Has anyone else had enough of this Paula Dean buisness?

How do you feel about her calling a black worker her little monkey or about her wanting to do a wedding with an old south theme, including slaves? Or about her turning a blind eye to the discrimination in her workplace? Do you think these things are ok?

Well my dads nickname for me was monkey..and I had blond hair and light eyes..so go figure :rotfl:

I think she is a women, who is was raised in a certain way and place, and made mistakes. She admitted them. She also seems to let her menfolk be in charge. But the attacks on her for this are so stupid it is an over reaction.

I think that the N word is horrible! I do not use it and my children certainly are being taught that it is an awful word. However, Being from the deep south I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you could find any person over the age of 60 that has never said the word! My Grandmother used the word constantly when talking to people of color. She was certainly not a racist but from a different era! Give her a break! She is a chef....she is not perfect...and not someone I am going to mirror my life after! But, I will sure continue to use her receipes!

I am hoping that all these stones they are throwing at her are gone pretty soon. Good to know there are so many perfect companies out there that never make mistakes. A few of them I will no longer be shopping with, but that's just me. I hope she rises above all this.

Not quite the same thing but I will be interested to see if Capital One drops Alec Baldwin over his latest debacle. And apparently his latest wasn't his only rant. Never did see it blasted all over the media when he recently called a photographer a c***. Not the N word but still racist imho.

Honestly, I'm glad the publisher has the good sense to drop the book. It being number 1 on Amazon is embarrassing. If Paula has any sense she will go away for a couple years and then try to make a comeback with a true apology.

Honestly, I'm glad the publisher has the good sense to drop the book. It being number 1 on Amazon is embarrassing. If Paula has any sense she will go away for a couple years and then try to make a comeback with a true apology.

What do you consider to be a true apology? And I'm asking this in all seriousness.

What do you consider to be a true apology? And I'm asking this in all seriousness.

One that doesn't make it all about her and where she doesn't come across like she thinks she's the victim here. That's why part of it needs to be her going away and not self-publishing or doing other short-term money grabs.

I guess each company had to analyze whether there was more of an upside to keeping her or more of a downside. For companies it's all about the bottom line. I don't see them dropping her as "punishment" per se. I think it's all about business. I wouldn't expect a corporation to act any differently.

As for the public. I think a big chunk of the public, while abhorring the behavior, can feel some sympathy for another human being who has made mistakes, (as we all have.) I think many will be willing to forgive if she shows that she's willing to move forward and do better.

I agree with Jimmy Carter, (who weighed in on the issue), that she should just let this quiet down and see how things settle. She'll always have the taint of this on her -- but she may find a niche for herself once all is said and done.

Look at the crappy things other people have done -- Bill Clinton, Lance Armstrong, Mel Gibson, Martha Stewart, Anthony Weiner, Marion Barry, Jesse Jackson. These people can't just curl up and die. They've got to move on with their life in some way or shape or form. And they seem to find a way to muddle through. Paula Deen will, too.

I can tell you what it isn't. It isn't the defiant bizarre interview she did on the Today Show, where she blamed others, but never accepted responsiblity or showed any sense of contrition or growth.

I sincerely believe we Americans are very forgiving. But Paula Deen came across as arrogant in that interview. Maybe she was exhausted from all the stress. Maybe she really feels in her heart she isn't racist. But if that's where she's coming from, she needs to connect the dots for the rest of us.

I give her points for honesty. I'm just waiting for some contrition and growth.

I'm tired of it. Paula Deen was wrong to have said today or 30 years ago. I could list at least 5 things more important to most of us but the topics are forbidden.

30 years ago might as well have been 100 years for how far society has come since then.

This entire thing is a non story IMO.

Had Paula said it more recently, sure it's a different story.

30 years ago in the deep south? Nothing since? Get over it and leave her alone.

Some people will do anything to try and destroy someone.

I have read this entire thread and I just don't understand why people keep saying that this is all about a word that she said 30 years ago. Clearly there is much more to the story than that. The "much more" was also recent.

I guess each company had to analyze whether there was more of an upside to keeping her or more of a downside. For companies it's all about the bottom line. I don't see them dropping her as "punishment" per se. I think it's all about business. I wouldn't expect a corporation to act any differently.

As for the public. I think a big chunk of the public, while abhorring the behavior, can feel some sympathy for another human being who has made mistakes, (as we all have.) I think many will be willing to forgive if she shows that she's willing to move forward and do better.

I agree with Jimmy Carter, (who weighed in on the issue), that she should just let this quiet down and see how things settle. She'll always have the taint of this on her -- but she may find a niche for herself once all is said and done.

Look at the crappy things other people have done -- Bill Clinton, Lance Armstrong, Mel Gibson, Martha Stewart, Anthony Weiner, Marion Barry, Jesse Jackson. These people can't just curl up and die. They've got to move on with their life in some way or shape or form. And they seem to find a way to muddle through. Paula Deen will, too.
This is such a reasonable post! :thumbsup2

I think that part of Paula's problem could be that she sees her world crumbling around her and she's going into defense mode. She just needs to disappear for a while and let the noise die down. People will move on to the next scandal and then she can figure out where her niche might be. Or she could just retire and enjoy her later years. I doubt that she needs money.

I agree with those people who say that this whole thing is blown out of proportion. I'm not a Paula Deen fan and have never used a recipe of hers, but I just ordered her most recent cookbook (I think it is the most current; it is the one currently at #1 on Amazon) in support of her.

Of course I find it very ironic that four of the companies that have dropped Paula from their association have all been part of high profile discrimination lawsuits themselve. Walmart, Target, Kmart and Home Depot. And, yet I doubt their dropping her is from lessons learned on their parts!

I don't think discrimination or racism is really a big part of Paula's makeup. However, I do think she has made mistakes in letting family members be too involved in businesses that she is involved in. i.e. her brother. I've known of too many families who feel they have to tolerate bigoted family members to keep the peace in the family. Most Southern families are going to have that kind of member somewhere up or down the line, mine included. (A Bigoted and very redneck uncle! ugh)

She should put her own businesses through training I believe. But, then again I think the woman bringing these charges are just adding them to get to the money bags of the family too.

I have seen so much lately in the media that I can only shake my head at though. If Paula were a dyed in the wool liberal I think the media would have never covered it near as much as they have. There are way too many cases out there of those in the business that the media don't touch for any reason since they are liberal. And, in my opinion they have have made or done worse than Paula has!

Above all, Paula is one person. She can make mistakes, but at least she got up and admitted them in court. I know of few people in the business or companies that would have had the honesty to admit what she did. I can only imagine how many catering/party companies in the south at one time or another that have tossed around or thought about the 'themed' wedding she had thoughts of. But, I can tell you they would never admit it. lol Paula showed a lot more courage than they would.

At this point she can use this time wisely to review her relatives involvement in her companies and hopefully put everyone through training. After all I'm sure this is what the above four mentioned companies would say that they did!

I'm simply amazed by the people who blindly follow Paula Deen without educating themselves about the lawsuit.

Even if you disregard the charges brought against Paula and Bubba :rolleyes: and only read her deposition, it's pretty telling. Honestly I blame the media for not reporting the entire story. It's not about the word she used 30 years ago, it's about what she allowed to go on in her restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter