Has any ever insured a trip? Some questions.

iankh

It's never done till it's overdone
We've got a big 2 week trip planned for December 2006. It will start with a 4 night DCL cruise and then 7 nights at a DVC resort.

I posted on the cruise board and lots of people seem to think that travel insurance for a cruise is a good idea, and people who have actually had to make claims and received reimbursement.

I've been looking at insurance quotes. How have any of you, if you have done it, figured in the DVC part of a trip? I mean the cost of the flight is straight forward enough, as is the cost of the cruise, but how does one calculate a the land portion of a DVC vacation.

Forgetting the cruise bit altogether, how have those of you who have purchased trip insurance, not through DVC, figured the costs?

The insurance through DVC offers $5.00 per point for your cancelled vacation. I always figured I could sell the reservation or just cancel before the check-in day and deal with the holding points. $5.00 per point is really not a great deal on insurance!

On the cruise board people seem to think very highly of insuring the cruise and many have had claims. So, I'm wondering if I should just think about insuring the cruise portion?

The land portion will be after the cruise, so unless the ship sinks I don't have much doubt about being able to get to WDW. I suppose if anything did crop up and I had to cancel, I would then have the holding points, and given I have an August UY, plenty of time to use them or rent them out.

Is my thinking off?

We have always gotten cruise insurance for our cruises, and we've had a claim, $10,000. Because we used points for the MC last year, we did use the insurance that came from DVC. Of all the types of insurance, this one seems the least beneficial, but it was better than nothing and thank heavens we didn't need it.

We missed our flight home because of Ophelia, but Continental didn't charge us anything to rebook the next day. We booked a night at Pop and enjoyed the extra vacation day.

Bobbi :sunny:

We have always booked the DCL with insurance option. It is well worth the peace of mind. I have never purchased it for a DVC stay. But if we were using our DVC points for an out of the country stay--I would probably use the insurance. They say that your medical doesn't work out of the country.....I don't know that for sure.
Paula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter