• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone been to Auberge recently?

piglet05

Earning My Ears
I can only find old reviews. I can't decide what to do re this. Both my children (4 and 6) and my husband are very fussy eaters and i doubt they would enjoy the food. So now that we can meet the princesses during the day at the meet and great is this worth the money?

thank you

to be fair, you've nearly always been able to meet the Princesses at a queued meet n greet spot in the main park, certainly for the last 4 years or so. The only difference now is that its an inside venue.

I think the draw of the Auberge Princess meal has mostly been the number of Princesses you meet there in your hour or 2 there, compared with the one or possibly 2 you could meet in the same time at a queued meet n greet in the park. From reading reviews of the Auberge, I believe its normal to meet 2 or 3 Princesses, a Prince, and Suzy and Perla there while having lunch.

I too would be interested to know if anyone has been recently and what they thought. Or anyone going soon who can report back please :thumbsup2

I think the issue will be twofold, those that have been before a while back (like myself) will probably be a bit more disappointed at the way it runs now and b) those that have never been will probably love it as they know no different :confused3....

So, for me, ideally, it would be nice to hear from someone who has been before a while back but going again shortly.

I don't think the changes will make much difference to my DDs (certainly not DD2 as she won't remember) but I think DD1 will think it odd she doesn't get little things like crayons/colouring, a toy at the end and the meet n greet at the door with Cinderella like previous. My other concern is the menu - the starters in particular for the adults look yuck! And I'm not that fussy an eater - honest! ;)

Knowing my luck I'd pay to go and see the same Princesses we've seen on the previous trips which I guess would be OK, but would satisfy DD2 more than DD1 who likes the newer Princesses these days :lmao:

Jeffs76 has just been for their DD birthday we are going in March I hope to do a full dining report as the dining thread seems to be lacking at the moment!

Here is a link to the TR

Mum to Belle has been before and after the changes

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2856212&page=2

and Vala as well if I remember right

- Perso - I'd rather do a meet and greet in the Princess Pavillon and around the park than go and eat food that I didn't care for but this place is all about the little "Princesses" so if they want to go (and even if they wouldn't eat a thing) and I could afford it I'd go :goodvibes

Yes, Carrie_Cat is right.

I've been in March, July and October, so I think I caught most changes.

The main issue I notice and that I think a kid will notice is that the Cinderella photo at the entrance is gone and she's in the dining room now. This shouldn't be a major issue though, right? If a kid wonders about it I guess I'd say Cindy wanted to be closer to her friends. ;)

We don't have kids, so I don't know about the crayon thing. In October I definitely did see some kids with some kind of cards on the table and crayons. It did look to me like they are still been given something. It were several tables all over the restaurant, I doubt all those families brought the same stuff.

Regarding the menu... they will change stuff for you if you really can't stand one of the appetizers. I have a seafood allergy and they always bring me mozzarella and tomatoes instead of these parts. They will switch out against other parts of the meal too - e.g. a second helping of salmon if you don't like the duck part. The Foie Gras is gone, and that seemed to be the one content most people seemed to have issues with from what I remember.

Auberge is one of the two only "nicer" meals that my boyfriend tolerates at Paris (the other ones being Inventions), that's about as far as my personal quality insurance will get. ;)

The food isn't outstanding, but it is of decent quality for a character meal.

Even with the small changes the athmosphere is still the same. I heard the dancing was cut, but in October they still danced, the only exception being when Mickey was there as prince, and that wouldn't have worked out.

Also the amount of characters there definitely makes it worth spending the money for us. We saw Cinderella, two "solo" princesses and one princess with her prince. Plus Suzy and Perla. And one needs to eat anyway. So generally it did sound more tempting than spending at least 30 minutes in line at Princess Pavillion and seeing only one princess.

Thanks all :).

Vala - I read on the restaurant reviews here that children no longer get crayons/colouring bits :confused3. Also, there is the wine - not that I drink much, but a nice glass of wine with the meal, included wasn't much to ask at that price! :confused3

I think we probably will book it (not getting half board vouchers, but will use AP discount). Like I say, my DD2 will love it and you are right, the theming itself is beautiful - so serene but also does justice to the film in a subtle/more grown up way. I just wish they would introduce more Princesses or rotate them more. Even looking at recent-ish reviews it's Belle, Snow White & Prince and Cinderella/PC mostly which doesn't seem to have changed. Having said that, it is a traditional type of restaurant so maybe they are trying to stay with the 'traditional' Princesses.

I think first time we went we saw Cinderella, Snow White & Prince, Ariel & Eric, Suzy & Perla. Second time it was Cinderella, Snow White & Prince, Belle, Suzy & Perla.

Actually, the exclusion of the Cinders photo point/greet at the beginning might be an improvement as DD1 was frustrated that she didn't come around the tables and talk to people! :goodvibes

I'm sold..... I think :laughing:

This thread is making me very excited about going to Auberge next weekend! I think despite the fact that I now know we will be missing out on little bits, the thought of meeting the Princesses in that environment is more than worth it! Can't wait to see DD's face!:lovestruc

Aww you will love it and so will your DD :lovestruc. I'm being picky really as I think when you go somewhere (twice) and think it is perfect (or almost) and then they change it or remove bits and ask for more money, it kind of makes me wonder :rolleyes1.

I am SURE both my DDs will still have the time of their lives there..... and I can take my own crayons if need be:rotfl2:

I wasnt sure about going here but booked and the more I read the more and more I get excited for it!

Weve been here 4 times, most recent visit was December 2011.

Whilst we still enjoy it despite the changes its not as good value for money as it once was.

The photo pack disappearance is a great disappointment as this was one of the main highlights. We usually see the Mice, at least one prince, Belle, Cinderella, Ariel and sometimes Snow White and Tiana. They do give the children loads of attention and I think it beats the meet and greet as DD got very bored and I didn't like it much standing in a line for over an hour to meet one princess.

The new starters aren't very nice I used to love the old ones, same goes for some of the deserts but the mains especially the lamb is delicious!

The children still get a menu which has colouring in on the back but no longer get crayons or a free toy.

We also didn't get any wine or our bottle of water either last time. Despite all these cuts the price went up.

I still would recommend it though for any princess fans. Its all a much calmer experience than the other character meals we had.

I was there on Saturday. Hubby and are both NOT fussy eaters - he is just a garbage pail but I work in Menu development so I THINK I know what I am talking about. My DD is a fussy eater but Hubby and I made the mistake of reading the menu to her rather than just choosing for her - she heard the word risotto ( her favourite dish) but ignored the asparagus and salmon bit that came with it. But I will start from the beginning.

The place itself look amazing and the satff were incredibly welcoming. DD got upset that Suzy mouse saw here before she got her pretty shoes and jacket on so SUzzy played peekaboo till she was ready.

The menu for kids was as follows:

The Fairies delicacies (Salmon pate with diced red onion - yuck in my view TBH! Melon sorbet/juice thing - yummybut to OTT for DD, and mozzarella and cherry tomatoes) ( you can see the pudding in the bottom right corner of this photo)
DSC01579.jpg

Grilled Burger with Mash and Gravy - what we should have gone for

Roast fillet of Salom with Asparagus risotto - really rather yummy

Pumpkin and Ricotta ravioli

Cinderella's slipper - mango sorbet, chocolate mousse cake, passionfruit mousse, chocolate slipper.

The Adult meal was:

Amuse Bouche - Gougere - little savoury choux bun with cheese - mmmmm

Smoked salmon with cavier, smoked duck slices with walnut and chutney,
and something else which totally escapes me.

Scallops

Lamb - Hubby had this and it was divine

Veal - I had this - very very nice but the Lamb was better

Pudding - Creme brulee, fruit mouse in a chocolate basket and then we had a slice of DD's birthday cake

DSC01612.jpg

As a gourmand, this meal was fabulous, as a mother the meal was all about the Magic and the princesses. For lunchtime on a Saturday it was fairly empty but the service was outstanding and it meant LOADS of interaction with the Princesses. This interaction also hindered my attempts as getting Isabelle to eat anything but bread (ironically supplied by one of my artisan suppliers at work so have ordered some for my freezer as it was really very good).

The characters we saw were - Cinderella and Prince Charming, Snow White, Belle, Suzy and Perla.

WE were seated by the dancefloor too so got a fabulous experience of that too.

I am gald we did it for DD's birthday - having the birthday cake brought out to her by ALL the character and the cast members, but I very much doubt we will be going back for many years!

I hope this helps

Kate

Jeffs76 - did you have to ask to be seated by the dancefloor? We really want to be seated here and were told to get there early and ask! We weren't going to get her birthday cake here (opted for Cafe Mickey on the Saturday) but your post may have swayed me! Wondering if DD would be more excited by Auberge on the Saturday for lunch... as she is really princess mad, and do Cafe Mickey on Sunday. What time did you get there for?

Can I also ask - how busy were the parks? We are going on Sat and Sun next week and I am dreading how busy they are going to be!

Thank you!

Jeffs76 - did you have to ask to be seated by the dancefloor? We really want to be seated here and were told to get there early and ask! We weren't going to get her birthday cake here (opted for Cafe Mickey on the Saturday) but your post may have swayed me! Wondering if DD would be more excited by Auberge on the Saturday for lunch... as she is really princess mad, and do Cafe Mickey on Sunday. What time did you get there for?

Can I also ask - how busy were the parks? We are going on Sat and Sun next week and I am dreading how busy they are going to be!

Thank you!

Hi RoseBug, we were just lucky I guess - our booking was for 12.30 but we were there at about 12.10. Birthday cake her was a real treat - and they boxed up the remainder for us to take home (we ate it on the eurostar on our return journey)

The park was busy-ish on Saturday - longest queue we had was 75 mins for POTC at 4pm but in general 30 mins was the longest and we got away with 10-15 minute queues. On Sunday it was deserted and we hardly queued for anything. BUT WEAR TIGHTS - DD had tights and socks under her jeans and was toasty and I wish I worn tights too!!! It was perishing cold - those gel hand warmers you can get were my life saver - we took 5 and all got used. Plus Tesco is selling off some Disney fleece blankets for a fiver - much cheaper then the ones in DLP!

I would not chose the burger my DD had it and she wouldn't eat it and I tried it, it was disgusting. It was really dry, burnt on outside pink in centre. Mash is a tiny amount and is really creamy and it has a tiny bit of gravy,

Hi RoseBug, we were just lucky I guess - our booking was for 12.30 but we were there at about 12.10. Birthday cake her was a real treat - and they boxed up the remainder for us to take home (we ate it on the eurostar on our return journey)

The park was busy-ish on Saturday - longest queue we had was 75 mins for POTC at 4pm but in general 30 mins was the longest and we got away with 10-15 minute queues. On Sunday it was deserted and we hardly queued for anything. BUT WEAR TIGHTS - DD had tights and socks under her jeans and was toasty and I wish I worn tights too!!! It was perishing cold - those gel hand warmers you can get were my life saver - we took 5 and all got used. Plus Tesco is selling off some Disney fleece blankets for a fiver - much cheaper then the ones in DLP!

Our booking is for opening at 12pm, so hopefully we will be fine and get to sit next to the dancefloor. Do they dance still? I think we should change this to the Saturday and get her cake here instead!
I hope it isn't too bad next weekend, and not too cold - but have thermals and will be buying DD a snow suit!
Thank you!

I would not chose the burger my DD had it and she wouldn't eat it and I tried it, it was disgusting. It was really dry, burnt on outside pink in centre. Mash is a tiny amount and is really creamy and it has a tiny bit of gravy,

there's a picture of it in Mum to Belles tr (that I put in post 6) and it doesn't look great :sad2:

Vala - I read on the restaurant reviews here that children no longer get crayons/colouring bits :confused3. Also, there is the wine - not that I drink much, but a nice glass of wine with the meal, included wasn't much to ask at that price! :confused3

I read about that too and was thoroughly confused seeing that stuff on the table. One girl even ran after Cinderella when she was at my table to show her whatever she had scribbled/drawn on that card thing during my solo lunch in October. I knew I should have asked Cindy to show it to me. :laughing:

Sorry, totally forgot about the wine. I can't drink alcohol due to some medication I am taking, so I don't notice when something alcoholic disappears from a menu.

We also didn't get any wine or our bottle of water either last time. Despite all these cuts the price went up.

Okay, the water bottle is a new cut then. I got one in October no problem without extra charge.

I noticed another more recent cut on jeffs76's pictures... didn't you usually get three types of dessert?

Hi all,
DD and I ate here on November 8th. The food was ok. The staff were lovely and the princesses were fantastic. Cinderella was a real sweetheart and she spent ages with DD looking for Gus Gus!

We had the set starters (DD ate the ummm breadroll...) IMO tuna/fish mousse is a bit full on for little ones and they should really have a more middle of the road option. She didnt like the melon cocktail either (Mammy did :yes: ) and doesnt eat cheese most of the time either. But the rolls were very fresh and tasty and I was happy that she would eat them instead.

I wasnt keen on my starter either but tried everything (and have now crossed smoked salmon and duck off the list of things I dont like and actually have tasted as opposed to just not liking the look of!) It was duck breast with asparagus and petit pois, smoked salmon with cheese/chive and I cant remember the 3rd thing either. The amuse bouche was fab though. My main was beautiful and dessert fantastic.
DD had the burger for main and wouldnt eat the purple mash (yet again I stepped in for quality control - and whatever this stuff is its gorgeous!) She ate every bit of her dessert (bar the chocolate lolly which she shared with DS after we met back up with the boys who were too cool for princesses!).

I had the veal which was gorgeous and similar to the chicken in Walts. In honesty I'd save my money and go to Walts instead as personally I much prefered Walts but its all about the little ones at Auberge, the atmosphere and princess encounters make it a most do for little princesses. And yes while the price was high and the food restrictive it was a great treat which DD loved and was captivated by so I cant regret going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter