• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone ever taken their dog to DW?

spoiled_momma

Mouseketeer
I was wondering how it you did it? Did you leave your dog in your room while you were in the parks? or did you use the kennel?
How does the kennel at animal kingdom work? how much is it?

Any info would be great

thanks

I think if you post this on the campground forums you'll get a lot more info-I'm pretty sure that a lot of the RV and campers still use the kennel while staying on site.
by the way, I think this only because for a very brief few minutes I considered bringing our dog-and then I realized how bad that would be for all of us including him. When we vacation, we bring him to a doggie "hotel". Seriously, there's a place near us that has hotel rooms for dog and cats. All the rooms are bedrooms with tvs, refigerators (for any meds they might have), and beds or couches to lie on. It's so awesome! Plus he gets to play with other dogs a lot during the day. I know these type of boarding places are few and far between and I don't know where you're from, but if you look into it, you may be able to find something like that near you. I could never board him at a regular kennel again!

I don't think dogs are allowed at any WDW hotels and just at some campground sites. Sorry but I don't know anything about the kennels. Precious goes to grandmas when we are WDW. She gets spoiled rotten. We walk in the door and she goes and sits by the freg. Grandma cooks her three meals a day!!!

Jordans' mom

spoiled_momma said:
I was wondering how it you did it? Did you leave your dog in your room while you were in the parks? or did you use the kennel?

We stay offsite (except our last trip was at the campground with a rented RV...never again :rolleyes: ) because we bring our Pug. We leave her in the hotel room while we go to the parks. During our first trip, we used the kennels for the time we were in the parks (if you do this, I recommend the Epcot kennel because they have a walking service-the others do not and you have to go back and walk your dog). The kennels were more stressful on our dog. We learned that she's much more comfortable being left in the hotel room. She doesn't stress because it's just like leaving her at home while we go somewhere.

Where are you staying?

Unless your dog is a "service animal" (seeing eye dog, etc), your dog cannot stay in any room of the Disney hotels.

You can however have your dog at your campsite at Fort Wilderness. But you cannot leave your dog at your campsite unattended. So if you go the the parks or to a resturant you will have to kennel your dog at one of the Disney kennels.

We bring our dogs on vacations to the beach when we rent a house. Other then that, when we go away they go to a local kennel we like or they go stay with my Mom.

lclark0621 said:
You can however have your dog at your campsite at Fort Wilderness. But you cannot leave your dog at your campsite unattended. So if you go the the parks or to a resturant you will have to kennel your dog at one of the Disney kennels.

You can if you're in a RV. You just can't leave them unattended if you're in a tent or pop-up (soft-sided).

We hire a pet sitter to come to our house and take care of our dog, cat and fish (if my brother isnt going along with us, then he takes care of things, or if traveling nearby, we bring the dog along). She also checks on things, brings in the mail and paper, waters the plants, etc. It is more expensive than a kennel, but after trying out several, including a pet lodge we felt this was a better set up for our dog. She hardly ate when she was boarded, and was not happy even though she had play time. Now she can stay home and run around in our huge back yard, go for a swim in the lake, or lounge in the sun when she wants to. If its nasty outside, the sitter will keep her inside and walk her more often (our dog hates the rain).

alison

I know I lack understanding on this issue, because I just can't imagine taking any pets with me to WDW. With a dog, two cats, and a guinea pig, one of the pleasures of vaction for me is to board them all at the vet's and relax!!!! I think if I had to leave a park to go walk my dog I would really rather not go!! Is this more of a "love them so much we can't be without them" or a "we don't have any other options/can't afford kennel costs" kind of thing? Please understand that I am not personally bashing your decision - just can't fathom what the appeal is that would override the obvious hardships involved.

DVCLiz said:
I know I lack understanding on this issue, because I just can't imagine taking any pets with me to WDW. With a dog, two cats, and a guinea pig, one of the pleasures of vaction for me is to board them all at the vet's and relax!!!! I think if I had to leave a park to go walk my dog I would really rather not go!! Is this more of a "love them so much we can't be without them" or a "we don't have any other options/can't afford kennel costs" kind of thing? Please understand that I am not personally bashing your decision - just can't fathom what the appeal is that would override the obvious hardships involved.

We actually have 3 dogs, but only take the Pug with us. The 2 bigger dogs (a Rottie and a Border Collie) get boarded together. They do fine together being boarded because they are inseparable and have each other to play with. The Pug tries to play with them sometimes, but she's just too small and may get hurt by accident (it's actually kind of sad to watch her watch them play, try to join in, and then have to back away :rolleyes: ). The Pug doesn't do well being boarded (she won't eat or drink and actually begins dehydrating) and, to be honest, I'd worry too much about her to leave her. Taking her with us really is no hardship at all. As I mentioned before, we stay offsite and just leave her "home" like we do when we go somewhere normally. We always take a midday break from the parks and go back to our suite (we'd do this regardless of having Cassie along) so there's nothing about having her along that makes it more difficult than if we didn't have her.

Now, when we used the kennels at WDW on our first trip while we were in the park, that was a pain in the neck (except the one at Epcot-it's worth every cent to have them walk your dog). Having to come back and walk her (especially the one at MK) was pretty bad. We were newbies though and hadn't figured out what worked best for us, or her, yet. Now we know better.

That makes sense - thanks for explaining! If you were leaving the parks anyway, I can see that it wouldn't be an inconvenience. Do others feel constrained having to leave, though? Do many other people do this?

We love taking our dog to Disney! He has great fun at Fort Wilderness--long walks, bike rides, new smells to sniff, an occasional golf cart ride, and his people around more than usual. When we are at the parks he naps in the motorhome, just like he would nap at home. We aren't park commando people, anyway, so it is no hardship to give him a walk about every 8 hours or so.

I could never kennel him--I think he'd bark himself to death!

We love to take our dog to Disney. We stayed last year at FW Campground and loved having her with us. She did great on the ride down. We're staying again this year at the campground and she's coming back with us. It's like having a piece of home with you. I guess I should say that I have an RV, too. This was my first post - I hope I did it right.

:Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter