Has anyone ever???

Minnesota

<font color=navy>Disney Commando<br><font color=re
Been on crutches in the parks? We're hoping not to have to bring them but it is a possibility. Would it be better to use crutches or a wheelchair if necessary? What about on rides? I posted some questions on the disabilities board but never got much of an answer so I thought I might try here again.
Thanks!
Minnesota

I was on crutches at both WDW and DL, ended up with the wheelchair 2 out of 3 times. Bad ankles/toe/knees...
Almost hurt myself on the crutches, it was easier with a motorized wheelchair-DH pushed me around at DL for about 6 hours and was whipped. Course it could have been cause we had 2 little kids under 3 also on that trip so he had to keep track of them as he wheeled me around....

Go with the motorized wheelchair if you can! so much easier for everyone! And you might be able to get a GAC- the Guest Assis. Card. I did not ever do this, but on some of the long rides when I tried to use the crutches they did let me wait in the area that is used for child swap till the family got there in the line.... and that is where I waited when in a wheel chair also if the lines where long. If not we all boarded very quickly.

I tried DL on crutches and I didn't make it very far. It was too tiring after knee surgery. We ended up renting a push wheelchair and it was the greatest thing ever.

I'm not sure if you would qualify for a Guest Assistance Card, but it may be worth looking into, especially if you have leg issues and cannot stand. The CMs should be able to guide you into the best possible solution to your foot problems.

Been on crutches in the parks? We're hoping not to have to bring them but it is a possibility. Would it be better to use crutches or a wheelchair if necessary? What about on rides? I posted some questions on the disabilities board but never got much of an answer so I thought I might try here again.

I've been using crutches since age 2, been visiting WDW since I was a teenager and I'm 49 now. I always fought using a wheelchair or ECV until a good friend talked me into using an ECV in 2008 - best move I ever made. I enjoyed the trip SOOO much more.

I wouldn't torture someone else by making them help me with a wheelchair - too many hills.

Your best bet is a ECV. The terrain is a bit steep in some areas for someone to push you and it is SOooooo much walking that crutches won't work. You won't be able to enjoy yourself. So make plans to rent the electric chair....and have fun.

I've never been to Disney World on crutches, but I remember how difficult and painful it was to get around my college campus with crutches when I broke my foot. I think my arms hurt more than my foot did! I can't imagine trying to use crutches at Disney World. Make life easier and get a wheelchair. :)

Thanks for all the great info and quick replies! Here's a follow up question: should we go with the wheelchair, is it necessary to label the chair so it doesn't go with another group and if so how is the most successful? Also, I've never heard of the Assistance card (of course we've never had to deal with this before either) what it that and is there somewhere to call to find out if we qualify or not before hand? Do you reccomend bringing MD notes, Surgery notes etc?
Thanks again
Minnesota and Best Friend via phone :)

Per SueM in MN:
What is a GAC?
We use GAC as an abbreviation for Guest Assistance Card.
It's really exactly what it sounds like -
a Card that tells the Cast Members (CMs) what kind of Assistance a disabled Guest needs. The disability can be temporary or permanent.
This is a reply someone got recently when they wrote WDW requesting information about GACs:
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

We are pleased that you and your family will be vacationing with us and we appreciate your desire to make your visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

The Guest Assistance Card is a tool provided at all four WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort Theme Parks to enhance the service we provide to our Guests with disabilities. It was designed to alert our Cast about those Guests who may need additional assistance. The intent of these cards is to
keep Guests from having to explain their service needs each time they visit an attraction.

The Guest Assistance Card is available to our Guests with non-apparent, special assistance needs. However, the intention of this card has never been to bypass attraction wait times, or to be used by Guests with a noticeable service need.

Guests with an apparent mobility concern, such as Guests using wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc., or Guests with service animals, do NOT need a Guest Assistance Card. These Guests should be directed to follow the attraction entrance procedures for guests using wheelchairs, as outlined in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities.

A Guest with a specific need for assistance can request a Guest Assistance Card at any Theme Park Guest Relations location. To accommodate the individual needs of our Guests, we ask that all Guests discuss their assistance requests with a Guest Relations cast member prior to the card being issued. The Guest Relations Cast Member will discuss the available service options with the Guest and provide written instructions for our cast on the Guest Assistance Card. The Guest will be directed to present the Guest Assistance Card to the Greeter or first
available Cast Member at the attraction and await further directions for their experience.

Where do I get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities?
Post #3 of this thread has links to the online version of the Guidebook. Once you are in the parks, you can find the Guidemap for Guests with Disabilities with the other maps at the park entrance, at Guest Relations or at the ECV/wheelchair/stroller rental area. The Guidemap looks like the 'regular' park maps, but has additional information for guests with disabilities.
It's best to pick one up on each visit (or every few months, if you visit often) because things may change.

Can I write ahead of time and get a GAC? Where do I request one?
No, you can't write or call ahead to get one.
To request one, go to Guest Relations at a Theme Park and talk to the CM there about your problems and needs.
If you are requesting the GAC for someone else (like your child, for example), that person does need to be with you when a GAC is requested, even if they can't talk. The GAC is actually issued in the name of the person with a disability. That person does need to be present when the GAC is requested and when it is used.
Most people go to Guest Relations in the parks to request a GAC, but you can also go to the Guest Relations area located at the park, but outside of the gates.
GACs are not available at Downtown Disney or at your resort; you need to be at a place with park Guest Relations CMs (the people at Downtown Disney and the resorts are not park Guest Relations CMs).

Where can I find Guest Relations?
Each park has a Guest Relations location inside and outside of the park that will be open during park hours. You do need to go thru the security bag checkpoint to get to the outside of the park Guest Relations, but you don't need to go thru the turnstiles to actually enter the park. Even though they may not sound easy to find, once you are actually in the park area, they are pretty obvious if you are looking for them. They are in the 'wall' of the buildings that make up the outside wall of the park.

At MK, the outside of the park Guest Relations is to the right when you face the front of the park after you go thru the bag check point. The inside of the park Guest Relations is on the left in City Hall after you pass under the train station.

At Epcot, look for the exit from the monorail. It's pretty much straight across from that on the right side of the park entrance. The bag check is closer to the left side of the park entrance, so after you go thru the bag check, go right past the ticket booths and you will find it. The inside the park Guest Relations is to the left, after you pass Spaceship Earth.

At DHS and AK, the outside of the park Guest Relations is to the left as you face the park entrance. This is after going thru the bag check, but before going thru the turnstiles.
At both parks, the inside the park Guest Relations is also to the left, soon after you pass thru the
turnstiles.

Do certain diagnoses qualify for a GAC?
No.
Having any specific diagnosis doesn't qualify or not qualify someone for a GAC; there is no list of "appropriate" diagnoses for a GAC. Also, the CMs do not have medical training, so a specific diagnosis does not really mean much to them.
The GAC is based on needs that the person has related to a disability, not what their diagnosis is.
The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.
The GAC is given based on needs and the accommodations that meet those needs. This is not a Disney rule, this is the way that the ADA is written. According to the ADA, accommodations are not given based on the diagnosis or specific disability; they are given based on needs that are related to a disability.
For example, my youngest DD has cerebral palsy as her main diagnosis. Some people with cerebral palsy don't really need anything special; some might walk with a cane/crutches or use a wheelchair, but don't need anything besides an accessible line. Those people would not need a GAC.
Some people, like my DD, have additional needs that are not met just by having her wheelchair in line. I go to Guest Services and explain my DD's needs to the CMs there to get a GAC issued to her to help meet her needs.

Do I need a letter from the doctor?
No.
You don't need a doctor's letter and the CM is likely to not want to look at it because the letters are often not very helpful to the CM. Some people DO feel more confident asking for a GAC if they have a letter, but a letter is not required. According to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) you can not be required to provide proof of a disability.
You can choose to show proof, but can't be required. If you do have a letter, it should reflect your needs/problems related to your disability, not your diagnosis.
(For example, a letter that says "My patient has xxxxxx and can't wait in lines. Please extend every possible consideration." is not helpful.)
A doctor’s prescription has no legal ‘standing’ and will not be honored, since WDW is not a medical facility.

I have a wheelchair or ECV. Do I also need a GAC?
Not unless you have other needs.
The CM can see the wheelchair or ECV and will know you need an accessible entrance/line/boarding area.
Some people need other things besides the wheelchair; those people might benefit from a GAC. If you don't have other needs and ask for a GAC, the CM usually give one that allows use of the wheelchair accessible entrances. Since you are using a wheelchair or ECV, you already have access to those entrances without a GAC.
When CMs see a wheelchair user present a GAC that says "may use wheelchair entrances", some start to expect everyone who is traveling with a wheelchair to present a card. This is not how the system is supposed to work.
If you have any problems with access to the accessible entrances, first check the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities to make sure that you are in the correct place. If you still have problems, ask to speak with a supervisor.

I heard most attractions have special 'wheelchair' or 'disabled' entrances. Do they?
No.
Most attractions have Mainstream Lines, which means that the regular line is wheelchair accessible. Animal Kingdom and the Studio were built with mostly Mainstream Lines and guests with special needs wait in the 'regular' line most of the time in those parks.
Magic Kingdom and Epcot were not built with Mainstream Lines, but they were added, as much as possible as attractions were added or renovated.
A few attractions at MK and Epcot have special entrances because their 'regular' entrance is not accessible. The Guidemap for Guests with Disabilities will tell you which attractions have a separate entrance and how to access it.
There are also some attractions in each park where part of the line is not accessible (sometimes because of stairs) or the boarding area for guests with disabilities is different. This is usually because of moving walkways or the 'regular' entrance being on one side of the ride track and the exit on the other.
For these types of situations, you will usually find a marked handicapped access point or a CM to direct you close to the 'obstruction' or boarding area. You will usually wait in the regular line until that point.
Moving walkways are usually slowed, not stopped; if you need it to be slower or even stopped, tell the CM. Just showing a GAC won't tell the CM specifically what you need.

I don't want to use a wheelchair or ECV, can't I just get a GAC that allows me to use the wheelchair accessible entrances?
It depends on your needs.
If you can walk distances and up ramps fine, but can't climb steps, then a GAC might help you. Using the wheelchair accessible entrance will allow you to avoid stairs. For those attractions with moving walkways, you will also board at a place that allows the CM to slow or stop the moving walkway.
If you have a problem with walking distances, it's important to know that using the wheelchair accessible entrances will usually not be a shorter distance to walk; there just won't be stairs. Many queues are very long and some have ramps going up and/or down. For example, the queue for Soarin' in Epcot is over 1/4 mile from the entrance to the boarding area and an equal distance to get out again!
Many people don't realize how far guests walk in a day at WDW, here's a thread from the Theme Parks Board where posters estimated how far they walked. The distances are why WDW recommends an ECV or wheelchair for people who are concerned about stamina or endurance.

How do I figure out what the needs are?
Think about what sorts of things happen in a day at the park and how they would affect the person with a disability.
  • Does the person need a quieter place to wait or a place away from other people as much as possible? A GAC might be helpful with that, although not all attractions have those things. The ‘quieter places’ are often a roped or chained off area to the side of the regular waiting area, often not a separate are. There are usually no seats in the areas, but they are wheelchair accessible.
  • Some children might need to bring a stroller in line; either because they can't or won't walk in line or to give a 'safe haven' where they would not be so close to other people. A GAC could allow the stroller to be brought into lines and be treated just like a wheelchair.
  • Does the person need a place to lie down once in a while to rest or just an air conditioned place? First Aid in any park has cots for lying down; no need for a GAC to do that.
  • Is the person on medication or have a condition that may cause overheating or problems with being in the sun or heat? If so, a GAC might help with that (although most lines are shaded and many lines are indoors). A GAC may say that the person can wait out of the sun when the “queue is in the sun for a prolonged period of time.” Since most queues are shaded, this need is usually met without a GAC.
  • Does the person with an invisible disability need extra time getting into/out of ride vehicles for those rides with moving walkways? Do they need to avoid stair. If so, a GAC might help someone who can walk by allowing boarding at the wheelchair boarding spot for those attractions. (NOTE: Wheelchair/ECV users board at the exit for those moving walkway rides without needing a GAC, but they usually wait in the regular line with everyone else until close to the regular boarding area).
My child doesn't have a wheelchair, but needs to stay in the stroller. Is this allowed?
Strollers are not usually allowed inside buildings or in most queues, but can be if needed for a disability.
Some children require a stroller because they can't walk or just need to 'security of the stroller to help calm or help contain them in line. Some children have a special needs stroller that looks a lot like a regular stroller and could easily be mistaken for a regular stroller.
To use a stroller in lines, you will need a sticker tag and/or a GAC from Guest Relations that allows the stroller to be used as a wheelchair.
A tag or GAC may be necessary even with large special needs strollers - in the past, most people who needed these owned them. An Orlando company started renting them out in 2008 and people have been renting them for their older children without disabilities who don't want to walk. Because of this, they may no longer be recognized as "Special Needs Strollers" without the sticker or GAC.
With a 'stroller as a wheelchair', you will be able to:
  • take the stroller in all lines and buildings, even if strollers are not usually allowed
  • use wheelchair entrances. Few attractions have actual 'wheelchair entrances.' Since most lines are wheelchair accessible, you will usually be in the 'regular' line.
  • use the stroller until boarding. The child may need to be removed to board a ride, but you can leave the stroller at the boarding area. You won't need to fold it, but should take anything of value.
  • use the stroller in shows and sit in the wheelchair seating areas. The child may need to get out of the stroller and sit on an adult's lap if the stroller seat is too low. Most shows have limited numbers of wheelchair spots, so wheelchair spots are sometimes filled before other seats are filled.
  • use wheelchair areas for parades. Wheelchairs and strollers are usually parked very close together across the front of the viewing area. If your child needs to be away from others, this may not work for you, or you may need to park behind the front row to get more space. Areas sometimes fill quickly, so arrive early.
If you have a park rental stroller, you will need a new sticker each day. If it is your own stroller, the sticker will probably be dated for the length of your stay. If your child has additional needs, they might also need a GAC for those needs, but the sticker will be enough if there are no needs except for bringing the stroller in line.

I have problems with standing in line or with walking. Why did WDW suggest a wheelchair of ECV (motorized scooter)?
Disney calls these "Stamina or Endurance Concerns" and the official response is to suggest a wheelchair or ECV.
If the person has problems with standing in line or with walking, a wheelchair/ECV would be a better solution than a GAC. A trip to WDW includes a lot more walking than just what you do in line. Even with a GAC, there may be no place to sit while in line and the distance walked is not usually less with a GAC than without one.
Most of the lines where you will actually standing still for long periods are the lines for shows and movies. Because those 'load' large numbers of people at a time, people have to stand waiting for the next show to 'load'. Having a Fastpass or a GAC won't change that - if each show is 14 minutes, you are going to be somewhere for 14 minutes. In many shows, much of the time in that place will be a preshow area. (Link to a thread that explains this a bit more).
With an ecv or wheelchair, you will always have a place to sit and can conserve energy for fun, instead of just getting around. There is information about ecvs/wheelchairs farther up in this disABILITIES FAQs. Most lines are wheelchair/ecv accessible.
NOTE: The person renting or using a WDW park rental ECV must be over 18 yrs old and no passengers are allowed. WDW policy says that even with non-park owned ECVs, only one person is allowed on the wheelchair/ECV (no passengers).

We have 6 in our party; can we all use the GAC?
The GAC is for the use of the person whose name is on the GAC, so that person needs to be with when you use it.
The GAC is usually given for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability). There may be some situations where you are asked to split into smaller groups. When that happens, it's usually because the waiting area or seating area for people with disabilities is too small/crowded for a large party.
In certain situations, a GAC may be given for more than 6 people - for example, if a family is 2 adults and 5 children, they would make an exception and give the GAC for a total of 7. Anything over 6 people is an exception to the rule.

Do I need to get one for each park?
You can request a GAC at any of the theme parks. You DO NOT need a GAC for each park and the GAC is usually issued to be valid for your whole vacation.
The GAC issued at one park is valid at all parks, but the theme park GACs are not used at the water parks.

If I had a GAC on my last trip, can I just bring it back and use it again? Or can I show the old GAC as proof that I need one again?
No
The GAC has an expiration date and is not valid after that date.
You can bring your old GAC back on another trip to show to CMs in Guest Relations, but they may not want to look at it and you will still need to explain your needs in order to get a new GAC.

If i have a GAC does that mean I go to the front of all the lines?
No.
The only people who go to the front of lines are children with serious, life-threatening conditions who are on WISH trips.
The GAC is not meant to be a pass that gives immediate access. In fact, in around 2000, they renamed it to Card because when it was called a Pass, people thought it mean front of the line access. It says right on the card that it will not provide immediate access (won't shorten or eliminate waits in line).

Are there different levels of GACs?
There are not different levels of GACs, just different stamps that Guest Services can add to the GAC to tell the CMs at attractions what assistance the guest needs.
Because what is stamped on the GAC is based on needs, not all GACs say the same thing.
Here are examples of some of the things that might be stamped on the GAC:
  • a quieter place to wait
  • a place out of the sun (for those times when the line is in the sun for a prolonged period of time)
  • using a stroller as a wheelchair
  • avoiding stairs
You don't need to remember or ask for these specific stamps. Just be ready to explain your needs/problems. The CM will determine what stamp(s) would best fit those needs.

Do the CMs at each attraction have to provide what it says on the GAC?
No.
Even if you have a GAC, not all accomodations are available at each attraction. Some attractions may not have a place to sit, a quieter waiting place or have exactly what you need.

What happens when I use the GAC? How do I use it?
if the line is short or you don't think you need assistance at that attraction, you don't need to use the GAC. Just get into the line.
Many people handle the GAC like an insurance card, not necessarily needed or used all the time, but there for when it's necessary.
To use the GAC, show the GAC card to the first CM you see at the attraction. That CM will direct you.

Is it treated exactly the same each time and/or at each attraction?
No. Even on the same attraction, the GAC is not always handled the same each time.
Exactly what happens depends on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are there at the time and staffing.
Some times you may be sent thru the regular standby line, ocassionally another access; Occasionally the person with the GAC and a member of their party will be given an alternate place to wait while the rest of the party goes thru the standby line - and then meet up with them when they get to the front. Sometimes you might be given a slip and told you can come back at the time written on the slip (usually equal to the standby time); very ocassionally, you might be taken right in. It depends on what they call "attraction considerations" (which is basically the things I listed in the second sentence).

What happens will also depend on the stamps on your GAC. For example, if the GAC is for a place to out of the sun, you will be routed to the regular line if the sun is not a problem when you arrive at the attraction.

If you come back later, you may be handled differently. Even on the same attraction on the same day. People sometimes think that means one of the CMs did something 'wrong'. What it usually means is that conditions were not the same both times.

Can I use the GAC at restaurants to let them know my needs?
No.
GACs are used for attractions and are not used for restaurants. The information on the GAC would usually not be useful to the CMs in restaurants.
If you have food allergies, there are some links to information in post 3 of this thread.
If you have specific needs for location or type of table in table service restaurants, tell the CM when you check in for seating.

What about Character Greetings? Can I use the GAC for those?
In general, GACs are not used for character greetings that are outdoors. For those outdoor greetings, if you have specific needs, there is always a CM 'handling' the characters. That CM might be able to make some accommodations for your needs.

Depending on what accommodations you need, you may be able to use your GAC at Character Greetings that are in permanent indoor locations. These are considered attractions and are listed on the park maps as attractions. Examples of this are the Toontown Hall of Fame Tent in MK, Camp Mickey Minnie at AK and the Epcot Character Spot in Future World in Epcot.
Check with CM at the entrance to explain your needs and find out what assistance may be available.

What can I do to avoid or shorten our wait for attractions?
Fastpass is a good way to avoid waits in line. You don't have to be present to get a fastpass, you can send one member of your party ahead with all the park passes to get fastpasses. When you report back to the ride at your fastpass return time, your wait will be 15 minutes or less.
Link to DIS site page about Fastpass and how to use them
Also, even using a GAC or Fastpasses, if you know where NOT to be can be VERY helpful; maybe even more helpful than the GAC. Getting into attractions with accommodations is only part of the solution. If you are at a busy park, it is busy everywhere, which means longer waits for things like eating and using the bathrooms. The more people there are, the more difficult it becomes just to get around and to avoid all the general 'busy-ness' of the parks. That 'busy-ness' can be just as difficult for many people to deal with. Many people have reported good luck with TourGuide Mike (a Theme Park Board Sponsor) or Ridemax, using their advice to avoid waiting for more than a few minute. Both have hints on tour planning to avoid busy areas.

Link to thread about GACs
Link to thread about Make a Wish Trips and GACs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter