has anyone bought 2 oneway tickets?

mrsgrumpybear

Earning My Ears
I have been doing some figuring, with the current airfair prices between Airtran and Southwest. And the cheeper way to go (even with adding in the baggage fee per bag with Airtran) is buying a oneway ticket from each airline. Has anyone done that? Is there any problems going through securty with only having a oneway ticket?

I do it all the time. In fact, I just booked one way for our cruise in July. Maybe I won't come back?!

It isn't like the "old days" any more, when you usually bought round trip airfare from one airline. I buy 2-oneway tickets all the time. Never had a problem thru security.

Round trip tickets are usually more expensive. I shop for our flights. Cheaper one way flight gets it. Spread out the buying too. Bought 6 going in February didn't decide to buy the return until May. My sister kept asking me if I had decided to ever return from Disney.
Shop around.

We are flying Southwest to MCO and returning on Airtran. I went with the cheapest flights, and for us, buying 1 way tickets have always been cheaper.

I have done this a couple of times now! At times it has been less expensive to buy two one-ways on different airlines than a round trip with a companion ticket for us. You just never know! We didn't have any problem with it either!

I also am doing this in Oct. I am flying down on SW, but as of now...no idea who will get me home. SW has a flight and I even caught it when the price was down, but I decided I would rather pay a little more and leave later at night.

I just started doing this. Our trip in Oct was booked, each way separately. I bought my one way to MCO back in April, when the flight and time I wanted dropped. I had to wait about 7-8 weeks, then found return fare dropped one night to a resonable amount. I did get both ways through Continental, but would have booked other if price was right.

We are doing this in 2 weeks. O/W ACY to MCO, and O/W TPA to ACY.
AirTran out and Spirit on the return.

The only problem I can see with buying two one-way tickets on different airlines arises if you have to cancel your trip. If both airlines charge a change fee to use the value of your ticket on a future flight - you could have very little credit left to apply to a future flight. For example - last October I flew to Orlando on AirTran and home on American. AirTran charges a $75 change fee and American charges $150, so it's a good thing I didn't have to cancel or make changes to my flights!

Because SW has a window that lets you book only up to a certain date, we have to buy one ways. We are booked now for October 30 but the return window does not open up until June 23rd. We can get down to WDW but can't get home but who cares! Security is only looking at your ticket for that day.

I have been doing some figuring, with the current airfair prices between Airtran and Southwest. And the cheeper way to go (even with adding in the baggage fee per bag with Airtran) is buying a oneway ticket from each airline. Has anyone done that? Is there any problems going through securty with only having a oneway ticket?

I do it a lot now also, especially with SW since you can change just one leg that way, and not have to worry about messing up any other legs of your trip. And security doesnt know if you have only a one way tick purchased or not.

Well, I'm sure they could find out if they really cared, but they are more to make sure the person getting on the flight is who they say they are, that they dont have any stuff that shouldnt be on the plane etc etc.

We have done one way tickets on different airlines the past couple of WDW trips and it worked out fine. No hassles at airport security, and since we were flying JetBlue home we saved on the checked bag fee for at least one flight.

We are doing a multi-city trip this November. When I price it altogether as a multi-city, the price is always much higher than if I price it as 3 separate one-ways.

I just did it for our trip in August. Brought SW BWI to MCO for $74. Don't know how we're getting back yet. The current SW flight back is $129. We may take Airtran, which is $77 now, but I am hoping the SW flight will go down to at least $79. :)

Do this all the time. Flew Air tran BUF-MCO down last year with the DD's and home we flew Air Canada MCO-YYZ.
All I had to do at the border was show the customs officer that we did have return flights booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter