Has anyone ever mispronounced your name?

Constantly. My last name is a long, Lithuanian surname. It has a J in it that is pronounced like a Y. Everyone gets it wrong.

it doesn't happen often, I have a pretty gineric name

yet: their's still a few who do

not first name, but last name......it is two words, so pronounced wrong, one or the other. Many combinations

Both my kids get their name pronounced wrong often.....DIL too

All. The. Time. Sometimes my first name, which I always find a bit jarring because Colleen is uncommon but not especially unusual. Always my last names, both maiden and married, because they're both very uncommon ethnic names; my maiden name is spelled exactly how it sounds but seems to trip people up because of its simplicity and my married name is a long Polish name with "extra" letters that makes no phonetic sense.

Yes, many times. Not really sure why LOL. And it's misspelled even more than that.

Yes, my married last name. It's usually kids-they add an extra e in there. My first name is Shelley and it's not been mispronounced, just calling me by another name. I've had Shelby, Michelle and Sheila. Usually I just say- It's okay, I've been called worse, lol. Although one time back when I was in college, I decided to give a guy my name and number(those crazy days). He called a few days later and asked for Sheila. I just said Sorry, you have the wrong number-knowing full well who it was. If you can't be bothered to remember my name, then I can't be bothered to date you :confused3

Yes because it has a silent letter that one would have no idea is silent. Parents, please give your kids names that are easy to pronounce.

Constantly. People just pause after the first syllable of my last name and the look at me with horror. 😂

Not so much my first name. It's relatively common.

Before I was married, my first and last names would get swapped fairly frequently. There are people who have my maiden surname as a first name, and my first name (Kim) is also used as a surname. So being called LastName FIrstName is relatively common, especially with people I haven't met before.

My married last name is just a mess. It has a bunch of vowels and none of them make the sounds they should. It's not a hard name to say. I just don't know how you get that pronunciation from THOSE letters. (I think it involved a transliteration from a different language, then the name has taken on a more americanized pronunciation over the years so you look at it and say "really?")

People don't mispronounce my first name; Lee is hard to mess up saying! However, people often spell it incorrectly. They want to spell it "Leigh" or "Lea." I get it, as "Lee" is usually the masculine spelling, but it always makes me giggle inside, that people can't spell such a simple name!

I didn't change my last name when I got married, but it's 11 letters (three syllables) and people get intimidated by the length or something. They just don't try. It's easy, it's pronounced exactly the way it's spelled, no silent letters or anything. In fact, when I have to spell it for people (over the phone, or for accounts or something) invariably they say, "OH! Just the way it sounds!"

To touch on a point mentioned upthread, I like having my own last name. That way, when people call and ask for Mrs. HusbandsLastName or Mr. MyLastName (based on the spelling of my first name), I know that they don't know us so I don't have to answer. "I'm sorry, there's nobody here by that name. You must have the wrong number!" CLICK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter