• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anybody used Priceline???

Franco56

A PROUD VIETNAM VETERAN AND LOVER OF THE MOUSE!
Right now thier prices seem to be almost half of what the Major rental car
sites are offering. I was just playing with the numbers and for sure they are
way below the other sites. Now I don't need them until Dec 05, but what are
your opinions of Priceline? Thank you kindly! :crazy: :earsgirl: :smooth: :bounce:

Just me, But priceline has too many rules, and pitfalls for me. makes me nervous. :confused3 I know you can get some really good deals, and if your a risk taker, and can live with that > go for it, if your comfortable. But for us, non-risk takers (your basic chickens) :earseek: I can't commit to priceline.

mky princess:

I'm not understanding how you know how much the price will be? On priceline you have to actually go thru the bid process in order to find out if a car company will accept your bid. I've used them numerous times on hotels and car rental. I've only been disappointed one time, and It was with a La Quinta Inn hotel.
I'd suggest Priceline to anybody!

This is what I have done, I name my own price and the first few times it says
your dreaming thats to low, so I keep going until I get the whole deal written
out. Then I am suppose to lock in my request. So, are you saying that they
will and can deny my own price? What happens then? I put in new info?
Thank you kindly for any help! :earsgirl: :smooth: :bounce:

This is what I have done, I name my own price and the first few times it says
your dreaming thats to low, so I keep going until I get the whole deal written
out. Then I am suppose to lock in my request. So, are you saying that they
will and can deny my own price? What happens then? I put in new info?
Thank you kindly for any help! : :crazy: :earsgirl: :smooth: :bounce:

I've been curious about priceline, but I want to insure that the company that accepts my bid has an in-terminal counter. Is there anywhere to specify this on the bid?

I just used Priceline to secure a rental car. (Week of July 13-19) It is true you cannot know what you will get until your bid s accepted, but I think they give you a list of car companies that will be solicited.

I was going to use ME, but I knew I would want/need a car for a couple of days add to that we will be staying at the POFQ so I really wanted the option of having a car in case the bus system did not work out for us. The cost for renting a car for a couple of days was going to be about 80 or so dollars.

When I tried most car rental sites directly it was about 240 for the week. When I tried Priceline a couple of weeks ago they said that I was dreaming, but I tried anyway. My price was turned down. I tried again and it was still turned down...

I tried again a couple of days ago. I made an offer and it was accepted! The price was about 50% off the rates offered on the various websites. It is for one of the majoprs that is located inside the terminal.

I say all of this to tell y'all that I have used Priceline in the past and have had no problems. I do nto agree that hey have too many rules. The rules are the same as renting directly...the difference is you do not know which company you will get, but that is ok because they will place you with a top notch company...and even if you do get placed with a company offsite, the savings will justify the inconvienence and all of them have shuttles...I remember that Alamo was that way years ago.

Last thing...even if you price is turned down...do not give up, try again...catch they system when it is sleeping...or when the computer is tired...that is when you can strike! It will not know what hit it and you will get that H2 for $100 and week!

Seriously...keep trying...know what you want...name your price...and be ready to live with the result...it has worked for me on several ocassions

This is inkkognito on hubby's PC:

Sometimes you can (and SHOULD) ignore the "You're dreaming...too low" warning. If you have done your research, you will know how much to bid. I have gotten my deal about half the time that I've seen that warning and ignored it. The other half, I rebid later under another email/charge card. You cannot insure that the company will be onsite, but the only offsite company they use is Hertz. Take it from a person who HATES shuttles...theirs is painless. The bus will be right there waiting for you, and the rental place is right near the North Entrance of the airport. We've had wonderful luck with Priceline...we're gotten Alamo most frequently, then Hertz and Avis, then National and Budget. Alamo tends to have long lines, but other than that, all of them are fine. We've even gotten free upgrades, and they seem to put less pressure on about the insurance when you are prepaid.
Barb

I've always had good luck with cars on Priceline -- to me, a car is a car is a car regardless of company, although I like Budget in Orlando b/c spouses drive for free and DH doesn't do the outlet malls. Nat'l and some of the other companies charge for the additional driver.

atigeg said:
This is inkkognito on hubby's PC:

Sometimes you can (and SHOULD) ignore the "You're dreaming...too low" warning. If you have done your research, you will know how much to bid. I have gotten my deal about half the time that I've seen that warning and ignored it. The other half, I rebid later under another email/charge card. You cannot insure that the company will be onsite, but the only offsite company they use is Hertz. Take it from a person who HATES shuttles...theirs is painless. The bus will be right there waiting for you, and the rental place is right near the North Entrance of the airport. We've had wonderful luck with Priceline...we're gotten Alamo most frequently, then Hertz and Avis, then National and Budget. Alamo tends to have long lines, but other than that, all of them are fine. We've even gotten free upgrades, and they seem to put less pressure on about the insurance when you are prepaid.
Barb

I second this... IGNORE the "your dreaming" thing. YOu will overbid. I always tell them to process my bid. I bid priceline to get a BARGIN. If it's just a few dollars cheaper then I go with the regular company.

Plus make VERY sure you know what the best rate is on everyone else. You would hate to bid and then find out you overpaid!

I just got off expedia to get some quotes, there were two, Budget Premium car
for Dec 23-Jan3---$1062.08.... hERTZ $1468.00 yIKES!!! So, I go back to
priceline and go all the way up in the process where they give you the facts.
Thier price $575.11. Now, is it at this point I say that this is what I will take
and put in my bid? Then what, I wait and see for a response? Thank you
kindly for any help :crazy: :earsgirl: :smooth: :bounce:

NO! You need to ignore what they are telling you. You decide what you want to bid and put that in. Then when they tell you that's too low they will have.

I did a dummy entry to show you

$15 per day would be a great price to get for your Standard Car but it's so far below currently available retail rates that none of our partners are likely to accept it.

Please remember that you can expect to save up to 25% when you Name Your Own Price. Please enter a new price below.

Name Your Own Pricesm:
Per Day
$ .00

Total charges, including taxes and fees, are displayed on the following page.

IGNORE THIS PAGE!!! Hit the skip this page at the bottom of the page. The next page will give you what your bid will be. If you like the total enter! However, once someone accepts your bid you are renting the car so you must be sure what you want. No refunds.

Personally I think you are bidding way too early for Decembe. SPecials are not even out yet so it's hardd to see what the price will really be and $575 is pretty high.

© 1998

Franco56 said:
I just got off expedia to get some quotes, there were two, Budget Premium car
for Dec 23-Jan3---$1062.08.... hERTZ $1468.00 yIKES!!! So, I go back to
priceline and go all the way up in the process where they give you the facts.
Thier price $575.11. Now, is it at this point I say that this is what I will take
and put in my bid? Then what, I wait and see for a response? Thank you
kindly for any help :crazy: :earsgirl: :smooth: :bounce:

If you are ONLY using EXPEDIA for your quotes you are NOT getting a good picture. You need to spend some time over on www.mousesavers.com. Read ALL the info she has on rental cars and discounts.

Plus do you really need a premium??

I agree with the other posters on a couple of counts. One, it is waaaay too early to bid...take your time, and two $500+ for a premium>? You have got to be kidding me (assuming you are looking for a one week rental)

Lastly, I agree with the other posters...get a sampling of quotes for the various car companies and then decide what you want to pay.

Ingonre that page about the quote being way too low...

One final thing. Even if your price is rejected today it may be accepted tomorrow...

Yes, I have done all that stuff. All the car rentals own sites, expedia, orbitz
and mousesavers. I just have not dealt with Priceline and as of now I am find-
ing it confusing. But you think I am way to early huh? I thank you kindly for
all of your help! :crazy: :earsgirl: :smooth: :bounce:

I think, based on Priceline T.V. commercials, that they now have 2 ways to buy on priceline. First you get the best price they have for what you want and when you want it. You then have the option of taking that price or trying to bid for a lower price.
As others have said, I would not commit to a car rental for December so early. Wait at least until September to see what holiday specials might show up.

I used Priceline a few years back for a car, got a great deal but then my Mom had a heartattack the day before we were to leave, we had to cancel. After a note from my Mom's doc we got all but the booking fee $5 at the time back. Very happy with outcome needless to say.

My brother uses them all the time and he told me to try for my upcoming trip in Nov/Dec. I booked with Budget with code from Mousesavers for a premium car for 7 days at $244.11 + taxes/fees for a total of 306.67. It was the best deal I found after checking many alternatives. I was not asked to guarantee with cc. I plan on trying to take a shot with Priceline again, but not for a couple of months. My brother also suggests to keep trying if you get a rejection.

Good Luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter