Has anyone eaten at The Lady and Sons while in Savannah

Doctor P

<font color=navy><font color=navy>Chocolate covere
On our way from the Disney cruise to DVC-Hilton Head we are going to stop in Savannah briefly. As part of our stop in Savannah I made reservations at The Lady and Sons for their Sunday brunch/dinner. Has anyone eaten there? It is supposed to be fantastic and I know The Lady has/had a Food Network show, so I was interested in whether anyone had eaten there while at or traveling to Hilton Head.

We ate at Lady and Sons 3 or 4 years ago. It was excellent but we had to wait quite a while for a table. We have visited Savannah a few times and there has always been people standing outside waiting for a table.

JR

Any other places would someone suggest to eat lunch or early dinner like Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House, etc.?

Many of the restaurants we considered, including Mrs. Wilkes, are only open Monday thru Friday. Indeed, The Lady and Sons' Sunday hours are just 11 am- 5pm. Mrs. Wilkes' came very highly recommended to us.

Omigod. I ate lunch at Lady and Sons last Friday! My DW and I were on a trip to Savannah for our 10th anniversary. It was a great, relaxing B&B trip. I must say that Lady and Sons was one of the biggest highlights of the trip for me.

It is a rather common looking restaurant with the usual southern cooking, but it is a big step above anything I have had before in taste. The fried chicken and fried fish on the buffet were good, but nothing special for us. The veggies and sides, on the other hand, were nothing short of excellent. I had the best green beans, mac n cheese, and sweet potatoes that I have ever had. I also tried the grits and collard greens which were better than expected but just not my thing. I ate way too much and then topped it off with a small but delectable dish of peach cobbler. We would have gone back were it not for the difficulty of getting reservations and those overstuffed feelings afterward.

If you are not able to get reservations, arrive early and they may be trying to fill some of the bigger tables with smaller walk-up pairs. They were doing that on the day we were there.

We also enjoyed the River House and Exchange Tavern on River Street. River House has an in-house bakery with great pies, eclairs, etc. Exchange Tavern is great for a quick sandwich and drink for dinner when you're too full from eating at L&Ss ;). Mrs. Wilkes operates under very limited hours and we did not make it there.

If you go to Savannah, do your best to stop by Lady and Sons. You will not regret it. I would not think of missing it myself!

Now I'm hungry!!!:smooth:

Try the hoecakes with syrup!!! They are yummy!!

We went to Lady & Sons on our trip to Savannah in April 2002. We loved it! Went for lunch and man, we were stuffed!!!

We really wanted to go there because we had seen Paula Deen (the "lady") on Food Network. She's a total nut! We thought her restaurant must be fantastic because she's crazy! We did love it and plan to go back if we ever get to Hilton Head. If you can catch the show "Paula Deen Home Cookin" (I think) on Food Network she's the owner.

We also enjoyed our lunch at The Pirate's House(?). Its the oldest building or restaurant or something in Savannah (1763? or so). The food was good and the atmosphere was interesting. They have copies of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" on the walls. This place was mentioned in his book and influential supposedly.

We also had lunch at The Shrimp Factory down on the Riverwalk. Pretty good too. There's so many places to eat in Savannah!

We just loved our trip there! Take a day to walk around the squares-- the landscaping and houses are amazing!!

loveswdw

Yes, but I live here!!! The food is great!!!
As a side note, Mrs. Wilkes has passed away, and there has been some speculation as to whether or not the boarding house will stay open. Last I heard, it was closed. Her son and daughter in law may not reopen it. Check just to make sure though, it's great as well. Also, for a quick snack if you're down on River Street, try Spanky's . World Famous Chicken fingers are a must!! (you have to order them with spuds, they are awesome)
Anyway, glad to have you in our fair city! hope you have a great time!!

Not too many locals eat there, it's basically a tourist thing. Also, not to be a major downer or anything, they don't usually get great scores on their health dept. inspections.....the newspaper here posts a list of all of them once a year. But, on the positive side, they've been closed for over a year and a half, and have just recently reopened so maybe they've cleaned up a bit.

Originally posted by KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
Not too many locals eat there, it's basically a tourist thing. Also, not to be a major downer or anything, they don't usually get great scores on their health dept. inspections.....the newspaper here posts a list of all of them once a year. But, on the positive side, they've been closed for over a year and a half, and have just recently reopened so maybe they've cleaned up a bit.
Just curious....Are you talking about The Pirate's House? If so, I wondered why it was closed. They told me "environmental reasons", and I was thinking lead in the paint or asbestos or something.
I was always a sucker for history and atmosphere, but cleanliness trumps that!!!

Thanx....:cool:

I'll try to explain, it may be a little hard to understand though... The restaurant is located near River Street.... If you've ever been here, you know that River Street is down below Bay St. (a main roadway).... Anyway, the Pirate's House is up on Bay St. and the retaining wall, I guess you could call it, also had some other buildings built on top of it...anyway, one of the buildings built up there was some kind of old oil storage area or something, and the ground was saturated with oil....they removed the building to clean up the oil, and the wall collapsed...it was a big deal, one of the workers got trapped inside the "wall" and they had to amputate his arm to get him out...So, the Pirate's House was closed while they cleaned up the contaminated soil.

Mrs Wilkes is still closed. A few other places I like to go, for fresh fish is Tubby's Tank house, the Exchange Tavern and Olympia Cafe are good for lunch, and I'll agree with Kristinsmommy, Spankys is THE place to go for chicken fingers and honey horseradish dippin' sauce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter