Has a CM ever been rude/nasty to you?

I can't say that we've had any who were out right rude to us, just some who are not as happy as others. I've worked in customer service, I know that it's not always easy.

When DS was little he lost his shoe as he was getting on the boat on POTC. It went in the water never to be seen again. When I told the CM what had happened he laughed hysterically. I guess you could say that was rude, but having teen sons I can see them doing the same thing.

I do remember once at CM's there were two waiters who were being very,very snippy to one another. I believe it had something to do with one getting to have more of the larger party tables.

I've only had one interaction that really stands out to me as negative. We had just arrived at the Poly after a 12 hour day of traveling. Dropped our stuff in our room and went to find food at capt cook's (QS). It was late, around 9PM, but we'd seen in the elevator that it was open 24 hrs so we were hopeful we'd find foo. When we arrived, I ASKED the manager if we could order fries. our fries needed to be gluten-free, special frier, due to allergies.

Anyhow - I asked if we could get fries and chicken fingers, she said yes. rolled her eyes at me, then hollered in to the back that they needed to turn the frier back on b/c some guest wanted them to make special food. The person called back to her, she looked at me and rolled her eyes and responded that the guest insisted.

I was really upset and said, if it's trouble, it's okay we don't need any, I explained we'd seen the sign saying that it was open 24 hrs. She said it only meant the building, but hot food was done at 11. I pointed out that it was still 2 hours away - she then told em that they turn all the friers off 2 hours before they're done serving b/c it takes a long time to cool down.

I told her we didn't need any thing and I'd go find something somewhere else. she proceeded to get even more belligerent with me - I felt 2 in tall and was crying by this point. And then I had to stand there waiting for my food, and listening to her go on about the rude guests to the other CMs that were there.

I couldn't tell you if the fries or chicken fingers were any good, it was all I could do to choke them down. But we learned our lesson - if a sign says food is done being served at 11, make sure we're there no later than 8 - or expect to be abused if you want to eat.

I've only had one interaction that really stands out to me as negative. We had just arrived at the Poly after a 12 hour day of traveling. Dropped our stuff in our room and went to find food at capt cook's (QS). It was late, around 9PM, but we'd seen in the elevator that it was open 24 hrs so we were hopeful we'd find foo. When we arrived, I ASKED the manager if we could order fries. our fries needed to be gluten-free, special frier, due to allergies.

Anyhow - I asked if we could get fries and chicken fingers, she said yes. rolled her eyes at me, then hollered in to the back that they needed to turn the frier back on b/c some guest wanted them to make special food. The person called back to her, she looked at me and rolled her eyes and responded that the guest insisted.

I was really upset and said, if it's trouble, it's okay we don't need any, I explained we'd seen the sign saying that it was open 24 hrs. She said it only meant the building, but hot food was done at 11. I pointed out that it was still 2 hours away - she then told em that they turn all the friers off 2 hours before they're done serving b/c it takes a long time to cool down.

I told her we didn't need any thing and I'd go find something somewhere else. she proceeded to get even more belligerent with me - I felt 2 in tall and was crying by this point. And then I had to stand there waiting for my food, and listening to her go on about the rude guests to the other CMs that were there.

I couldn't tell you if the fries or chicken fingers were any good, it was all I could do to choke them down. But we learned our lesson - if a sign says food is done being served at 11, make sure we're there no later than 8 - or expect to be abused if you want to eat.

Hoping that you complained...because that's crap.

The worst cm interaction was at le cellier. We has adr so I went to check in we had a party of 5. The hostess has an attitude but I didn't care too much. We were waiting by the check in place when another party of 5 came they clearly knew the hostess. They were seated within 10 min we had been waiting for 30 min. So I went again to see how much longer we needed to wait. The other hostess told me it showed we were already seated! She asked my who check us in so I told her and it became a huge deal. Both cms started arguing, the manager was called by another cm. After 40 min we were seated but it ruin out experience we have never been back.

This mostly just irritated me, in DCA there is a nice little fountain play area in the bugs life section. It's just water squirting out of holes in the ground. I was 6 months pregnant and had my 18mo and it was really hot. He was in the stroller and his sandals were underneath. I jumped him out and let him play barefoot. He was thrilled! A PP photographer came up and started taking pics of him. My fav pics from that trip are of just then. Just then, another CM came up and told me he needed shoes on. I started looking in the stroller, couldn't find the other shoe, she kept insisting he needed shoes, he's squirming, trying to get back to playing the whole time I'm looking. I asked if there was anywhere I could buy shoes around, she said something like "I have no idea, but he needs shoes period ". At that point I was so annoyed by the constant harping on the shoes, I put DS back in the stroller wet and left. DD and DH were supposed to meet us at that water place so I speed walked as fast as a pregnant woman can back to the hotel for his other shoes and back again. Of course she made sure to check to see if he had shoes when I got back.

Ours were on our last trip and surprisingly all related to Magic Bands (go figure).

We were staying at Boardwalk in January on the Club Level (thank you CM best friend!) and I had made a special request to ask for physical keys. She hadn't brought them out yet so while my Dad was checking in I asked her about them and she cut me off the middle of my question with a "Yes. I saw you asked for regular keys, I have them right here." It was January 1st, so we were making small talks about the park so I said "It must have been ridiculous yesterday." She responded: "Well that's what's so great about the bands is you can pick your 3 rides on busy days" with an attitude. I mean, it wasn't that out there but for some reason I felt she was offended we'd ask for cards.

Later that day when I tried to open the club door with my keycard there was a different man at the desk and he said: "It won't open until you've opened your room with your MagicBands," to which I responded "We already opened it" (with our room keys) and he said "With your magic band?". I told him we chose not to use the bands and he literally said "What do you mean you aren't using the bands?" gave me a really weird look, and opened the door for us.

The rest of CMs on Club Level were OUTSTANDING but it was super weird that those two employees were pushing MB and FP+ on us. I wonder if that's what Disney's trained them to do?

Hoping that you complained...because that's crap.

In the moment I was too upset to complain. And later I didn't want to waste my time going to the front to complain. So no, I didn't complain in the moment. However, I did talk to a chef about our experience the next day. Not really a formal complaint, but I suspect it was still dealt with.

The worst cm interaction was at le cellier. We has adr so I went to check in we had a party of 5. The hostess has an attitude but I didn't care too much. We were waiting by the check in place when another party of 5 came they clearly knew the hostess. They were seated within 10 min we had been waiting for 30 min. So I went again to see how much longer we needed to wait. The other hostess told me it showed we were already seated! She asked my who check us in so I told her and it became a huge deal. Both cms started arguing, the manager was called by another cm. After 40 min we were seated but it ruin out experience we have never been back.

The exact same thing happened to my mother and I at 'Ohana! Our little pagers NEVER buzzed but we saw several families who came after us yet were seated before us. Went back to the podium only to find out that we had been listed as 'seated' for over 30 minutes!

The CMs were great about finding a table for us, but my mother was not happy--she was going to ask for it to be comped but neither of us really have the guts to complain that much.

My other story is the reverse--I was in MK a couple of weeks ago and a younger lady with a couple of kids was standing in line for Space Mountain smoking an e-cigarette. Normally I don't mind those as I know that they produce water vapor, but since most don't know the difference, I think the official Disney policy is that they must also be used only in the designated areas...mind you, the e-cig looked more like a pot pipe and both she and the kids were swearing like sailors in front of everyone. Then, once we got to the loading area and a CM pointed out that she was not allowed to smoke in line, she went off on the poor guy...she had 'every right' to smoke it because it was 'just water', more swearing, etc...:sad2:

I have had a few unprofessional CMs. I think I am a pretty upbeat person, certainly happy to be in the World...my point is, I don't think I have brought these experiences on by MY actions.

We had a Pooh at Crystal Palace who was VERY irritated that we had 4 autograph books (my DH got me one as a gift to commemorate my birthday trip). S/he tried to get character handler involved. In the end, the books were signed but my book was tossed onto my plateful of food.

A CL CM at the BC was horrible to my entire family. I have told the story here before. It is long, but, initially, she ridiculed me asking if my request for a full balcony was granted because I used a pin code...only people who paid more got a balcony, according to her. It went downhill from there. It was mortifying.

We had the oddest experience at the fish and chip shop in Epcot. It was a few minutes before park closing. We got in line, two parties ahead of us, when a custodian, an elderly man, who was emptying the trash moved over to stand between us and the people ahead of us, literally blocking us. He started yelling and shaking his finger in my face that they were closed. I still have absolutely no idea what prompted it nor do I understand why the fish shop CMs couldn't have told us they were closing themselves. I tried to lean around him to ask them directly and he yelled "Don't you talk to them!" I felt physically threatened and I walked around the area to complain to someone as the fish shop CMs just diligently ignored the action. I was unsuccessful, should have gone to GR in IG but we just wanted to find food at that point (went to the BW).

Finally, another story I gave shared here...another BC CM in the Marketplace refused to sell me a refillable mug when I mentioned how glad I was that they were allowing us to use them at any resort (since we had a split stay). She took it from my hand and said I won't sell it to you if you intend to use it at another resort. :confused3 Very weird since Disney advertises that a perk of the new mugs is use at all the resorts.

Maybe I am a weirdo magnet...

A few years back we booked a Fantasmic dining package at Mama Melrose and we were given our pass and told where we needed to go so we could enter,We were also told to be there before 6:30 so we could be seated . Well we showed up at 6:20 and a young male cast member told us we were too late that the seats were already filled and that we couldn't enter. I showed him our pass and that it said that we needed to be there before 6:30 and it was only 6:20, he said there was nothing he could do. My wife said to him that we just spent over $150 dollars on dinner that included seating for Fantasmic . He rolled his eyes and turned his back to her and began to speak to another guest. I of course called him out on it and said if you can't let us in that's fine but you don't roll your eyes at a guest and turn your back to them when they are speaking to you. I asked for his name and walked right over to customer service and spoke with the cast member who apologized and gave us a pass to see Fantasmic on another day during our trip. We have been to WDW on 20 seperate vacations and we usually stay 7-10 days each time,and that was the only negative experience I ever had with a cast member...I have had many many more pleasant experiences that have more than made up for that one guy.

I am currently at Disney, and had two cast members be completely rude to my DH. He is quitting smoking so he is using an e-cigarette. Before we visited, I checked the Disney site for their smoking policy and e-cigs were not listed. Now my husband and I are respectful people and he understands it puts out a cloud of water vapor. So, he isn't sitting on rides next to children puffing it, however he was sitting to the side of guest relations and blowing it up in the sky (with no other guests around) and the CM says "you can't do that here, put it away NOW!" We also had a CM embarrass him on splash mountain with it. He was holding it in his hand so it wouldn't break and the CM yells 'Sir, sir. You can't smoke in here!' Went to guest relations to ask a question and then to share the splash mountain experience, and she informed me he could do it wherever, apologized for the rude behavior, etc. I go outside to find DH and he informs me about the other CM being rude, so I go back in and speak with another CM and am again apologized to and told policy is it is to be done in smoking areas. They change policies and everything else in a days notice, how come e-cigs are not in policies yet. Also, for people that use them to quit smoking is it in the best interest to put them near the smoking section. I'm not sure what/where is 'right' for e-cigs (as right is very subjective), however the CM's were rude and disrespectful tonight.

Only once, but it was memorable.... I was exiting the Storybook Land Canal boats at Disneyland, and one of the other guests had left an empty Disneyland bag behind on the seat. The CM looked pointedly at me and said in a very loud and shaming voice something like, "Are you just going to leave trash in our boat?" about the bag that someone else had left behind. It doesn't sound that bad as I am typing it, but I didn't like being accused and singled out, and he did it VERY rudely. I was probably extra offended because I am definitely not a litterbug!

I am so happy that we have never encountered any rude CMs but we have had some unprofessional "awkward" interactions.

1) This was the worst. We were in line at HS at the turnstile (so we were kinda trapped) and this older woman CM started chatting with us and she began this long tirade about "dumb guests" and all the stupid mistakes they make. Just one uncomfortable (loud) story after another for 30-45 minutes.
It was so unDisney-like ..... my two teenagers and I were sooooo uncomfortable! This was the kind of conversation that should have only taken place in private AWAY from paying guests. (I know there are times to vent stuff like this) It was actually upsetting cuz it was so NOT Disney.
And of course since its not in my nature to be disrespectful, I couldnt bring myself to chastise her.

2) We had a CM on pre-parade duty for Spectro and he was somewhat socially awkward and wouldnt leave us alone. Specifically my mom (who is friendly and chatty by nature) But when we tried to end the conversation and kinda turn away from him, he just kept talking, telling us stories about his personal life that were borderline inappropriate for the situation. I felt bad cuz it was fairly obvious that he must not have anybody to talk to outside of work.

3) While waiting for Illuminations, a cleaning crew CM emptied the trash can next to us and wouldnt leave us alone....... off and on for close to an hour he just kept coming back and interrupting to talk to us. I know it might come across stuck up or self-centered, but when you pay the kind of money we pay for a WDW vacation, the CMs shouldnt make you uncomfortable.

But these situations are few and far between....... and the super awesome CM interactions that get my family all animated and excited when we talk about them to others FAR outnumber these 3 minor incidences.

OT but I wonder if there have been more situation of "rude" CM type behavior since the whole FP+ and Magic bands have rolled out. It must be amazingly frustrating to have a job where your "product" is confusing and glitchy (causing frustrated guest interactions)

Only one that stands out, but it wasn't too horrible. The fish to with DS6 was after a long break from my previous trip, so I didn't remember where everything was. He wanted to ride Pooh and I didn't know exactly where it was. We were in Fantasyland by the Pooh FP machines and I assumed the machines are next to the ride, so I went to the CM outside Philharmagic and asked if this was Pooh and ask I got was a very snarky "no", nothing else. Clearly I didn't know where it was, she could've easily pointed me in the right direction. I had to ask where it wand all I got was a gesture in the general direction.

I just brushed it off as someone having a bad day, but if certainly was far from magical.

Our 10th consecutive trip to WDW last year was made awful by one CM in HS, I had been suffering for almost a year with severe leg pain, I was having physio and using a cane to get about. I was hoping it was going to turn out to be a temporary disability, but I have since had MRI scans and diagnosed with meniscal tears in both knees and advanced chronic arthritis. Anyhow, this particular morning in HS was EMH and we were also trialling the magic band and fast pass +, my husband had signed up our son for Jedi training and then met me back at the 'hat' I could not walk very far and was using my cane again I thought it was a temporary disability so declined a wheelchair from the parking assistants who let us park at the end of row so I didn't have to walk far to the tram. We looked around for something to do before our first fast pass and spotted 2 people waiting for the movie ride to open so we got in line behind them. When the ride opened I noticed that the wait standby queue had been roped into a zig zag way and my heart sank, my physio told me to not twist so much, anyhow I spotted the fast pass and wheelchair entrance was empty, further away but a straight walk so I asked the CM if I could go and wait for my husband and son to reach that point, she nodded and off I went. The young man on the door watched me walk with some difficulty all the way over then hold out his hand and demanded Fast pass or GAC, I had neither, I explained my pain and difficulty walking and that it was the opening of the ride so there was no queue, nor where there anyone with fast passes or wheelchairs needing to get in and that I merely wanted to meet up with my husband and son when they reached that spot in the standby queue. He shouted loudly that I was trying to push in by buying myself a cane and pretending to walk with difficulty in order to push to the front of the queue. Again I stressed that my husband and son where in that queue and I just wanted to be allowed to join them when they reached that spot. He then said Disney had got wise to frauds like me tring to push in by falsely claiming disability, by which time I was crying, he said I needed to go to the front of the park, delete one of my fast passes and then book one for the ride and come back. By this time no one else had come to the fast pass entrance as the stand by was walk on (for those who could LOL), and my husband and son where stood behind him, I told them to just go on without me but my son got upset and as my husband took him towards the ride the rude CM jerked his thumb over his shoulder and told me to get in. I told him very quietly that in 10 years of visiting WDW that was the first time I had felt unwelcome, I ashes to see his name as it was hiding in his top pocket, he shoved the card right to my nose ( yes it touched) and yelled so loudly that people in the standby queue all looked over "have a nice day" I was so upset that we left after the ride, which was only half full. I did complain to guest services and they told me he would be retrained.

This is more along the lines of inappropriate than rude. A guest on a bus was standing and engaging a driver in conversation ( as many do). The bus was only 1/3 full. There was no reason for this guest to stand--other than to speak to the driver. Several other groups could hear the conversation.

Somehow, they started talking about politics, religion, gay marriage, etc. The Disney bus driver made some strong, political and personal statements about these issues. Obviously he is entitled to his opinion and I felt like the guest was opened the conversation,...but I also felt it because he was wearing Disney's uniform he probably should not express himself in that way at work.

I thought about writing a letter to Disney. I didn't want to "get him in trouble". I was very put off by this situation.

No - not every CM has been "awesome", but in our many trips none have been rude or nasty, or anything close to either.

I can't say that we've had any who were out right rude to us, just some who are not as happy as others. I've worked in customer service, I know that it's not always easy.

When DS was little he lost his shoe as he was getting on the boat on POTC. It went in the water never to be seen again. When I told the CM what had happened he laughed hysterically. I guess you could say that was rude, but having teen sons I can see them doing the same thing.

I do remember once at CM's there were two waiters who were being very,very snippy to one another. I believe it had something to do with one getting to have more of the larger party tables.

I am not remembering anything that was rude that wasn't necessary. For example, a traveling companion whose hat flew off just before a ride started. He tried to retrieve it as the ride started. He intended no malice, the CM was none too pleased and was quite um...strict. But given that the companion could have sustained a lethal injury--I felt his dimeanor was in line with how he should have reacted to a guest for a breach of safety. It was just that--the companion had not intended to do wrong--he just reacted. But rules for staying seated and buckled exist for a reason.

But your son's shoe story reminds me of my lost shoe. It was on space mountain. They ran us through but did stop the ride a few cars later to retrieve my shoe. When the CM carried it back, we thought it hysterical--like he has lost the bet and had to hold the shoe. He extended it out on this long grabber thing. I Guess some would have thought he was being very rude. Us teens thought it downright hysterical.

I think most of our experiences over the years have been positive. Some aren't as magical as others--but I cannot think of where I think a CM has mistreated me.

Nope, never. And to be frank I probably shrug off about half of the posts by people who do complain about CMs. I think many times when someone thinks a CM is rude, it is because the guest is not feeling well, or because the CM was forceful because of a safety issue.

I remember a few years back someone posting about a "rude" CM. They were quite upset. Turns out that the poster had a son who started to feel ill, and they decided to jump off of the ride in Ellen, while it was starting to go into motion. The CM probably did raise their voice, but that guest could have been seriously hurt. If you ignore the many safety signs and messages before you get on a ride and then do something to put yourself in danger then yes, you do deserve a bit of a yell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter