• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone done the dolphin excursion with a preschooler?

jprothn

Earning My Ears
Hi - I am so happy to have found these boards. I want to make the most of our Disney Magic (Western) vacation on Feb 11. 2006.

I will be travelling with my husband and our 3 year old. I have been swimming with dolphins before and loved it. I would love to take my daughter. She is very cool, and used to travelling with us. I highly doubt she would be scared. (Though you never know with this age group). She doesn't swim, so I was thinking of taking her on the excursion where you go in the water and can pet the dolphins etc.

Anyone tried this or had any little ones along when you went?

Grateful for any info.

Thanks, Jennifer

We didn't do the same one you are considering. But we did the dolphin encounter in Naussau, as part of our 4 night Wonder cruise. We had my 3 yo ds and 5yop dd with us. My dd is the one who is usually gung ho to try anything and she was a bit nervous. She did participate fully, except for giving the dolphin a kiss, she just gave it two hugs instead (she wasn't scared to feel his teeth, but was for a kiss :confused3 .) My 3yo ds who is usually more reserved about new things absolutely LOVED it and was beyond excited with the whole thing. Overall we all had a great experience and I am so glad that we decided to do it (dh had to really convince me, because I thought we'd do better with the kids at Atlantis). The kids have already asked to go back and do an actual dolphin swim when they are older. And the picture we got of our family with the dolphin is our best family picture we've EVER taken. I just scanned it for use on my Christmas cards. :)

We did this exact excursion on our 09/2002 Western cruise with our daughter who was, at the time, 3 yrs & 2 months. She LOVED it and still talks about Eva (the dolphin that we had for our group). At the time we figured, what the heck, it's kind of pricey but this is a once in a lifetime experience for her. We are going on the Western cruise again next October & our thinking of doing it again so our 3YO son will also get that "once in a lifetime" experience! ;)

We went to the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel with my DD4. She did not like the life jacket or waiting part at all. We almost ended up not doing the encounter since she refused to budge about halfway around the walkway to the dolphins. After a little discussion she decided it was okay and we joined a different group as the last people in the water. From them on it was FANTASTIC! She was too short to come close to reaching the platform, but I just held on to her life jacket the entire time. They held her for me when it was my turn, so that worked out well. She was ready to get out of the water about the same time it ended - grinning ear to ear.

Sweet Sue

for your responses. I think my daughter would love it but I just wasn't sure of the logistics. Now, I'm definitely taking her. And thanks to the person who said about the waiting in line. I like to know those things in advance with the little one.

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter