Has anyone every had someone make..

desamnik

DIS Veteran
custom window treatments for you? I am curious what the cost is? I live in New England, everything costs more here. I've bought most of my drapes and curtains at Country Curtains and have spent about $200- $300 per window. Just looking for something for may daughters room and not finding what I am looking for.

Thanks!

I haven't, but have thought about it. The curtains in our family room are country style (cream and federal blue, lots of ruffles and big bows to tie them back). I love the ones from Country Curtains but not the cost. But the curtains do need to be replaced. I have an acquaintance who has a small shop in town, but she only does alterations (and keeps very busy with that), but there are a lot of Mennonite ladies in our area and I'm wondering if I could hire one of them to take the curtains I have to use as a pattern and make new ones that way.

I think Penneys does custom curtains, don't they? Or is it just custom blinds?

I'll keep watch of this thread to see if you get responses from others who have had custom curtains made.

I have never had anyone make them. But maybe you could find someone who sews and see what they would charge you. That way you find the material close to home and less costly, and help someone out looking to make a little money.

Other than that I guess I am not much help.

We have nice summer curtains but needed insulated curtains for the winter. Boy, are they expensive! I ended up buying fleece and making the bedroom curtains myself. They keep the cold at bay, and I figured, who sees the bedroom, laundry room, cat room, etc? THese are NOT glamorous, but the serve the purpose. We are still looking for living room curtains for next winter, though. I have a friend who makes her own window treatments. She says it really isn't difficult, and hers look terrific!

I had custom drapes made a few years ago for 3 windows a interior deisigner made them. They came to over 2,500.00 , but boy are they something to behold. There would be no way after having custom done that i would ever go back to cheap kmart curtains or pennys for that matter. In fact i'm trying to decide what room to do next.

Except when money was tight, we put in custom curtains. We got about 5 years out of the pre-made curtains we bought. The cost about 1/4 of what the custom ones did. The custom curtains we bought 31 years ago just got replaced. So the better quality of the customs actually has turned out to be cheaper in the long run, but only IF you plan to stay in your house. Been in ours 31 and plan to spend the rest of my life here.

I had custom drapes made a few years ago for 3 windows a interior deisigner made them. They came to over 2,500.00 , but boy are they something to behold. There would be no way after having custom done that i would ever go back to cheap kmart curtains or pennys for that matter. In fact i'm trying to decide what room to do next.

So much of it depends on the size of the windows and the materials used. A few years ago I replaced our living room drapes with custom-made, floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall sheers, with a lined valance across the top. That was about $2500, but oh so worth it.

The drapes in our family room are lined, at DH's insistence, so we can shut out the light when we're watching t.v.

Instead of thermal drapes to hold in the heat, we use shutters to keep out the heat in the bedrooms on the sunniest side of the house. The shutters were custom made and much cheaper than the drapes, but the shuttered windows are smaller too. Some people like to put curtains over shutters, but I think that's redundant.

you can order online from this company. I have ordered from them in the past and turned out great. I am getting ready to order some more now.

they have lots of fabrics and lots of options from traditional curtains to roller blinds to honeycomb shades to shutters.

not cheap but turned out well and they do have some sales. also free fabric samples

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter