Has anyone ever been to Gatlinburg,TN? IF so, where to stay?

dutton

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge? We are a family of 6 and plan to see the Smoky National Park and Dollywood. We are going to Disney in December and Gatlinburg in June. I cannot decided which place to stay. I know I have gotten great advice from these boards and hoped someone had some info about Gatlinburg. So thank you for any help!!

I would try tripadvsior.com for hotel reviews. Also check travelocity.com for hotel reviews. I was stay at the Fairfield Inn by Marroitt the new one with the waterslide because it was just built. Make sure go to outlet malls there to they is awesome.

The Comfort Inn on the River is very nice and about four blocks from downtown. The BW Crossroads Inn or the Twin Islands are also good. Twin Islands is close to the aquarium and to the Hard Rock Cafe. The Park Vista by far has the best view and is away from the noise and hustle of downtown. Depending on the weekend, it gets very crowded in Gatinburg and traffic can be maddening.

Enjoy.

We stayed at the Park Vista last May. It was a very nice hotel set in the mountains overlooking gatlinburg. The hotel is round and all the spacious rooms have a view. It has glass sided elevators going up inside the hotel lobby that is 16 stories tall (I think). The Gatlinburg trolley makes a stop there so you can just park your car and forget it for the rest of the vacation. Driving in Gatlinburg is horrendous.

We have been to Gaitlinburg twice. Our first trip July 1997-- we stayed at the Travelodge on the road at light (I think 4 or 3). It was just okay-- but pretty cheap. You could walk to all the attractions "in town". This past trip (April 2003) we rented a "luxury" cabin. It had 3 bedrooms, Satellite TV, pool table, Hot Tub, 2 bathrooms (one w. jacuzzi bath), all appliances and fireplace. It was pretty cute. The biggest drawback was it was up a narrow roaded mountain. It had nice scenery though. It was about a 5 min drive into Pigeon Forge and 10-15 into Gatlinburg, depending on traffic. We had to go right by Dollywood to get anywhere though. It was alittle pricey-- but it depends on what you are looking to spend. I can give you the links to some of the cabin companies I researched if you want. Just let me know.

Also, we drove a lot. Patience is a must. But the parking areas are pretty reasonable priced, and are nicely marked and centrally located. So, once we parked, we were able to walk to everything. We really like going here for a "relaxing" trip.
We also did the family comedy show at the Comedy Barn, thought that was great. My fav. part of the area is all the speciality and craft shops. Plus the bakery in Dollywood is out of this world!!! :hyper:

We like the Hampton Inn. It is located at the far end next to the vistor information center. It sets back just enough off the main stip that the noise at night does not bother you. You can still walk the entire strip. You are with in drivng short driving distance of Pigion Forge, cherokee, and the Great Smokey Mountians. You will love it.

BTW. We are also going to WDW in Dec. and the Gatlingurg in July this year!!!

Jordan's mom

My family is doing the opposite. We are going to Gatlinburg in November and AKL at wdw in June. Only 4 of us travelling though.:earsboy:

The Brookside Resort. They have regular motel rooms and efficiencies and apartment style rooms. I have never stayed anywhere else (except when we camp). We have been to Gatlinburg at least 12 times over the last 25 years (first went when I was 7). All but twice (when we camped) we stayed at the Brookside. It's just off the main drag up about 1/4-1/2 mile. I would check the Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce web site. They can send you a vacation planning package (which is stock piled with hotel/motel info). The Brookside is nice because it's not quite as loud and bustling as being right in the heart of downtown, yet it's completely within walking distance and has a couple of nice pools. (Gatlinburg is impossible to drive in, too much traffic and no where to park). Plus it's also on a trolley stop. (other than your feet, the best way to get around). Have a great time!!

Also heading to Disney in Dec!!

Since I only live about 30 miles from Gatlinburg, I recommend that everyone wait to go until October! The changing of the leaves is SOO beautiful!! ::yes::

We rode over last weekend and had a great time!

Yes, it was crowded in downtown Gatlinburg. However, when you go to GB during July, or even Oct., which is peak season, you can't expect any different! It's kind of like WDW, you expect it to be crowded & that's 1/2 the fun! There were still tons of people walking around at 11:30pm!

The leaf season hasn't been the best this year, due to high winds & lots of rain earlier in the year. But, it is still gorgeous! It's one of those "have to see at least once" things! ::yes::

We do Gatlinburg about 4 times a year. I HATE Oct. there. Last year it was so crowded my husband I were getting seperated on the street. My favorite time, the 3 days before Thanksgiving, you have the town to yourself, its already decorated for Christmas, just wonderful but get out of there before lunch on Thanksgiving day. Early June is not bad at all as far as crowds go. We like to stay at the Park Vista, we do not like the fact that the hotel doesn't offer transportation into town any longer , the trolley comes up there and a couple of times we haven't been able to get on the trolley back to the hotel due to so many people on it. In those instances with small children we have paid a taxi $10 to drive us 1/2 a mile up the street. In the summer we stay at Carrs, it is right behind the before mentioned Brookside. They have alot hotel rooms, apartments and cabins, very peaceful setting and still within walking distance of town. My inlaws just came back and said they really liked the new Clarion and will be staying there next time. Have fun!

If you can afford it I would suggest doing a vacation rental instead of a hotel. They can be a bit more expensive but its great being in a house to yourself versus in a cramped hotel room. Try doing a search for 'Gatlinburg vacation rentals' and see what you find! Good luck!

We go for daytrips, mostly (2 hours away) but we've also enjoyed our timeshare stays at the Fairfield Smoky Mountains Resort in Sevierville, TN. This is just on the far side of Pigeon Forge. Gorgeous 1BR, 2BR, 3BR and 4BR condos! Heated indoor pool, fitness center, game room, gathering room, outdoor pool, kiddie pool & hot tub. Very nice resort set a half mile back from the strip, so peaceful. It's very new, with its second phase still under construction but unobtrusive.

Sevierville is easier to reach from I-40, before you get into the heavy traffic of PF and Gatlinburg. We know the back roads to get to Dollywood from there without spending much time on the strip. Wherever you stay, call ahead and ask them to mail you an area road map (may be found in most of the free tourist magazines). This will save you a lot of time if you will be there during a busy season.

There are several more timeshare resorts which may suit your needs. Examples might include Laurel Crest Resort, Sunrise Ridge Resort, Sunterra Bent Creek Golf Village, Treetops Resort and Westgate Smoky Mountains Resort. None of these are in town and all would require a drive to reach the attractions. However, this is usually only really a problem if you are driving during a busy season weekend. Midweek, it's really not that bad, IMHO. These resorts may offer a few more amenities than most hotels. Weekly rentals from owners may be found in the TUG Classifieds - most people list Gatlinburg area rentals in the "Eastern U.S." section, sometimes in "Central U.S." HTH!

Hey - an off topic question but has anyone been there in December?

My daughter has a few Mondays off in December and I was thinking of driving to Dollywood the Monday before Xmas.

Is it a fun place at Christmastime? She did her show in Branson last year and we did Silver Dollar City at Xmastime which was 'a down home' kind of place but nice.

How far away from Nashville is it? Can it be a one day trip?

Thanks!

I just got back from a stay at the Park Vista and personally I would not recommend it.

I think it is resting on it's location! At most times only 1 of the three elevators worked so we were reduced to using the service elevators and the place needs a remodel. My bathroom had black mold all over the place.

The new Fairfield Inn someone mentioned looked VERY nice.

Gatlinburg gets all decorated at Christmas. They are already putting up lights. However, it might be a little far for a day trip. It took me about 4 hours from Nashville and of course the lights are best at night.

We always stay at Music Road hotel in Pigeon Forge. We go several times a year and have always been pleased. Also the new music road inn is very nice. I agree park vista has really gone down hill over the years. I also prefer pigeon forge over gatlinburg except the aqurium is nice. jama

p.s. eat at the Old Mill for great country food!

We stayed at the Music Road Hotel over the summer and loved it. We tried to stay at the Music Road Inn but it wasn't open yet. Both are nice but the Inn is brand new. They both have nice pools with lazy rivers.

Dollywood was great! We loved it and we are not even big into country music. There is tons of music, good rides and good food. The park is pretty with lots of trees and a stream. Their Christmas festivities look wonderful but we have only been during the summer.

What are the best times of year to go for low crowds? It sounds like summer and october are bad. How about September? early November? Is there any time in the Spring that's okay?

We don't have to worry about school. We just hate tons of people.

Thanks! :)

We go every year for Easter. It is rarely crowded. Sometimes one of the weekend falls during a car show, and it will be crazy then, but during the week it is quiet.

We usually stay in Pigeon Forge.
We hit Dollwood and I go to the outlet malls, and we spend some time in the smokeys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter