Has anyone ever been seasick the WHOLE time?

DVCajun

<font color=red>If you believe in Magic you belong
I'm extremely prone to motion sickness and while I'm optimistic about my chances with Bonine I still wouldn't be surprised if I was sick the whole time.

Has anyone else had a real problem with sea sickness? Especially those who have weak tummies to begin with?
blech.gif

I cruised in 04/04 with DM, who is VERY prone to motion sickness. She felt a bit sick the first night as we were going out to sea and on the last night--the waves were pretty high. Other than that, she was fine. She didn't take any medication, but she did slow down when she wasn't feeling well...

Good luck!

My DH & I get very sick. We didn't take any medication with us. We were going with a positive attitude. Well, the first night as we sat at Parrot Cay for dinner, the decorations around the windows were rocking back and forth. We were both turning green. Our table was right next to a window. We didn't know if we were going to make it through dinner. Then we went to the late show. The curtains were swaying back and forth. We were turning greener by the minute. Half way through the show the curtains stopped moving and everything was great. I don't know what happened but from then on it was smooth sailing.

:teeth:

For whatever reason, when we cruised the first and last night were the worst for motion. Always on the Atlantic side of Florida I guess. Other then that it was fine. I would prepare for the first and last night waves.

I get motion sick even in the car and I wasn't sick AT ALL on our cruise. Everyone told me that you can't feel it much, but I'm thinking, they don't know ME . . .

Now, I did take non-drowsy Dramamine every day, because I don't even want to take a chance. On the last night, I think the captain was speeding back to FL (lol) because the boat moved A LOT more than it did at any other time. Even then, I could feel the motion and was nervous about getting sick, but I felt fine.

Take your Bonine, and you'll be great!

I am prone to motion sickness too. On my last cruise, I was terribly sick the first night (didn't even go to dinner or the show). I was fine the next day(and the next). I felt a little sick the very last night, but not as bad as the first. I expect to take medicine every day on our next cruise, just in case.

I get extreme motion sickness (can't look down or back in the car, can't watch a train go by, can't sit in the backseat, can't watch a ride that goes in a circle) and I have never taken anything for motion sickness on the ship, and this includes a few days that seas were categorized as " rough". Go into it with an open mind, and some sea sickness medication just in case, you may not get sick at all.

Having been extremely prone to motion sickness my entire life
I took the advice of this board and started taking Bonine the day before we started our trip.

I never had a problem with motion sickness, with the exception of Mission Space, and that was only for a couple of minutes after the ride was over.

So thanks to everyone for the great advice!!!!:teeth:

I myself get totally motion sick~ in the car, on the plane, on a carousel, etc. I have been on smaller boats and have been ill the entire time. So, I was really worried about this trip. But I wore sea bands and took one bonine each morning (and the day before I took one and the morning we embarked I took two). I could feel the ship but I never once got sick on board. The last day since we were debarking so early I didn't take the pill or wear the bands and I was sick as a dog all day! I think my equilibrium was still a little off! So take the Bonine and wear the sea bands!!!

If you are prone to motion sickness, do NOT go with a positive attitude and no drugs!

I read over and over 'you can't feel the boat moving.' Well, you can. And, if you are sensitive to motion, you really can.

I did not take meds before I got on the ship and that was a mistake. We hit BAD seas that night and I was dreadfully sick from 6 pm til after midnight. (Yes, I missed dinner, the show, everything.)

That night I put 'the patch' on that night and took the sea sickness pills that DCL gives out every 12 hours for the remainder of the cruise. I was able to enjoy the rest of the cruise by the next day but even with the patch and the pills, I never felt quite right.

I DO want to cruise again, but I would definitely put the patch on before I ever got on the ship among other things.

(FYI: I did have blurred vision for a few days from the patch. It was a little disconcerting, but things returned to normal after 2 days of removing the patch.)

We are cruising for the first time 1/9/2005 on WONDER. Have read that Bonine should not be taken when having adult beverages. I like to have 3 or 4 drinks when on vacation. I am prone to seasickness--should I forget the adult bevs ? :bounce:

Originally posted by chipanddalenuts
We are cruising for the first time 1/9/2005 on WONDER. Have read that Bonine should not be taken when having adult beverages. I like to have 3 or 4 drinks when on vacation. I am prone to seasickness--should I forget the adult bevs ? :bounce:

I do not drink so I could not tell you how they work when drinking but the lady at my table was prone to seasickness as well and she was wearing the patch and she had a glass of wine at dinner each evening (at least one if I remember correctly).

To second what JJSmama said~ you can totally feel the boat moving that first night if you are not already used to it. But since I had taken the medicine and was wearing the bands I felt it but did not have a negative reaction to it.

Can you give us an idea of where your staterooms were?

I think that might make a difference for me as well (We booked midship-category 6).

We were in a 9 on deck 2 about midship. It was a reported noisy room and I found that it was a little noisy~ not enough to make me complain though. There was a hallway above our room and from time to time we could hear kids running down the hallway. Also, the last night we had bad waves (so bad the hangers in the closet were moving back and forth!!) but we were already in bed and I stayed there and I did not get sick.

We were on deck 8, almost mid-ship. However, when I started feeling sick we were first in Cadillac Lounge on 3 and then Animator's on 4. I went back to the room on 8 and was sick all night but I was just as sick down below.

My wife complained about how "rough" the ship was. I told her that the Wonder was smoother than the ship that I was on in the Navy, and I was on a carrier.

If you are prone to sea sickness, take Rx with you. Do not share the experience with everyone else. They do not care! Stay away from smokers. If a smoker comes up next to you just tell him/her that you are about to throw up. They will move.

Take the Bonine per the instructions and I'm betting you'll have no problem regardless of the sea state.

I plan to take something starting the day I get on the plane to fly down.

Everything makes me sick. Looking at a map in a car will send me over the edge. Now, if they let me drive the boat, I'd be FINE. Funny how that works.

I'm going to take the Bonine because I think the patch might be too strong and I don't want the blurry vision side effect.

I found out recently that Altoids makes a GINGER mint that contains REAL ginger--it is VERY strong. This might help some.

motion%20sickness.gif

I read all the posts, and have now made the decision to get seasick medication. Where can I get Bonine? Where can I get the seasick bands? Thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter