Has anyone else had issues with the new Oceaneer's club/lab policies?

As I said before, my biggest problem with this change is that the Oceaneer's Club/Lab is a KIDS CLUB! It is meant to be for kids to play with other kids. It was never advertised as a family play area. There are places on the ship designated for certain things...adult areas, kids areas, family areas.

People keep saying that the argument of allowing kids into Palo or the adult pool is not the same thing, and I disagree. It is EXACTLY the same. A place designated and advertised as being for one age group being changed to include another age group for significant amounts of time. Yes, they are leaving one side open at all times, but that is not what they advertise. With the advertisement of two distinct age groups, they also advertise the amount of square footage that those two groups are allowed.

I have one child in each age group. They don't like doing the same things. Yes, they have always closed one side or another for short amounts of time, but this was usually done either late at night (when alot of children would already be in bed) or during port times (when alot of children would be off doing excursions with their parents). Having one side closed for up to 6 hours on a sea day is ridiculous (IMHO)!

This thread loves their assumptions and drama. No compromise. Kids and families are different and want different things. disney responded to that. I am done and leave you all to your anger that in it of itself will ruin your vacation. I plan to have fun, roll with what is offered and have a great family vacation together as a family.

I totally agree with everything you've said thus far and this particularly hits home. If others want to embark on their cruise filled with anger and bitterness over something as minor as this, then let them. I too plan to have fun and roll with it because no matter what happens, goes wrong or isn't absolutely perfect there's still no place I'd rather be than off cruising on a disney cruise line ship.:cloud9:

I totally agree with everything you've said thus far and this particularly hits home. If others want to embark on their cruise filled with anger and bitterness over something as minor as this, then let them. I too plan to have fun and roll with it because no matter what happens, goes wrong or isn't absolutely perfect there's still no place I'd rather be than off cruising on a disney cruise line ship.:cloud9:

I agree wit this to a point, but I do think that when something isnt up to expectations or could be improved, it is perfectly ok to comment on it. HOw else will anything change for the better? If we don't like the new policies and thy ont work well or our families it should be ok to voice that.

Just because they let parents stay, doesn't mean that was he intent of the space. It is a KIDS club. NOT a family club. We all know it is intended to be a space for kids seperate from adults. that is what it is billed and the intent of the space. Dosney has allowed parents to override that in the past.

Why is talking about adult spaces being accessible to all any more argumentative t Han talking about the same for kuds spaces? Isn't that a double standard?? My point is that the same people who think open house at the club is such a great idea wouldn't feel the same way if it was their adult time being compromised. Why is ok to do it to kids but not adults?

Yes, it's a KIDS club designed with children's programing and structures in mind. They even provide child care with having YAC's to service the area...but until now, parents weren't forbidden in writing from being there and they weren't in practice. Again, just because you intended to use it as a drop zone (and there is nothing wrong with that) doesn't mean someone else did.

As much as you want to huff and puff, there will be and is additional open houses to accommodate those who need or want this service. Just how many or for how long remains to be seen. It might change from cruise to cruise depending the dynamics of the people on that cruise.

For all you really know, the open house could be schedule while you and your family are on an excursion or doing something else on the ship. I really don't get how you are acting so put out over something that hasn't happened.

Talking about opening up adult area's is argumentative because this conversation is about the kids clubs-the open houses and the programing.

Again, if you REALLY feel so strongly about Palo having a family night or hours, why not start a thread about it. You've just said said in your replies that you think it's hypercritical to persevere adult only areas and not kids...THAT tells me it's not really about a desire or a need, it's just a tactic to add fuel to a fire in what is already proving to be a hot topic.

It's becoming pretty clear, that no matter what someone says to try and put your mind at ease, including people on the Dream who never even noticed, you won't be appeased.

The secure progamming being offered in the other space is often not age appropiate, nad the spaces will become VERY crowded at peak times like after dinner hours when thier space is cut in half. Lack of space+ lack of appropiate activities+ 3-10 year olds in the same space= disaster

Isn't this a rather large presumptuous assumption you are making when you haven't even experienced a DISNEY cruise firsthand??? :rolleyes1. It seems you are making your speculations based on what you are reading and being told, not from first hand experiences with DCL....;)

Yes, it's a KIDS club designed with children's programing and structures in mind. They even provide child care with having YAC's to service the area...but until now, parents weren't forbidden in writing from being there and they weren't in practice. Again, just because you intended to use it as a drop zone (and there is nothing wrong with that) doesn't mean someone else did.

As much as you want to huff and puff, there will be and is addition open houses to accommodate those who need or want this service. Just how many or for how long remains to be seen.

For all you really know, the open house could be schedule while you and your family are on an excursion or doing something else on the ship. I really don't get how you are acting so put out over something that hasn't happened.

Talking about opening up adult area's is argumentative because this conversation is about the kids clubs-the open houses and the programing.

Again, if you REALLY feel so strongly about Palo having a family night or hours, why not start a thread about it. You've just said said in your replies that you think it's hypercritical to persevere adult only areas and not kids...THAT tells me it's not really about a desire or a need, it's just a tactic to add fuel to a fire in what is already proving to be a hot topic.

It's becoming pretty clear, that no matter what someone says to try and put your mind at ease, including people on the Dream who never even noticed, you won't be appeased.

It is called a DISCUSSION board for a reason. Just because you don't like what I m saying doesnt make it closed for discussion. I cannot see how anyone can really believe that the kids clubs were designed o be a family space. If so, why would they need bracelets and a check in desk at all? They are designed as KIDS CLUBS. Yes, it think it is hypocritical to say it is ok to compromise kids programming to accommodate adults but not to compromise adult activities to accommodate kids. Because really, this is not about hat kids want at all, but about parents wanting to stay with theor kids. And yes, I bring it up to point out the hyprocsy. FWIW, my DD really would enjoy Palo, but it is not going to ruin the trip that she can't. The kuds clubs look to be a much bigger issue however. If she is crowded into a packed club o accommodate 2 or3 families for hours at a ,as has been reported by others, you can bet I will be saying something about it. IMO, that is unnecessary. If I can avoid the situation ompletely by voicing m y concern now, that much better, but I am not simply going to let it happen without saying anything.

Isn't this a rather large presumptuous assumption you are making when you haven't even experienced a DISNEY cruise firsthand??? :rolleyes1. It seems you are making your speculations based on what you are reading and being told, not from first hand experiences with DCL....;)

No , this is basic child care. It has nothing to do with being a "cruise veteran" at all. I can tell you from years of experience with this age group that putting all ages 3-10 together in the same space is unwise unless they have definite, seperate, supervised activities. Left to their own devices, a large group with this kind of age spread WILL have problems. It is just a question of when and how bad. The way the programs were structured would work. He new structure won't. I don't need to actually be on the hip to know that something need to chage here. I CAN read what is being reported and understand what is going on just fine thanks.

No , this is basic child care. It has nothing to do with being a "cruise veteran" at all. I can tell you from years of experience with this age group that putting all ages 3-10 together in the same space is unwise unless they have definite, seperate, supervised activities. Left to their own devices, a large group with this kind of age spread WILL have problems. It is just a question of when and how bad. The way the programs were structured would work. He new structure won't. I don't need to actually be on the hip to know that something need to chage here. I CAN read what is being reported and understand what is going on just fine thanks.

Then YOU, like Me, know that they get do make the rules And call the shots! I don't like how they are handling VIBE right now but they don't seem to care what my opinion is. They run the ship's programs they way they see fit. THEY are not obligated to provide this service of "child care" to the guests. And FWIW they've combined these ages in the past, it's not something new. If it has previously ended in disaster, I'm SURE they wouldn't be even Attempting to try it Again!! :goodvibes

If there were clear cut and consistent times we could count on, I wouldn't be nearly as upset.

I agree. It would still bother me, but it would be differentbf I knew I could plan around open hose times. As it is, I have no idea what will be openehwn and how to pln our days o DD gets o o e things she wants to do that I will need to be present for.

Then YOU, like Me, know that they get do make the rules And call the shots! I don't like how they are handling VIBE right now but they don't seem to care what my opinion is. They run the ship's programs they way they see fit. THEY are not obligated to provide this service of "child care" to the guests. And FWIW they've combined these ages in the past, it's not something new. If it has previously ended in disaster, I'm SURE they wouldn't be even Attempting to try it Again!! :goodvibes

So if we don't like ow things are being handled the we shouldn't speak up about it??? THEY make the rules, but they also need to listen to their customers if thy want to keep them. There must have been a reason they stopped combining the groups. Something happened to make them realize hat a colassally bad idea it was. It just doesn't work. I have been there enough to know.

Just because they let parents stay, doesn't mean that was he intent of the space. It is a KIDS club. NOT a family club. We all know it is intended to be a space for kids seperate from adults. that is what it is billed and the intent of the space. Dosney has allowed parents to override that in the past.

Why is talking about adult spaces being accessible to all any more argumentative t Han talking about the same for kuds spaces? Isn't that a double standard?? My point is that the same people who think open house at the club is such a great idea wouldn't feel the same way if it was their adult time being compromised. Why is ok to do it to kids but not adults?

Actually, I could care less if kids were allowed in Palo/Remy. I wouldn't have to bring mine if I chose not to, but kids next to me wouldn't bother me in the least. I have also NEVER used the adult pool area at all, so again, wouldn't bother me if they had open hours for kids there. And they have always allowed my husband to take our kids to the Cove Cafe to pick up our daily coffee drinks, so I guess not much change there. So, no, the people saying the kids club changes are fine would not all be up in arms over changes to the adult areas.

As I said before, my biggest problem with this change is that the Oceaneer's Club/Lab is a KIDS CLUB! It is meant to be for kids to play with other kids. It was never advertised as a family play area. There are places on the ship designated for certain things...adult areas, kids areas, family areas.

People keep saying that the argument of allowing kids into Palo or the adult pool is not the same thing, and I disagree. It is EXACTLY the same. A place designated and advertised as being for one age group being changed to include another age group for significant amounts of time. Yes, they are leaving one side open at all times, but that is not what they advertise. With the advertisement of two distinct age groups, they also advertise the amount of square footage that those two groups are allowed.

I have one child in each age group. They don't like doing the same things. Yes, they have always closed one side or another for short amounts of time, but this was usually done either late at night (when alot of children would already be in bed) or during port times (when alot of children would be off doing excursions with their parents). Having one side closed for up to 6 hours on a sea day is ridiculous (IMHO)!

Not exactly. There were at least 2 morning on our last cruise where either the club or lab didn't open till noon. Other club opened at 8:30am. That's a pretty good chunk of time. And at least 2 nights where all the kids were in one club after 8:30pm. Again, big chunk of time.

Now, with sea days, if it is mid-day, that is a long time, but at the same time, it allows people to come and go with family activities and kids programming so I can't complain as I am sure it is a benefit to many people.

I agree wit this to a point, but I do think that when something isnt up to expectations or could be improved, it is perfectly ok to comment on it. HOw else will anything change for the better? If we don't like the new policies and thy ont work well or our families it should be ok to voice that.

Right, but that's basically saying "Screw those it's helping! Not what I want, so change it!" And it might not even affect you, that's what I don't get. Your kid might not even want to be in the club when one has open house. Or she might make friends and then not even care where she is. And she's 8yo, so you can always give her check-out privileges so she can leave if she gets bored or annoyed with crowds and go where she pleases.

As much as you want to huff and puff, there will be and is additional open houses to accommodate those who need or want this service. Just how many or for how long remains to be seen. It might change from cruise to cruise depending the dynamics of the people on that cruise.

Exactly. Might not even be a remote issue.

No, you cannot say that with any certainty. You haven't even seen the space yet. My kids go to winter break/school day off camps here that group 4-12yos in one space. In 2 weeks of camp, only incident report was with, surprise, my son. A 4yo hit him in the face accidentally while playing something like hot potato and he got a bloody nose. He's 5yo. So the kid was younger and possibly smaller (he isn't very big, so no guarantees there). None of the 12yos bulldozed the little kids. And 10yos were always allowed free reign in both clubs, as were 3yos. Always meaning since 2009, not since the beginning of time. Many 3yos were in the lab and many 10yos in the club. In fact, our last cruise, my friend brought a neighbor kid with her. She was 13yo and change. She never went to the Edge as she wasn't into their programming, but hung out in the club with my 4yo son, 7yo daughter, ~10yo niece, and 4yo friend's kid. Again, no issues. The CMs watch pretty well and keep the kids under control.

It is called a DISCUSSION board for a reason. Just because you don't like what I m saying doesnt make it closed for discussion. I cannot see how anyone can really believe that the kids clubs were designed o be a family space. If so, why would they need bracelets and a check in desk at all? They are designed as KIDS CLUBS. Yes, it think it is hypocritical to say it is ok to compromise kids programming to accommodate adults but not to compromise adult activities to accommodate kids. Because really, this is not about hat kids want at all, but about parents wanting to stay with theor kids. And yes, I bring it up to point out the hyprocsy. FWIW, my DD really would enjoy Palo, but it is not going to ruin the trip that she can't. The kuds clubs look to be a much bigger issue however. If she is crowded into a packed club o accommodate 2 or3 families for hours at a ,as has been reported by others, you can bet I will be saying something about it. IMO, that is unnecessary. If I can avoid the situation ompletely by voicing m y concern now, that much better, but I am not simply going to let it happen without saying anything.

So we all know they are drop off zones cause we read here. The average booker may not know that. They might think they need to stay with the kids, or that either way is fine. We don't know how other people interpret anything. Also, when you get on the ship, if you don't know better and ask the CMs at the club, they previously welcomed you gladly. So who would really know what policy was or wasn't?

So far, while I have heard there were times the club was crowded, I haven't heard that it was packed to capacity, that any kids were turned away, or that people were getting paged to pick up disgruntled kids. So it seems like it will all work out.

To me, the Kid's Clubs are like " camp" or school. They are a place for kid's to play, experience new things and stretch their wings. They don't need their parents around in those settings. There should be an initial open house to get them comfortable and perhaps a few short other ones for kids to show parents what they have been doing or allow little ones the chance to experience it. Then, parents should stay out!

So if we don't like ow things are being handled the we shouldn't speak up about it??? THEY make the rules, but they also need to listen to their customers if thy want to keep them. There must have been a reason they stopped combining the groups. Something happened to make them realize hat a colassally bad idea it was. It just doesn't work. I have been there enough to know.
No, that's not at all what I am saying. If you don't like something, then yes, you should by all means speak up. That is what the comment card at the END of your cruise is for. BUT it appears that this is already a problem And you haven't even cruised yet. :confused3. How can something be a problem when you haven't even given it a chance? If you really think it's that unsafe, your DD doesn't have to utilize the club. It is optional. They make the rules. :goodvibes

To me, the Kid's Clubs are like " camp" or school. They are a place for kid's to play, experience new things and stretch their wings. They don't need their parents around in those settings. There should be an initial open house to get them comfortable and perhaps a few short other ones for kids to show parents what they have been doing or allow little ones the chance to experience it. Then, parents should stay out!

I totally agree!

This!

I'm really worried about how this will play out on the full-of-kids summer cruises (like the one we will be on). My kids have been looking at pictures of the little kids area and are excited to play in Andy's Room and Pixie Hollow. They are going to be upset if they have to go to the bigkid side instead.

No, that's not at all what I am saying. If you don't like something, then yes, you should by all means speak up. That is what the comment card at the END of your cruise is for. BUT it appears that this is already a problem And you haven't even cruised yet. :confused3. How can something be a problem when you haven't even given it a chance? If you really think it's that unsafe, your DD doesn't have to utilize the club. It is optional. They make the rules. :goodvibes

Why would you wait until the END of the cruise to address a concern? I have been on 3 cruises already and the way the kid's clubs are run is one of the factors in rebooking our next two (Wonder in April and Fantasy in 2013). Now they are making changes that I do not feel comfortable with. Of course I am going to express my concerns to DCL immediately.

A while back DCL decided to change the policy for bringing alcohol aboard the ship. Sure it was their rule and they decided to change it. But so many people complained, they changed the policy back the next day.

Yes, they make the rules, but if their customers don't like them, believe me, they will take that into consideration. It sounds like they have found a balance that works on the Magic and Dream, but the Wonder still needs some tweaking. I have no problem voicing my concerns about the reports I have been reading, even though we haven't cruised under the new policy yet. That is because I want them to find that balance before I get there, not after I leave.

Why would you wait until the END of the cruise to address a concern? I have been on 3 cruises already and the way the kid's clubs are run is one of the factors in rebooking our next two (Wonder in April and Fantasy in 2013). Now they are making changes that I do not feel comfortable with. Of course I am going to express my concerns to DCL immediately.

A while back DCL decided to change the policy for bringing alcohol aboard the ship. Sure it was their rule and they decided to change it. But so many people complained, they changed the policy back the next day.

Yes, they make the rules, but if their customers don't like them, believe me, they will take that into consideration. It sounds like they have found a balance that works on the Magic and Dream, but the Wonder still needs some tweaking. I have no problem voicing my concerns about the reports I have been reading, even though we haven't cruised under the new policy yet. That is because I want them to find that balance before I get there, not after I leave.

If you see a problem with it after the 2nd day on board, why not complain then? Why complain about something that might not even be a problem? Your kid might want to be at the pool during open house hours and therefore it wouldn't make a difference. Or sleep in. Or see a show with you.

If you see a problem with it after the 2nd day on board, why not complain then? Why complain about something that might not even be a problem? Your kid might want to be at the pool during open house hours and therefore it wouldn't make a difference. Or sleep in. Or see a show with you.

Because this is already a problem for us. I want to book Palo for dinner. My son wants to attend the Lab during that time. According to the DCL response, we are supposed to check the Navigator the evening before to determine if the Lab will be doing Open House during the time we have Palo reserved. This is not what we signed on for when we booked the cruise. We signed on for a cruise where my son had a space where he could go that was age appropriate. Now that may or may not be the case on a certain night.

That is what I have already and will continue to voice my concerns to DCL about. I am completely open minded about the Open Houses. But I would like a set schedule that we can plan around, and I feel like the late evening is not a time for the Open Houses to take place at all.

This is the worst news EVER!!! We have booked DIsney cruises solely based on the long club hours without closing. RC closes at every meal time (can't I enjoy one or two meals?), Norwegian closes while in port, etc. My kids could live there, don't make me come get them Disney, please!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter