Has anyone ever made their own yogurt?

Before investing in a yogurt maker you might want to borrow one or try a different method. Nonfat milk makes runny yogurt, and not the store bought consistency you may be used to. I've had success with the crockpot and with jars in a crockpot. It doesn't get that cold here so wrapping in a towel is enough to maintain the heat overnight. A note about flavoring. It's better to add honey or other flavors to a serving just before eating. The yogurt spoils more quickly once you add sugar. It also seems to liquefy the more you stir it.

I haven't been able to stay away from reading yogurt maker reviews on Amazon. I am leaning toward this one because my goal is to have the fewest number of steps possible, and I do not wish to have to heat the milk separately first, or worry about when it's going to be done and getting it into the fridge on time....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARSC1MK...UTF8&colid=EK87WEWB9FM0&coliid=I3MOQYQ3MAS2VZ

That yogurt maker looks awesome but you still have to heat the milk on the stovetop before adding it to the yogurt maker...there's no getting around that step with any yogurt maker as far as I know.

That yogurt maker looks awesome but you still have to heat the milk on the stovetop before adding it to the yogurt maker...there's no getting around that step with any yogurt maker as far as I know.

That's what I thought too at first... but the instructions that are posted with the amazon ad say it is not necessary, and many of the reviews I read specifically mentioned that they tried it both ways and while pre-heated milk tends to result in thicker yogurt, they were still able to make it by adding cold milk to the machine. That is what excites me about this one! It's expensive but honestly I know myself, and there is no way I personally will ever get around to watching milk heat and making sure it gets to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. So I have this one in my "wish list" and after I do some more price comparison between milk in my area and the yogurt I normally buy (Mountain High low fat plain), I can decide whether to get it or not!

Thanks so much for everyone's input!

Yes, I've made my own yogurt.
Yes, it's easy, and it tastes good.
No, it's not really worthwhile -- not if your motive is to save money.
No, you don't need a special kitchen-cluttering gadget.

DW was on a yogurt making kick for a while last year. She bought some small specific appliance for it, used it for a bit, wasn't satisfied, then started using a crock pot. Yes, I noticed she would wrap the crock pot in towels for hours.

I guess she gave up making yogurt as a New Year's resolution. It probably cost $5 per 6 ounce serving in time and aggravation.

I wish I could get whole milk or organic yogurt as cheaply near me as I see some you getting! I am currently using either almond milk or storebought organic milk (which I don't much like b/c of the ultra pasteurization) but a gallon of grass fed whole raw milk is 9.00 at least near me, the yogurt from that is likewise so $$$ -I would make my own yogurt if I could find a cost effective way to make clean yogurt

I wish I could get whole milk or organic yogurt as cheaply near me as I see some you getting! I am currently using either almond milk or storebought organic milk (which I don't much like b/c of the ultra pasteurization) but a gallon of grass fed whole raw milk is 9.00 at least near me, the yogurt from that is likewise so $$$ -I would make my own yogurt if I could find a cost effective way to make clean yogurt

I'm not sure where you live, but maybe you can find Organic Valley milk in your area. They have whole milk in gallons that is NOT ultra-pasteurized (it is homogenized, however) that is $5.89 in my area (Spokane, WA). You do have to be careful because most cartons are ultra-pasteurized but most gallons should be just regular pasteurized. I buy the Organic Valley when I can't get to our local co-op to buy the local organic 100% grass-fed Jersey cow milk (or if they run out!). Organic Valley is grass-fed, but not 100% grass-fed if that matters to you. They do offer a "Grassmilk" variety in the carton but I can't recall if it's ultra-pasteurized or not...I want to say it's not...but it was like $4.99/carton. Organic raw grass-fed milk is in the $9/gallon range here also, but I haven't jumped on the raw milk bandwagon yet (we do eat raw milk cheese, though).

Edited to add: If you go on Organic Valley's website and look at the Whole milk varieties, make sure to click on "see all 10 varieties" to see the gallon jugs...the cartons are ultra-pasteurized but the gallons are not. They should really design their website better!

Last edited:
I've been making my own yogurt for years. For us, it is very cost-effective but I don't do it for that reason, I do it because (a) my kids love it and (b) I know what's in it. Organic milk is relatively cheap where I am and all that is in my yogurt is milk, vanilla, a little yogurt for the culture and a little bit of sugar (1/3 cup). I used to make vanilla bean yogurt by scraping vanilla beans into it but I simplified the process by just adding part of a commercial vanilla bean yogurt cup to my lukewarm mixture before curing, along with a tablespoon or so of vanilla. That gives it the active culture it needs as well. Probably introduces a little bit of 'outside' unknowns, but it is only a very small amount.

I am a homemaker so the curing time isn't a big deal to me. I just turn my oven on to get the temp to 110, turn if off and put the yogurt in (in mason jars). I turn it on again to get it back up to temp about 2 hours later and in another 2-2 1/2 hours, it's done. My kids' favorite time to eat it is right out of curing, when it's still warm. It's a little more custardy than commercial yogurt but we like that.

I have used 2% and whole milk. Both work, but the whole milk makes a creamier yogurt which is a lot more popular at my house. I sometimes have leftover whipping cream or half-and-half from other recipes and I put that in, which makes it even better :)

We use it every day for smoothies. We also like it plain (because ours is slightly sweetened vanilla flavor) but also with fruit, honey, and I like it with toasted almonds and dates.

I've been making my own yogurt for years. For us, it is very cost-effective but I don't do it for that reason, I do it because (a) my kids love it and (b) I know what's in it. Organic milk is relatively cheap where I am and all that is in my yogurt is milk, vanilla, a little yogurt for the culture and a little bit of sugar (1/3 cup). I used to make vanilla bean yogurt by scraping vanilla beans into it but I simplified the process by just adding part of a commercial vanilla bean yogurt cup to my lukewarm mixture before curing, along with a tablespoon or so of vanilla. That gives it the active culture it needs as well. Probably introduces a little bit of 'outside' unknowns, but it is only a very small amount.

I am a homemaker so the curing time isn't a big deal to me. I just turn my oven on to get the temp to 110, turn if off and put the yogurt in (in mason jars). I turn it on again to get it back up to temp about 2 hours later and in another 2-2 1/2 hours, it's done. My kids' favorite time to eat it is right out of curing, when it's still warm. It's a little more custardy than commercial yogurt but we like that.

I have used 2% and whole milk. Both work, but the whole milk makes a creamier yogurt which is a lot more popular at my house. I sometimes have leftover whipping cream or half-and-half from other recipes and I put that in, which makes it even better :)

We use it every day for smoothies. We also like it plain (because ours is slightly sweetened vanilla flavor) but also with fruit, honey, and I like it with toasted almonds and dates.
Have you ever heard of Vietnamese yogurt? It's made with sweetened condensed milk. Maybe not the healthiest, but it's pretty tasty.

No, but I did make cottage cheese once. ONCE. After that experience; I don't care if cottage cheese gets to $25 an ounce....I'll never do that again.

Have you ever heard of Vietnamese yogurt? It's made with sweetened condensed milk. Maybe not the healthiest, but it's pretty tasty.
No, I haven't! Hmmmm...may have to give that a try! Thanks for the heads-up :)

My mom had a yogurt maker when I was a kid and I loved it. I would flavor it with red raspberry jam.

My first batch of homemade yogurt was a success. My kids asked me to make more tonight when I get home from work. I used whole milk and unsweetened full fat yogurt (for cultures). My son sweetened it with wildberry jam and my daughter sweetened hers with honey. I ate mine without sweetener and it was great.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter