Has anybody purchased a "compressed" mattress ?

Shanna-like-Banana

DIS Veteran
I'm curious about real opinions about those "compressed" memory mattresses.

Specifically if anybody has purchased one through Groupon or Living Social ?

I'd like to purchase a new twin mattress for our middle child and was thinking about this as an option.

By compressed, I mean the ones that come in the vacuum suctioned plastic that you slice open and it expands to it's fullest size.

Pros: memory foam, easier to carry upstairs vs a regular mattress, test out a new mattress that may lead to new beds for other family members

Cons: toxic smells from mattress, being lumpy, too hard/soft, not able to "test" it out before purchase, not able to return/difficult to return.

We have one. King sized either from Amazon or Wayfair. Looks like a punching bag when it's delivered. We love it ! The most difficult part is you have to let it expand, maybe it was 2 days or so? (clearly, my memory isn't fantastic today) The smell went away quickly after expansion. Sleeps a bit warmer, but we (husband, and 2 dogs) really enjoy it.

I purchased a Tuft and Needle compressed mattress last November and I love it. It's my first memory foam so I was a little nervous because I'd heard they tend to retain the heat and could be too warm but I've been comfortable this summer. It was easy to order and very easy to set up. T&N mattresses come with a 100 night guarantee so I didn't feel like I had anything to lose. DS ended up getting one for himself.

There was a pretty strong smell the first few nights but that gradually diminished. The smell might have gone away faster if I had aired it out a bit before putting sheets and blankets on it but I was anxious to give it a try. It's been extremely comfortable and just the right amount of firmness for me. It's so nice not to wake up with a backache.

I didn't use living social or groupon though. My Amex card had an offer of $100 statement credit for making a $500+ purchase with Tuft and Needle.

Last edited:
We bought DCs Keetsa mattresses. They arrive compressed and it was fun watching them expand. Non-toxic so no off gassing, which was important to us. I tried it in the showroom before spending a pretty penny. Very happy with the purchase and bought for all DCs as they outgrew the crib.

We got 4" foam mattress toppers from Amazon that came compressed. They smelled horrible for weeks, and compressed over time...

I have a friend who lost everything in flooding here this spring. These are the kinds of mattresses she bought for her family to replace old ones & they love them. I fact when I was telling her we were buying new mattresses for our master bedroom she recommended them.

We had a family friend move here for grad school from India. He needed everything for an apartment and the best deal on a mattress was a compressed one from Amazon because we didn't have to pay delivery. It arrived all wrapped up, we watched the youtube video about how to unpack it. It was fast and easy and it completely "decompressed" without any issue. I laid on it and it seemed pretty decent for the money.

My kids both have them. They love them. Just open them up and let it air out. No issues.
We did add a foam topper for extra squishy-ness!

Once when we came home from a weeks vacation, the house was really cold and their beds were frozen. Hard as rock! The softened again once it got warm enough.

We got some from Costco. We decided to get one for our bed and liked it so much that we've gotten them for 2 of our kids. We put them on the balcony for a couple days while they expanded and smelled funny. We've had ours for almost 2 years and it's really comfortable.

If you end up getting a Tuft & Needle I'd suggest getting it directly from them. They offer a 100 night trial as opposed to 30 nights through Amazon. They also offer free shipping.

I got a king foam mattress from Amazon. It is a bit on the firm side but I never wake up sore or uncomfortable so I would buy another if I needed to replace it.

I'm curious about real opinions about those "compressed" memory mattresses.

Specifically if anybody has purchased one through Groupon or Living Social ?

I'd like to purchase a new twin mattress for our middle child and was thinking about this as an option.

By compressed, I mean the ones that come in the vacuum suctioned plastic that you slice open and it expands to it's fullest size.

Pros: memory foam, easier to carry upstairs vs a regular mattress, test out a new mattress that may lead to new beds for other family members

Cons: toxic smells from mattress, being lumpy, too hard/soft, not able to "test" it out before purchase, not able to return/difficult to return.

We purchased two from Amazon; one was for DS's platform bed, the other for DD#2's bed now that she's back home until January. (She picked and paid for hers, we purchased DS's)

DD's mattress is more firm than DS's.
No weird smells from either of them.
Opening them was fun. Let them sit for 48 hours before sleeping on, so they fully "fluff".
We do prefer his, it's softer and better support.

DD's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZNVFC2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DS's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1RJ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We purchased two Brentwood mattresses from Amazon with Prime shipping. One is the 13" gel foam and the other is an 11" latex foam. Neither had any noxious odor, and they're both more comfortable than the $5,000 Sterns & Foster that we returned before buying them.

We bought a Purple and love it. No terrible odor, could lay/sleep on it immediately and it's super comfy. No pressure points and from what they say sleeps "cooler" than memory foam. It's foam (not memory) topped with a hyperelastic polymer layer.
http://onpurple.com

Yes I have one and love it. Its the only mattress I can sleep on without pain.

I recently bought two 12" memory foam green tea extract mattresses from Amazon. One for me, one for my adult daughter. I love mine and the only complaint she has is that hers slides on the frame she picked. For the price I ended up ordering one for my older grandmunchkin who is sleeping well on it. This mattress was a bargain. It expanded within 5 minutes, very little if any odor. I slept on it the same night. These are heavy and take some effort to get upstairs, but worth it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7EPLM0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We bought a Casper and love it! Very cool watching it "come alive" when you unwrap it. Perhaps a very, very slight odor when we first unwrapped it that morning, but I didn't notice anything when I put our sheets on it and slept on it that evening. Very comfortable mattress and we've been very happy with it! Casper offers a 100 day return policy. I have no idea how you would ship it back, but I'm sure they've thought of that. We've been sleeping on it for 8 months now and love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter