Has anyone braved the crowds at Christmas week?

molly2004

DIS Veteran
We will be in Orlando Christmas week for my dad's 80th bday so the parks are not the reason we are there and cannot change it. We are not interested in much else other than the parks so might brave it.

Who would do it again?

I've heard a lot about going early. Has anyone tried going late and staying late? Like 6 to closing?we realize we won't see everything but don't want to be miserable either.

Please share! :yay:

We usually go the first couple of weeks in December and we are fine with the crowds. My logic is any day at Disney is better than any day anywhere else! Even if it's crowded, just expect delays and a little pushing and shoving. Have a wonderful time!

I can't speak for Disney, but I took my two young sons last year to Universal over Xmas week. We stayed on site, and did HP at EE, so ride waits were never an issue- except for One Fish Two Fish as the line was SOOOOOO long we couldn't even get to the express entrance. This year we're going the week before Xmas and hope to go on that ride, and eat at 3 broomsticks.

Over Xmas, Mornings were ok crowd wise. I would say up until lunch or so you could comfortably walk around. However...... it became pretty jammed later in the day into the evening. By the evening it was shoulder to shoulder, you could not walk through all the strollers, ECVs, and people everywhere!

But regardless of that, we still enjoyed ourselves!

Christmas to New Years is a very busy time in the darkside parks.

if you stay on site, use the express lines, you will be better off.
the park crowds will still be there but the line waits will be shorter than the regular lines.
walking in the park will still be an issue though even when staying onsite.

the only way i would do the holidays at the darkside would be by staying onsite.

If I decide to stay on site to get the express pass, would I need to book a package through Universal? Or would I still be able to use the discount tickets I get through my employer?

If I decide to stay on site to get the express pass, would I need to book a package through Universal? Or would I still be able to use the discount tickets I get through my employer?

book room only and buy your park tickets thru undercover tourist.
in your case maybe the employed discounted tickets are cheaper than the ones at UT.
cheaper that way.

anyone guest that is in one of the 3 onsite hotels recieves perks.

early enty and unlimited usage of the express lines are two of them.

packages are where you get the room and tickets together.
their cancellation policy is much different from booking room only.

some book offsite UO packages to be allowed the early entry perk.

Thanks a bunch.

Just took the plug for a one nighter. Never thought I'd ever pay $400 for a hotel room....particularly when I don't even plan to use it. first time for everything I guess.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks a bunch.

Just took the plug for a one nighter. Never thought I'd ever pay $400 for a hotel room....particularly when I don't even plan to use it. first time for everything I guess.

Thanks for your help!

It is well worth it and important to note, ALL universal hotels are considered Deluxe hotels.So the price is on par with Disney deluxe resorts

you'll get two days of the hotel perks.
for the day you check in and the day you check out.
hotel perks are valid in the park until it closes at night.

early entry and unlimited usage of the express lines by staying only one night.

(or should i say for booking a one night room)

you could use the room when you want to take a break during the day.
it might come in handy for a quiet place to relax for a few hours.

hope you have a fun visit at the darkside.

be sure to go to guest services for a birthday pin for your dad.

I'm planning on being at IOA on Christmas day - peak pricing does not start til Dec 26th so hopefully it may be a little quieter ;)
Planning on arriving early, very early (staying offsite fro the first time for ages!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter