neck of the ear-globe so it would counter-sink and be more visually appealing. Yours seems to have some out nicely. Did you glue on the inside? Did you use clear silicone on the outside? Does the silicone cast a dark ring around the ear bases when lit? (that last one may be a stupid question) Am I just gun-shy and over-analyzing it? (that last one was a stupid question) :)

Did you glue on the inside? Did you use clear silicone on the outside?

I don't use glue on the inside or silicone on the outside.
I only use glue on the outside.

I use this glue from Home Depot:
LePageFlexiblePlasticAdhesive.jpg

But I don't think it's available in the USA.
You can get this one in Home Depot in the US -it's the same product:
LoctiteFlexiblePlasticAdhesive.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter