Has anyone done "Kingdom Keepers Quest"?

C-CMom

Mouseketeer
Hi all - I was looking at the Disney Y.E.S. Program web pages, and saw "Kingdom Keepers Quest" program/ticket packages (based on the Ridley Pearson book series).

Has anyone done this? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Just checked it out on the YES website.

It looks like a really fun experience if you have a group of kids.

I have a friend (we've been friends since 3rd grade-a long time ago:laughing:) who lives in Jacksonville. She usually comes to see us when we go to WDW. I emailed her when I finalized the dates for my May trip she said her DD is going to be doing this with her 6th grade class the week we are there. My DS would LOVE this!!!

Just started reading this series and would love to do something like that!

I am re-reading the series in preparation for the fifth book coming out in April. I saw a thread on the DIS about a possible movie (which I am against, I wouldn't want them to recreate the scenes.)
Where can I find out more about this activity? Might be fun!
Thanks for the info! :cool1:

We were just in Disney a few weeks ago for Disney Home school Days where Ridley Pearson did a presentation in celebration of literacy week. We were actually given a copy of the Kingdom Keepers quest, but did not have a chance to do it while we were there. The presentation was on Thursday at HS (KKQ is for the MK) and we left on Saturday. Anyway, it looks really cool and we plan on using it on our next trip in October. My DD, 8, and my husband are both reading the KK series. I don't know if this helps, but I thought I would chime in and share :)

That last post from WDWpatriot, was from me. I was accidentally logged in under my DH .:rotfl:

We were actually given a copy of the Kingdom Keepers quest...

Thanks for sharing, wdwpatriot/WDWMommyof3. If you don't mind my asking - is it a large amount of "material" for the quest? Few sheets, booklet, book size - just wondering about the scope of the "quest"? Also wondering do you think this would take lots of time to really do "right" with great attention to detail, or more of a passing amusement that you could fit in with typical touring?

Thanks! :wizard:

I would like to find out more about the Kingdom Keepers Quest. I visited a website earlier this evening and showed my three daughters. My daughters became interested in this right away. If you have any information on this at all, regarding pricing, age limits, etc., please respond. Thanks! :)

Thanks for sharing, wdwpatriot/WDWMommyof3. If you don't mind my asking - is it a large amount of "material" for the quest? Few sheets, booklet, book size - just wondering about the scope of the "quest"? Also wondering do you think this would take lots of time to really do "right" with great attention to detail, or more of a passing amusement that you could fit in with typical touring?

Thanks! :wizard:

The packet consists of a map, similar in size to a standard park map, a teachers guide, 8 1/2x11spiral bound/30 pages, a student guide, 1/3 of the size of the teachers guide but also spiral bound w/ 42 pages. The quest consists of 14 stations throughout the MK. IMO, it would be best utilized to devote the time out to do the quest. That's not saying you couldn't do it along with your other touring. I don't know what they charge for it, but it seems pretty cool for those who have read or are reading the books!! I plan on reading them all as well before we return in October. I just think it will make the experience that much better.

Very interesting. Thanks, WDWMommyof3.

I saw "ticket packages" (which we actually don't really need), but not a price for separate materials (which I might want to purchase). Oh well, if such a purchase option doesn't currently exist, we'll just keep reading the books before we go. Will still be fun to do our own "quest".

I haven't made it very far in the series, but so far in book one I've decided to never go in Small World again... ;)

Love seeing info about Ridley Pearson. I have an interesting perspective regarding the author. I have been a nanny twenty yrs for a family here in St. Louis, Kirkwood to be exact and they bought their house from the Pearson's 5 yrs ago. He used the carriage house apartment as his writing den (which the 3 boys now use for parties). He is the nicest, most un-assuming man you will ever meet. I've been around him numerous times and he always goes out of his way to be friendly. He also left autographed books for the kids in their new bedrooms when he moved out.
The coolest perk is the fact that publishing houses STILL, after all these years, send 'curteousy copies' of books that haven't yet been released for general sale. He was also on some sort of review board for Hollywood movies and for the first year or so, movies would be delivered to the house. His mother still lives a few houses down the street.
I love the Kingdom Keepers series and have started reading them with my 7 yr old. I am going to look into the Y.E.S. program.

Like WDWMommyof3, we got the materials on our trip last month but didn't really have time to tackle the quest so they'll be coming along with us on our next visit. The materials for the quest are very well presented, with both a student and leader edition as well as a map with locations that featured prominently in the books marked. I was really excited to see that as an inclusion with the Literacy Week presentation because to register for the KKQ you have to have a group of 10+ so it isn't something we'd ever have a chance to do under normal circumstances.

I'm really looking forward to actually doing the quest with DD but with 7 of us on the last trip we just had too many people's priorities to work around. It really isn't something that fits well into general park touring; we tried, and decided after the first couple steps that we really had to dedicate some park time specifically to the quest. The next trip should be just me & her, so we'll try it then.

We would love to do this program, but it's unlikely we would have a group of ten kids... Do adults count toward that group number?

Can you buy the material separately?

Good news! According to his website, Ridley Pearson has made a new quest that's for anyone, and should be available in the Birnbaum books in Sept 2012. (He also said that he's working on a new YES program for Animal Kingdom.)

From the website:

The Kingdom Keepers Quest takes place in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom and is for school groups of ten or more kids. School groups apply through Disney' s Youth Educational Services (YES). Groups get a special price to enter the Magic Kingdom and the teacher facilitates the Quest.

I am working on a second YES program for the Animal Kingdom.

I am now producing a Quest for ANYONE to take! The Quest will be available September 2012 in the Birnbaum books. You can purchase the books in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter