• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anybody driven to the Kennedy Space Center?

crackerjack

Earning My Ears
Is the Kennedy Space Center worth the drive over there? How long does the drive take from the boat? Is it worth the drive/price of admission? Thanks for any information you can share! :)

After our 4 day magic cruise in June 2000 we went to the Space Center. It is only about 5 or 10 minutes from the port. We all really enjoyed it. Have a good trip.

We drove by there on a whim after our 7-day cruise in January. About 10 minutes off the main road from the port. I don't know if it was a typical Saturday or what but it was packed! I think there were several Boy Scout troops there, too. We didn't stay for two reasons - the crowds and the COST! It was like $25 per adult and $15 per kid. After the hefty price tag of the cruise we couldn't do over $100 just to get in. Check their website for prices, hours and possible discounts. We are going to go down a day early next time specifically to do the Space Center.

We spent the day at Kennedy Space Center and really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly suprised as I went along because my Husband really wanted to go. We took a bus tour and spent a few hours exploring.

Is Kennedy space center open? Just wondering I do know that some of the other space centers around the US are closed because of Sept 11

We just toured the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL last summer. Has anybody done both? Is the Kennedy Center much different? I would hate to spend that much money to see things I had already seen.

In my opinion KSC is a 'must do' and we hope to take the grands after our Dec cruise. I'm not a space buff but find it very educational and exciting :D

We went to KSC after our 7 day Magic cruise last May. We stayed at the Port Radisson after the cruise and went to KSC on Sunday when it opened, booking a late flight home from Orlando. We saw most of the things to see at KSC including the IMAX shows and exhibits. We enjoyed the Astronaut Encounter where my DS (7) got to meet Capt. John McBride (featured in one of the IMAX films) up close and personal. We went to do the bus tour but did not know that it was going to take considerable time (3-4 hours) to tour the hundreds of acres the sight covers. Unfortunately we couldn't take the bus tour due to the tour's length. It is one of the more valuable (in imformation) aspects of the visit and something we missed out on. So, allow plenty of time when you visit. It was enjoyable for our family and we would recommend it. Enjoy!

Howard
:wave: :earsboy:

I agree with KeenHo. We drove over to KSC on a Saturday and spent the whole day there. The key is to get there right when they open and be on one of the first buses for the tour. There are several stops along the way where you can get off and see all kinds of neat things. There's always another bus in a short time to continue your trip. We got to see one of the shuttles on the pad because they had to delay a Thursday launch to Friday, and again to Monday. The orbiter itself was encased in a big box to protect it from the salt in the air for the weekend, but you could see the solid rocket boosters and the liquid O2 tank. I also thought the astronaut encounter was very informative. We found the whole day was necessary to see everything.

Also, I've been to Marshall in Huntsville in 1986, and KSC is far superior.

BTW, when we went on the 12-8-01 Magic, you can see the huge, main building at KSC from Deck 10 while in port. I imagine that the Magic would be an awesome place to watch a launch from.

:)

Thanks to everybody for your responses! We'll definately plan on going! Now I worry that we won't have ENOUGH time! ;)

We try to get to KSC every time we come to Florida from Canada. Were not space buffs per se just avid adventures. If at any time you can get to see a liftoff in person do so, it is just awsome.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Night lauches are the best. We are on the 7day Magic April 27 and there is a launch scheduled for May 2, maybe we can see it from sea. We are travelling with friends who will not be taking the cruise and they plan to tour KSC and view the launch. Have fun :wave: :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter