Has anyone been to WDW MK on July 4th?

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Has anyone been to WDW MK on July 4th?

Any Tips on how to enjoy WDW Magic Kingdom on July 4, 2018?

I have never been on July 4th, but I really want to enjoy the nightly fireworks. That is my main goal. I will be by myself using my own mobility scooter. Not that it makes a difference because I can stand with a cane, but I try not to use the handicap area even though it will only be myself

I know that I would have to find a space very early before the fireworks and I was thinking about standing behind one of those fences that surround the grassy area, if that is allowed.

I don't have a map in front of me, but when they used to have reserved grassy area to watch the fireworks, I noticed that the walkway in front many people were allowed to stand on the far side of the walkway facing the castle.

I have also been searching the forum using the phrase July 4th.

I didn't realize that the MK July 4th fireworks are shown on July 3rd and July 4th.

I also didn't realize that they showed the Epcot July 4th fireworks, too. I know where to sit at Epcot, but boy is so hard to find a spot with everyone standing at MK.

Any suggestions or experiences are welcome.

Thank you in advance, Ray

Last edited:
We've been there several times, and honestly now that we've done it a few times we go somewhere else on July 4th...Epcot or HS. Don't get me wrong, I think if you have the opportunity to try it, you do it, but it's definitely very crowded.

The morning actually isn't bad at all. I'd guess that's because a lot of people wait until afternoon to show up. We've gone at 9am and were able to get a ton of rides in before 2pm. But once you get to mid-afternoon it gets very crowded. The hub in the evening is extremely packed. I can't comment on the best spot for a scooter, but perhaps try to get in front of one of the fences so that nobody can stand right in front of you. You need to be very early, like 90 minutes or more.

Epcot fireworks on the 4th are awesome. We did them last summer and really enjoyed it. We also liked that while it was very busy, it's not a sea of humanity like MK is. We literally walked up 10 minutes before the fireworks started and found a good (not the best) spot.

there is no longer an area for handicap for the fireworks. I would get there early if you want to see the fireworks in front of the castle. ( like a few hours early). I watched them from behind the castle ( I was in a wheelchair since I had some medical problems ) I got there about an hour before had the wheelchair right on the taped line on the ground and had a pretty nice view ( a good number go off behind the park so have your back towards the castle. The Day was not that bad it started to get really crowded a few hours before the fireworks. If you can I would do the dessert party.

But this first map of the MK by DIS poster Robo shows what I was trying to talk about watching. In front of the "old" Wishes Dessert Part grassy area there is a walkway. I was thinking about finding a spot across the walkway in purple color at the gate. Do think that will still allow people to stand against the fence there? Especially on such a busy night.

MK-Hub-WishesDessert_110516_zpsom6xmfei.jpg

Here is another Robo map showing the different viewing area's of the fireworks.

MK-HEA-Fireworks_052817_zpslmfletkv.jpg

During my search, I found some maps from a DIS poster named Robo. If I were watching fireworks from outside the MK park, I like the Grand Floridian dock. I don't know if they allow it on special holidays like July 4th. I have heard that at the Polynesian Resort they only allow resort reservation guest on the beach to watch firework on holiday nights.

GF-FW-Narcoo-BE_072708.jpg

I have also watched MK fireworks at the Ferry dock on the Ticket and Transportation Center side.

TTC-Fwx_022013_zpsf1a4f7f1.jpg

In the past when I had a dinner reservation at the Contempory Resort's California Grill on the 15th floor, I could see it and also go out on the restaurant's observation deck. I bet that it will be sold out on July 4th. They used to let you just go up to the California bar and be allowed to see the fireworks, too. But I doubt they will on such a big holiday.

MK-CR-BE-Deck-S_090308.gif

MK-CR-Sat-Fwx-Deck_112312.gif

Robo says, At Wilderness Lodge, the "secret place" to watch the MK fireworks is from the northern area of the Cast Member (CM) Parking Lot. I have seen the fireworks at the WL dock. Once I was luck and show the regular MK fireworks on the boat ride from WL to MK. I didn't really try to time it. I was just lucky.

I know this is an older map not showing the new DVC units at WL.

WL-N_CM-Lot_091809.gif

Robo says,
At the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Marina (angle shown on the map below,) some of the view (especially of the "Fantasyland" pyro) is blocked by the now unused Discovery Island in Bay Lake and by the high-rise buildings of the Contemporary Resort.

But, the view from the Ft. Wilderness' sand beach (farther north) is more open.
Still the tree-level can block the views of the lower-firing pyro.

Here are the angles of the views in the Bay Lake area by Robo.

MK-Bay-Fwx-Views_012913_zps8f10ed57.jpg

Robo says, Below are the angles of the views in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

MK-7Seas-Resorts-Fwx_012913_zps84390ca0.jpg

If you are a DVC member, watching the fireworks from the top of the Bay Lake Resort is wonderful. But I bet that they may restrict that on July 4th to just DVC members that own at Bay Lake Resort. I don't really know.

Here is a link to all of Robo's maps at the linkhttps://www.disboards.com/threads/maps-of-wdw-by-robo-65-maps-more.3545729/

I know some of the maps may be older, but DIS Robo did a great job.

I thought that these maps might interest some of you.

I sure would like to hear from some of your experiences, too.

Especially inside the MK park for July 4th

Thank you in advance, Ray Sharpton

Epcot fireworks on the 4th are awesome. We did them last summer and really enjoyed it. We also liked that while it was very busy, it's not a sea of humanity like MK is. We literally walked up 10 minutes before the fireworks started and found a good (not the best) spot.

I agree with this. Unless you are absolutely determined to be at MK for July 4th, Epcot is a great alternative because the fireworks are extraordinary and unlike 'regular' Illuminations which require a good view of the lagoon to really experience the show, all you need is a relatively unobstructed view of the sky to experience the fireworks. Both the sight and sound of the fireworks are unbelievable.

We avoided MK on the 4th and instead went to EPCOT which, with the crowds & heat, were much more manageable. However, bc MK does the same fireworks show on July 3rd, we made dinner reservations at Kona Cafe and then went out to the beach to enjoy the show. The music is piped in and we could watch without being elbow to elbow. It was a little crowded out there but not terrible.

We did MK fireworks on July 3 and stood behind the castle. It wasn't bad at all honestly. I would do that again over Spring Break 100 times over!!

The Grand Floridian dock is a great place to watch them and there won't be anyone there to question you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter