Has anyone else been told to keep their reservation?

We decided as a family to switch our June trip for 10 days to the week of Christmas for 7 days. We are keeping our June trip as of now, just in case of a discount we can apply towards our December trip, but we are not going in June. I see the parks being fully operational late June or after July 4.

I had a great 30% off discount for our June trip. They would not apply it toward my re-book to August. However, they didn't cancel my dates, I did. I did get to take advantage of the Sun/fun package and ended up saving more! :)

Well...I finally cancelled our July 3rd - 8th trip. It broke my heart to cancel even though I know it is for the best. I just can't see my 78 year old mother travelling any time in the next few months. My daughter and mother were both in agreement to cancel. 😭

As crazy as it sounds going in June (if open) seems smarter than rescheduleing for August-say November. They have been closed, sanitized and quiet, any germs on property are dead and gone if you go the first 1-2 weeks open but as months drag and people trickle in you are in the second wave like the spanish flu window IMO. I have a June resort only stay planned that I am leaving unless they cancel for me.
That’s my thought too. I would not plan anything for fall or winter knowing that may well be the second peak in cases as the weather cools and people get more comfortable traveling snd start to take risks again. And, by “zigging where others zag” we hope to have lower crowds when we go in August, which will help us social distance. Based on the consensus here about when people are rebooking, October-December is going to be a germ-filled zoo.

I have may 15 reservations for a week and I am holding on for now. Georgia announced April 7 was their peak and they and Tennessee are opening some businesses Friday so that will be a good test. Florida did reopen Jacksonville Beach and from the live cam footage with none of the crowd issues predicted so remaining open. I am hopeful at least that the resorts and Disney Springs at the very least will be open by then as some sources predict.

Well...I finally cancelled our July 3rd - 8th trip. It broke my heart to cancel even though I know it is for the best. I just can't see my 78 year old mother travelling any time in the next few months. My daughter and mother were both in agreement to cancel. 😭

Sorry to hear. I have a June 29-July 4th trip scheduled but will be cancelling it. I am waiting a bit to see if Disney will offer a discount for me to reschedule it instead of totally cancelling it. But regardless, we will not be going in June like I originally planned. I have to consider other family members that we interact with and what I might expose them to upon my return if we go.

Just booked my March vacation to September. They offered free dining. But WDW just furloughed almost all of their staff.

We have a reservation on June 16th at Poly. It was planned as a resorts only vacation and since we didn't even plan to do parks we stuck with the reservation. Not that it matters but the CM I spoke with recently seemed pretty confident that the resorts would be open. As far as fear of going, we have none. My family is in health care and my wife is a respiratory therapist and has seen this disease up close. We are not quite as fearful as others, perhaps because we don't spend a lot of time in front of the TV. For the media to keep viewers they have to startle and sensationalize. It's a proven formula and can be misleading. This is a terrible disease for some, but also nothing more than a walk in the park for others, likely the majority. Recent studies from USC and Stanford are indicating that a much larger percentage of the population has already been exposed, developed antibodies, and are past it. Most didn't even experience symptoms. The Stanford study indicated that the actual infected is likely up to 85x's what is officially tallied, and a mortality rate of around 0.12 to 0.2%. The USC study estimated 2.8-5.6% of the adult population of Los Angeles already had Covid-19 antibodies present, translating to around 200k-400k people. While I can not vouch for the accuracy of these studies or the mortality rate, there are also international studies that had similar findings.

If they are open, we will be there. If people are afraid, are in high-risk groups, or can expose those that are high risk, please don't go. Stay home and stay healthy. But for the vast majority of healthy people without comorbidities and with good BMI's (yes, that is a factor), when they do develop antibodies, it will be beneficial to all. International researchers are saying there are two options to beating Covid-19. 1. a vaccine, and 2. herd immunity. Since we are roughly 12+ months away from a vaccine, and it seems unrealistic to hide for more than a year, any level of normalcy will probably be dependent on segments of the population developing some level of immunity.

If they don't open, we will just go another time. This will be over at some point and many of the lessons learned may even go a long way to reducing the impact of other viruses like norovirus (many theme park visitors know this one all too well) or the seasonal flu. Some people forget that over 950,000 Americans were hospitalized and 79,000 died during the 2017-2018 flu season, and over 1 billion people were infected and as many as 575,000 died worldwide in 2009-2010 from H1N1. This will pass. Stay positive, stay healthy and more importantly, keep your mind healthy.

Last edited:

We have a reservation on June 16th at Poly. It was planned as a resorts only vacation and since we didn't even plan to do parks we stuck with the reservation. Not that it matters but the CM I spoke with recently seemed pretty confident that the resorts would be open. As far as fear of going, we have none. My family is in health care and my wife is a respiratory therapist and has seen this disease up close. We are not quite as fearful as others, perhaps because we don't spend a lot of time in front of the TV. For the media to keep viewers they have to startle and sensationalize. It's a proven formula and can be misleading. This is a terrible disease for some, but also nothing more than a walk in the park for others, likely the majority. Recent studies from USC and Stanford are indicating that a much larger percentage of the population has already been exposed, developed antibodies, and are past it. Most didn't even experience symptoms. The Stanford study indicated that the actual infected is likely up to 85x's what is officially tallied, and a mortality rate of around 0.12 to 0.2%. The USC study estimated 2.8-5.6% of the adult population of Los Angeles already had Covid-19 antibodies present, translating to around 200k-400k people. While I can not vouch for the accuracy of these studies or the mortality rate, there are also international studies that had similar findings.

If they are open, we will be there. If people are afraid, are in high-risk groups, or can expose those that are high risk, please don't go. Stay home and stay healthy. But for the vast majority of healthy people without comorbidities and with good BMI's (yes, that is a factor), when they do develop antibodies, it will be beneficial to all. International researchers are saying there are two options to beating Covid-19. 1. a vaccine, and 2. herd immunity. Since we are roughly 12+ months away from a vaccine, and it seems unrealistic to hide for more than a year, any level of normalcy will probably be dependent on segments of the population developing some level of immunity.

If they don't open, we will just go another time. This will be over at some point and many of the lessons learned may even go a long way to reducing the impact of other viruses like norovirus (many theme park visitors know this one all too well) or the seasonal flu. Some people forget that over 950,000 Americans were hospitalized and 79,000 died during the 2017-2018 flu season, and over 1 billion people were infected and as many as 575,000 died worldwide in 2009-2010 from H1N1. This will pass. Stay positive, stay healthy and more importantly, keep your mind healthy.
Great post.
My husband and I are frontline workers too in radiology . I agree with everything you said. We have a trip for early August and we plan on going.
We will be wise and bring sanitizer and supplies with us as we always do. We are not high risk. Since we are treating Covid patients at our hospital we are hopefully building antibodies.
Stay safe and have a great trip.

Well said & I agree completely and have something booked 20-27th of June. My older mother was supposed to tag along with a family trip - she's not now but we're still hoping to go. Fingers crossed they'll at least have some attractions opened by then...I am a little worried about booking a trip later for when things are back to normality - say late 2021 hopefully after a vaccine has been developed and distributed just b/c I think it'll be holiday levels for a year or so with so much built up demand (if there's an economy that supports travel at that point in time.)

So I called yesterday to cancel my May 23-30 reservation. The CM on the phone was fairly positive about the whole thing and suggested keeping it because he thought there would be more information on May 1.

Take that for what you will. I still rebooked for the end of July.

So I called yesterday to cancel my May 23-30 reservation. The CM on the phone was fairly positive about the whole thing and suggested keeping it because he thought there would be more information on May 1.

Take that for what you will. I still rebooked for the end of July.
That's so weird...we just called two days ago about our May 26th-June 1st trip, and the CM said we were being smart/safe for shifting the trip to July.

They have been closed, sanitized and quiet, any germs on property are dead and gone if you go the first 1-2 weeks open but as months drag and people trickle in you are in the second wave like the spanish flu window IMO.
You can't really compare the Spanish Flu second wave to Covid-19. The Spanish Flu mutated and was more deadly for the older population that contracted it than the first wave. The spread of the second wave was also hastened by world events like the mass migration of soldiers after the war. The second wave of Covid could be worse if it happens. However, I don't think you can use the 1918 as a template for this virus.

You can't really compare the Spanish Flu second wave to Covid-19. The Spanish Flu mutated and was more deadly for the older population that contracted it than the first wave. The spread of the second wave was also hastened by world events like the mass migration of soldiers after the war. The second wave of Covid could be worse if it happens. However, I don't think you can use the 1918 as a template for this virus.

Yes, I understand that. I just meant in general a second wave will come as people get back to normal life, which could be worse. The parade and mass migration made the 1918 flu much worse than I suspect this second wave could be but in general a second wave will most likely come.

So I called and cancelled my 5/27-6/2 reservation today. Was on hold for 25 minutes listening to ride music which was nice. I wasn't offered anything for a future stay and if I didn't know better I wouldn't think anything of it. I have a reservation the end of August so maybe that's why. I just think she wanted to get on with the call.

So I called and cancelled my 5/27-6/2 reservation today. Was on hold for 25 minutes listening to ride music which was nice. I wasn't offered anything for a future stay and if I didn't know better I wouldn't think anything of it. I have a reservation the end of August so maybe that's why. I just think she wanted to get on with the call.
I have not heard of anyone getting offered when they cancelled, only people who were forced to cancel

I have not heard of anyone getting offered when they cancelled, only people who were forced to cancel

Makes sense. I have to make my final payment on Sunday so I know I would have had the bill come in before the credit hit my account. I don't use the Disney Visa that much so didn't want to pay for a trip I knew I wasn't going to go on and carry a credit on my card.

That's so weird...we just called two days ago about our May 26th-June 1st trip, and the CM said we were being smart/safe for shifting the trip to July.
Yeah, I’m not sure what the deal was- maybe he was just overly optimistic? Or distracted by the launch at Cape Canaveral- we talked about travel to the moon and Mars for a good bit!

I'm in Illinois and our governor announced yesterday that we will remain on lockdown the entire month of May. :guilty:

I called today and asked about it. It seemed like you have to mention the promotion, they won’t necessarily tell you about it if you don’t ask first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter