Has anyone been to PORiverside lately?

AllSaints

Beverly=Delicious
I just switched out reservations from AKL to POR for my husband and myself and another couple who are going for the first time. We've been there before (2008) and loved it, but I'm reading some really scary reviews of it online and I'm wondering if I should move the reservations again. We've stayed here, POFQ and AKL, but have never stayed at CBR or CSR as far as moderates go. Someone help quell my fears..:eek:

Although we have never stayed at POR-Riverside, it would be our second (and probably only) other choice of a moderate if ours were not available. Unfortunately, people tend to post bad reviews or problems more than they do good things. You will read of poor mousekeeping or bus service at almost every resort. If the theme appeals to you and you loved it, then stick with it. If you have a problem, ask to speak to a manager at the front desk.

***You don't indicate when you are going (or I missed it). The POR-Riverside will be undergoing a rehab next year some time.

Have been going to POR every year for the last few and was there for a week in October. We had no problems at all. Rooms were clean, grounds were beautiful and the service was good. I do have a preference for the Bayou section. It's seems more inviting and relaxing than the mansions. It's a big place so be sure to know where the closest bus stop is.

My only complaint (and it's the same for many of the resorts) is the menu in the restaurant and food court has lost some of it's better items, IMHO. I recommend both of these food options as good food, but not memorable.

Be sure to check out the piano show in the bar one evening and say "Hello" to Lee, one of the bartenders, at the Muddy River Pool Bar. I rank the pool bar at POR as one of the nicest on property.

Relax, POR is the best of the moderate resorts.

www.drinkingatdisney.com

We were there the first week in September and did not have one single negative issue with the resort. We had a really nice time, food court was great, room was maybe in need of a refurb decor wise, but still cozy , very clean, and pleasant enough. The pool was great fun, the staff ranged anywhere from fine to outstanding. We loved the boat to DTD, the landscaping and the bus service. Really, I have absolutely no complaints.:)

No worries!!!!!! We love it! It's perfect! We also go with the Magnolia Bend section. Stop by to listen to Yee Haw Bob one night, he is great! I love the food court for breakfast. It has so many options!!!!!

Thanks guys. I've stayed here before and really love it. I wanted to save some money so I changed from AKL to POR and since we're going with good friends who've never been to Disney, I wanted to make sure they had as great a time as possible (I'm acting as consierge for the trip). I know there are crummy reviews for every resort considering how many people come and go on a weekly basis, but I just needed to hear some good reviews since I haven't been there for a few years.

I head there are some refurbs going on in April 2011 and I'm hoping it won't interfere with our trip too much..

OK, so I know I may be on my own on this one, but I am at the World right now. We stayed offsite the first week and went to check in at PO Riverside for our second week. Here's what went down. Months ago we requested building 18 in the Alligator Bayou. I know you don't always get your requests, but they stuck us in building 95 in the Mansions! We were miles away from everything, and if that wasn't bad enough once in the room we are so disapointed. The bathroom sinks had what I hope was chocolate splashed all over the pedistals, the floor had food chunks, not crumbs but several chunks all over the floors and the jack for the internet was hanging out of the wall so all sorts of bunches of wires were sticking out from the wall and the jack itself was about two inches out of the wall. There was no cord for the internet and the room smelled like mold so bad we proped open the door to air it out. Needless to say it was bad, and not up to disney standards at all. We called the reservations and they connected us to the front, we asked to be switched they didnt have anything, so they gave us Coronado as a change. Let me tell you that was the short version of that story it took them TWO HOURS to find us a room!!! By two hours I was hoping they would throw us in a deluxe but they were not helpful since I had to keep calling and asking if they found anything and was told that they were looking still. I just found it hard to believe that it took so long to find us a room. We almost took our money back and went to stay off property. Anyway once they got us in a decent room at Coronado it was ok. Once at Coronado I even busted out in tears from the sadness that I felt because I love it here so much and it was the first time I felt screwed by Disney. I am not overly thrilled to be at CS. I have stayed here before and they did put us in a close building to the main lobby at least, but if I wanted to stay there I would have booked Coronado. We asked for AKL, but they wouldnt let us use our pin codes and tried to say it was going to cost me an additional 315.00 per NIGHT to upgrade! I love love Disney and it just broke my heart to have such a bad experience. This is our third trip here this year and are coming back in six weeks for an adult trip. We live in Maine so it's not like it's easy to get here. This is the first time I felt disney backed me into a corner and couldn't care less if we were satisfied or not. Good luck with your decision, but in our case we will NOT ever stay at PO. I hope you have a great trip!!! :thumbsup2

I was there in October an everything was ok. The room was clean and in good shape. we loved the resort so muchthat wwe are going back in May. The landscaping in awesome

Oh my goodness, rjvose17! I'm so sorry to hear this. We'll be going in May for our 7th trip to the World and you always hate to hear stories like this. My goal is to stay in all of Disney's resorts in time and I was thinking about booking CBR, but I love POR so much from the past that I thought it would be nice to go back. I hope the rest of your trip is going well.

I stayed at POR for 9 nights end of September through first week in October.
Absolutely fell in love with POR.

Food Court is the best I have seen at since I have been staying on property.
Boatwright's was very good and accomodating since I was there solo. They treated me extra special.

Room was always clean and mousekeeping kept me in lots of towels, soaps, etc.

I forgot a small bagallini purse and left it in the wall safe, when I got home it took a few phone calls, but they had the Hotel Manager call me when he had it, they overnighted it to me! I admit I was extremely upset having to keep calling there, but they were over the top in being understanding and trying to help me. Cause for concern was that there were some important items in that purse, my nursing license for one and all the pictures of my grandchildren. I have them back thanks to all the CM's that helped me there.

Cindy

I was just there two weeks ago.

I had a fabulous room in Parterre Place (Bldg 95) right on the river and was just steps from the bridge over to the main building. It was very quiet.

My room was spotless and my mousekeeper and I had a grand time "outdoing" each other every day with towel animals.

I love the staff; especially a big shout-out to Chris, the new greeter. He made a wonderful suggestion for dinner - Sanaa at Kidani Village and it turned out to be one of my most favorite meals by far.

The staff in the lounge were fabulous, I was there every night and they always had a glass of wine waiting for me. I met some fabulous new people, especially one really nice couple - who I exchanged e-mails with and we have been keeping in touch ever since.

I took real advantage of the meal options "downriver" and in addition to breakfast at WPE, I went to Olivia's twice for breakfast and the Turf Club once for lunch. Wow, what can I say - both hidden treasures at the resorts.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend POR - "my home resort" since 2004.

We stayed there back in August. We fell in love. We were unsure of the decision to stay at a moderate because we love the values. We can't fit in the values anymore so we had to move up.

It was the best decision we made! My boys love this resort. It is so relaxing walking through the paths.

Here is a link to a thread about the resort. I added ton of pictures.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2366091

We were there in mid-November. I read the same "scary" reviews as you and I was a bit nervous about our stay. It ended up being fine. I will say the rugs are kind of worn and stained in spots (we were in two different rooms and it was the case in both rooms). Other than that the mousekeeping was fine. They made towel animals every day and took good care of my sons teddy bear by placing him in different spots every day :)
I liked POR much better than the values I have stayed in (ASM and POP) however I think if we ever go to Disney again we will be staying at the Poly.

Just came back Dec. 3rd to 9th from POR - we went down with our Cheerleading team (our first) and didn't know what to expect, were pleasantly surprised at the quiet and considerate behavior of other Pop Warner guests after reading some horror stories on the boards.

Our only other resort experience was Wilderness Lodge in '08. We stayed at Building #37, were slightly disappointed with the cleanliness of the room, hated the full beds, the room hasn't been updated and furniture is looking rough, old CRT TV as well (if that matters to you).

We loved the food court, the design your own salad station was awesome and closed down the piano bar one night because the entertainment was that good.

We had a car, so no comments about the buses, loved the location - really close to Downtown Disney. EPCOT is our favorite park, so we were nice and close too.

Having said that, we didn't realize that the rooms all had exterior doors and liked the hotel "feel" of WL, AKL is basically the same hotel with different theming I think.

Given the choice, I'd rather stay at AKL or even try CBR's updated rooms.

Having said that, we didn't realize that the rooms all had exterior doors and liked the hotel "feel" of WL, AKL is basically the same hotel with different theming I think.

Given the choice, I'd rather stay at AKL or even try CBR's updated rooms.

While AKL and WL are similar in set-up, it is because they are deluxe.

CBR is a moderate resort, so it is similar to POR in that the doors are directly to the outside.

POR will be undergoing a refurb next spring, as soon as the POFQ refurb is completed. The rooms are getting a total refurb, including now having queen sized beds (of the mods, CBR will be the only one left with doubles with the exception of the cabins), and the TV will be a flat screen TV.

There are enhancements as well in the sink area - there is a storage unit underneath, in lieu of the two pedestal sinks.

We were at POR the last week of September and loved it so much! Our room at Oak Manor was on the third floor but we were right by the quiet pool and only maybe five minutes from the main building and bus stop. The room itself was obviously in need of sprucing up, but was clean and neat. The only thing that was nasty was the lovebugs, nothing Disney can do about that!

I love POR, am staying there again next month actually. We loved it when we stayed there the first time. The property is beautiful, the pool is nice (your basic mod pool with a water slide, jacuzzi and kids wading pool). The food court is the the best one of any of the resorts I have stayed at. I stayed in the mansions last time, and am staying in AB this coming trip (we'll have 5 people). It really is a nice place. I can say that I am surprised that you had heard any scary stories about it - it's actually a nice place that you really don't hear many complaints about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter