Has anyone ever booked 5 in an SSR studio?

jmb910

Obsessed with anything Disney!
My son will be 3 on our next trip to WDW and he still sleeps with my husband and I. Then we have two daughters, ages 8 and 6. We have no issues spacewise, with us all being in a studio. There are no 5 sleeper studios available for the nights we need, but there is availability at SSR.

Has anyone had any luck with MS allowing them to book the 3rd child? We wouldn't need bedding or towels, etc. No air mattress on the floor.

I know there are fire code issues, but I am trying to wrap my head around the difference between letting an infant be in the room versus someone that is a couple years older? Thank you!

My son will be 3 on our next trip to WDW and he still sleeps with my husband and I. Then we have two daughters, ages 8 and 6. We have no issues spacewise, with us all being in a studio. There are no 5 sleeper studios available for the nights we need, but there is availability at SSR.

Has anyone had any luck with MS allowing them to book the 3rd child? We wouldn't need bedding or towels, etc. No air mattress on the floor.

I know there are fire code issues, but I am trying to wrap my head around the difference between letting an infant be in the room versus someone that is a couple years older? Thank you!
SSR studio sleeps four plus one under age of three. You have five who are at least three or older. Them's the rules. With fire code issues, an infant would be expected to be carried out of the room. Disney chose three years old as their breakpoint. They could have been strict like other timeshares and stated no extras at all. But they chose to allow a smaller child under three.

You can book the SSR one bedroom, but you'll still have to provide somewhere for the three yr old to sleep and a towel for the child.

Very unlikely that MS will allow it and until/unless DVC redoes the SSR studios to add the Murphy bed, the online booking engine won't allow it, either.

No real upside for trying to reason out why - the occupancy is what it is. If you have a waitlist somewhere that does allow 5, hope it comes through. Have you consdiered upgrading yourselves to a 1 bedroom?

If you don't register one of the children, he/she will not be able to use DME and will not be able to take advantage of EMH

The point difference between studios and 1BR does cause a lot of "sticker shock"

It is a little more manageable with a Kidani standard 1BR (if available)

Mickey math is weird at times. 2 years from now, Mickey will decide your daughter can eat as much as a full grown adult, so you must pay for it.

Yes the sticker shock is a big one :). I only have enough points to either do one night in a one bedroom or 2 nights in a studio. I think at this point we may just end up staying offsite and banking the points. I hate to spend that much on a one bedroom when it's just for one night and our flight doesn't even land until 8:30pm.

Thanks again!

I still don't understand how placing a Murphy bed in the same room suddenly changes fire regulation rules...

I still don't understand how placing a Murphy bed in the same room suddenly changes fire regulation rules...

My opinion is Fire Code and Disney Occupancy Rules are different (Disney occupancy can be lower). My bet is the fire code is not 4, it's a higher number. Disney can choose to only allow a lower number based on the bedding provided so they could add the murphy bed and still be within fire code. It doesn't make sense that a moderate at CBR or POR can hold 5 per fire code but a studio at SSR or OKW is only 4. The studio is larger and has 2 exits, where moderates only have 1. I think Disney chooses a lower number to allow.

My opinion is Fire Code and Disney Occupancy Rules are different (Disney occupancy can be lower). My bet is the fire code is not 4, it's a higher number. Disney can choose to only allow a lower number based on the bedding provided so they could add the murphy bed and still be within fire code. It doesn't make sense that a moderate at CBR or POR can hold 5 per fire code but a studio at SSR or OKW is only 4. The studio is larger and has 2 exits, where moderates only have 1. I think Disney chooses a lower number to allow.

Yes so Disney calls a number and then that is it. Just seems really odd! With the refurbs. When half complete it must be even stranger...

Yes so Disney calls a number and then that is it. Just seems really odd! With the refurbs. When half complete it must be even stranger...
Fire code can be altered by any number of changes. The murphy bed might be slimmer, providing for additional ingress and egress. Or maybe they added an additional smoke detector. Or an extra fire extinguisher in the hallway. There are many moving parts. I wouldn't just assume it's a number that Disney pulled out of their ear.

There are no studios available the nights we need that sleep five.

My son would still be in the bed with us, so there wouldn't even be any extra bedding needed or a pack and play. I'm just bummed because I'd much rather stay onsite than offsite, but even the moderates that sleep five cost more than double what I can get offsite.

I think eventually Disney will make SSR studios sleep five people just like the other resorts which is why I wish I could just do it now ;).

I agree.

I think the fire code argument in this case is just an internet myth as far as the room occupancy goes with many, maybe all, of the DVC rooms. More likely that Disney could and did select a lower occupancy - and there's nothing wrong with that. Now they've seen an advantage to allowing more and so they are where they can fit in another sleeping platform. I'm not a fire marshall but SSR with it's outside entrances are likely well under what fire codes would allow. But as mentioned, it still is within Disney's rights to have a lower occupancy than what that limit is.

I agree that it is frustrating but sadly there is nothing we can do about it. We are a family of 6 so we either have to rent two studios or book a 2 bedroom which is ALOT of points. We would TOTALLY all fit in a one bedroom with no issue but we bought knowing the situation. If i was you I would waitlist the studio that will allow 5 and if it doesn't come through stay off site like you stated. Hope it comes available for you =)

Fire codes are based on evacuation, not just the number of people in the room. It's the number of bodies traversing the corridor to get out of the building. Smaller bodies (under the age of three) would be carried out of the building, so they might not count towards the number of feet in the corridor and going down the stairs to the ground level. So if there are multiple stairwells, wider corridors that lets more bodies occupy the spaces.

I don't want SSR to sleep 5 quite frankly. When I bought, my MF and SSR budget had predicted wear and tear that did not include putting 5 in a room, which causes extra cost. No dis to the OP but leave SSR alone.

I totally agree with this I really don't want my home resorts going to 5 in a studio. It's not how it was sold and you lose functionality with that stupid table bed thing

I would waitlist Jambo and Kidani studios, keep my fingers crossed and reserve an off-site room.

I have been frankly surprised that the BWV and BCV renovations included adding a Murphy bed.

I have been frankly surprised that the BWV and BCV renovations included adding a Murphy bed.

Not surprised at all at BWV as they had rooms that claimed to sleep 5 when we purchased in 2000. They were called 'studio plus' and had a bench with a thin pad. We just used it to stash our shopping.

Yes the sticker shock is a big one :). I only have enough points to either do one night in a one bedroom or 2 nights in a studio. I think at this point we may just end up staying offsite and banking the points. I hate to spend that much on a one bedroom when it's just for one night and our flight doesn't even land until 8:30pm.

Thanks again!
I would hate to use points when I'm not arriving until that late at night. Have you checked for discounts at a value resort? We often save our DVC points and stay (especially if it's just a couple nights) using an AP or other discount at Pop Century.
I have a family of 4 but am friends with many larger families and so many have the smallest child(ren) in their bed with them. It's so frustrating when you don't need extra beds but a number "rule" requires it. I can understand the fire safety issue and the maintenance fees/dues issue too, though. Hope you find something that works for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter