Has anyone done the Backstage Magic Tour?

DH and I did it last year. We really enjoyed it. I found seeing all the areas very interesting, even the laundry facilities. Going in costume faculty was my favorite though. Even over the utilitors. I did find it was worth the money. No where else to get the inner workings

I did it several years ago. While I liked a few parts of the tour (like the costume area), unfortunately I thought many parts weren't very interesting. I really, really WANTED like it, but didn't. For example, the Hollywood Studios part of the tour consisted of looking at a "sample" car of ToT, which was sitting in a parking lot behind the building,and having them explain a little about its design for about five minutes. Of all of the things to see at DHS, this is what they picked? A ride car in a parking lot? At Epcot, we went backstage in the American Pavilion show. There were too many of us for such a small space, plus it was really dark, and those of standing in the back couldn't see what the tour guides were talking about (how the show worked "backstage"). Several of us gave up trying to see anything and just walked outside.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the tour just didn't seem very dynamic to me. It wasn't worth the money to me (at the time, about $200), and took up almost a whole day. I was disappointed.

In contrast, I absolutely loved the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK and what used to be called the Backstage Safari tour at AK. Both of these tours were fascinating to me. So I definitely like/love WDW tours, but not Backstage Magic.

Last edited:

I have done this tour twice. The first time in 2012. Epcot-American Adventure, MK- utilidors only, ST- Tower of Terror in maintenance bay in the building, AK- Parade Floats for Jammin Jungle Parade, Cast Member Service where costumes are laundered and stored, Greenhouse/Nursery which ALLOWED pictures, Central Shops, and Creative Costume where costumes are designed. The second tour was 2016. Things were eliminated or changed since 2012. Epcot-American Adventure same, MK- utilidors with VIP Festival of Fantasy Parade, ST- Tower of Terror in maintenance bay in the building same, AK- 10 minute talk with conservation education cast member with Wild Africa Trek, Greenhouse/Nursery which DID NOT allow pictures, Central Shops, and Creative Costume where costumes are designed. On that tour we were told that Creative Costume would be moved into another building due to Star Wars construction, so I don't know if it is still part of the tour. Both tours had very good guides. You get their perspective not a canned spiel for each section and based on questions asked during the tour. (I took notes for scrapbook journal.) I would love to hear update for 2018 especially for Animal Kingdom. I wonder if the Animal Kingdom part now includes something from Pandora or Rivers of Light backstage and if the move did take place for Star Wars. I will wait until all of the construction is done and take a third tour probably in 2021.

Our tour no longer went to HS or AK at all. Too much construction at both.
Still did American Adventure at Epcot to learn about Audiotronics. Went to Central shop area to see ride maintenance shop and went to the sign print shop. Went to costume design. This was the main building where they did ask the work on the costumes. We were reminded that we were in a working office and to keep our voices down. It was not in a park. Went to laundry facilities. Went to one of the decorating warehouses. Then ended at MK in the Utlidors and got to view the parade. Lunch was at Whispering Caynon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter