Harvest instead of Halloween?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow trick or treat = taking candy from strangers

And sitting on Santas lap = a perverted old man.

And many a people have called me a helicopter parent. Glad I'm one of the ones who lets my kids be kids and doesn't always look for an underlying cause for something bad to happen. :sad2:

Wow trick or treat = taking candy from strangers

And sitting on Santas lap = a perverted old man.

And many a people have called me a helicopter parent. Glad I'm one of the ones who lets my kids be kids and doesn't always look for an underlying cause for something bad to happen. :sad2:

I'm totally with ya'!:thumbsup2

not letting your children sit on strange mens laps is considered a "helicopter parent"? last time i checked that reffered to parents who didnt allow their children to make mistakes.
if the guy in the suit is a pervert then it would be considered my mistake, surely not theirs.

not letting your children sit on strange mens laps is considered a "helicopter parent"? last time i checked that reffered to parents who didnt allow their children to make mistakes.
if the guy in the suit is a pervert then it would be considered my mistake, surely not theirs.

And not letting your kids do anything because you're afraid something bad is going to happen is also a form of helicopter parenting.

I'm as protective as the next parent but all I could say about the trick or treat comment and the perverted Santa comment is Wow :sad2: I think I'm paranoid and thoughts like that never crossed my mind.

And not letting your kids do anything because you're afraid something bad is going to happen is also a form of helicopter parenting.

I'm as protective as the next parent but all I could say about the trick or treat comment and the perverted Santa comment is Wow :sad2: I think I'm paranoid and thoughts like that never crossed my mind.

i am actually the least over protective parent youll meet. right now my 3 and 4yo sons are playing alone in the *gasp* front yard. and like i said we do halloween.

you can do whatever you want with your child. but how dare you tell another parent they are wrong for a decision they have made with their child?

I don't like the scary costumes just because they don't appeal to me and i don't like DD getting scared by them, but I have no problem with halloween itself. It was not in its original form a satanic, scary, or occult holiday. I know a lot of ppl object on religious grounds, but I am christian and have done the research into its origins. I choose to look on it as a vehicle used to convert the Druids to christianity that has sice been incorporated into the christian calendar as the eve of all saints day, all hallows eve. I see it as a great way to do just what the druids intended it for, celebrate the harvest and the blessings it brings.
Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the info. That really clears things up actually. Nothing like a good analogy!! Believe it or not I can understand the misconceptions. We are Episcopalian in the south. For lots of ppl the first question is where do you go to church, and lots of ppl look at me like I have grown 2 heads when I tell them. Then they ask me if that is a christian church.
Can't tell you how many kids, RC kids for the most part, have asked my dd if she is a Christian...we are Episcopalians..have been for generations. It's mind boggling how much misinformation is out there. Perhaps if the schools were allowed to teach the religions of the world, as a matter of course, there wouldn't be nearly as much upheaval out there.

i love religion, it intregues me. but i have to be honest there are a couple ive just never looked into much. epicopalian being one of them, also protestant and lutherin. but maybe now i will have to. i hate that i cant add anything to an episopalian conversation...except that im quite aware that its a christian religion, lol.
We Episcopalians hold many of the same beliefs and rituals at the Lutheran's do. We have been called Catholic Light..my dh (former RC) calls himself a 'recovering Catholic'. He hated church as a kid, hated it as an adult, but now that he has become an Episcopalian, he no longer hates church. Actually kind of likes it.
Halloween? Santa? Easter bunny? Man, how did that all get going!!! I seriously doubt that the majority of 'Santa's' out there are perverts. I've met a lot and they are just normal, happy older guys who love what they do. Do I allow strangers to 'touch' my child? No, not as a rule. But, my dd sat on Santa's lap, as well as the Easter bunny, with no ill effects. Well....other than the effects on her over-active imagination at night. We stopped the 'seatings' after about 2 years....actually had to call the Easter bunny to make sure he left her basket on the back deck and didn't come into the house!!!

We celebrate Halloween in our house. We love this time of year....for many reasons. Loved going to a friend's house who was wiccan. No, I didn't take my dd, she wasn't born yet. And I really miss that friend...she moved away many years ago and we lost touch.

There is plenty of room for many beliefs in this world. It's truly sad when people can't discuss various beliefs without others getting in a huff or feeling that their particular belief has been belittled. I love learning about religions..it always amazes me how many similarities there are in many of them.
But to just out and out say that Halloween is evil and it's a truly bad thing...well, that's wrong as far as I'm concered. I actually had an older woman come up to me at church a few years ago. She told me, and I quote,..."I hope you don't have any of those witch Halloween decorations up in your house. Those allow true dead spirits to enter your house, especially the evil ones." Yep, that's what she said, and not just to me..to everyone who had a youngster. Nope, no open mindedness going on there!!!

Happy Halloween everyone...however you choose to celebrate it!! Happy Falloween, Happy Harvest!!!

you can do whatever you want with your child. but how dare you tell another parent they are wrong for a decision they have made with their child?

Umm don't believe I ever said that. I believe the word I used was paranoid.

And stop threatening me,,,How dare I? pleeease! :sad2:

no, we dont wait in the lines to see the characters. we do see them at meals. but last time i checked they werent putting your kids on their laps. that to me is creepy. they usually stand begind the child and take the picture.

where does everyone live that they know so much about their santas? ours are in the mall, theres no resume hanging next to him?or any kind of info about who he is. there are about 6 malls near me, i would guess each mall has 2-3 santas.

yes i have pics of the characters standing behind my kids, I also have sweet pictures of Mickey hugging my dd..........is mickey a pervert??? LOL, could be i don't know who is under there, but its a sweet sweet picture!

the santa at our local mall is the same old man for the past 8 years. i have pics with my dd as a baby, and my ds as a baby with the same santa.
last year we did something different......we went to one of those living history museums and they had santa and mrs. claus, i liked that a lot, we will go there again this year too.

i am actually the least over protective parent youll meet. right now my 3 and 4yo sons are playing alone in the *gasp* front yard. and like i said we do halloween.

Alone? As in 'all by themselves'??? Wow. Just kidding, couldn't resist. Hope they're bundled up though..it's a bit chilly today. What happened to the weather of yesterday??

From urban dictionary:
A hovering & controlling, but well-meaning, parent who gets way too involved in her child's life

Just so you know the proper definition. :cloud9:

Alone? As in 'all by themselves'??? Wow. Just kidding, couldn't resist. Hope they're bundled up though..it's a bit chilly today. What happened to the weather of yesterday??

its not too bad here, though it was warmer this morning at the bus stop. yesterday was beautiful though wasnt it. well except it was hard to enjoy in the mist of the pats game:headache:

We live in the country and don't really have anywhere for our kids to "trick or treat". We are very active in our church and have a VERY large Fall Festival that we participate and work in. My DD's school also has a big fall festival the weekend after Halloween (no costumes). My kids get plenty of candy from those 2 events.

I work with the youth at my church and we had a few of us dress up like characters from POTC. Our youth pastor is a spot on look-alike for Jack Sparrow. I was Barbossa. This year our band is dressing up as The Blues Brothers and performing at the festival. I get to be Jake Blues!

Even if we lived in a neighborhood, I don't know that we'd take our kids "trick or treating" simply because there are so many people out there that you have to watch your kids around. It's a shame that a few sickos have to ruin things for the vast majority of people.

its hilarious how worked up people get on a message board. why does anyone care if i dont put my child on santas lap? did i tell anyone they were wrong for doing so? we all make decisions for our children. i dont have to get anyones approval for my decisions, and its crazy that people think they have the right to tell me im wrong?
if you all want to do it, have fun. you really dont have to defend your decision. i dont really care what you choose to do.

It's funny, you reminded me of something.
I am so used to the same old man at our local mall as santa, one year we happened to be at a different mall, and the santa was obviously NOT an older man.....the beard was fake unlike our local santa......LOL......and he looked like a young person under the costume,
hubby and i just looked at each other like:confused3
and my dd looked and got this weird look on her face and said "that is not the real santa"
there was NO way i would have let them sit on that santas lap:)

I think the reason people get "offended" on these boards is because it's hard to read emotion on a computer screen. When someone says, "I would NEVER let my child do that", it might imply that you are a better parent than someone who WOULD let their child do that. No, it's probably not the intent of the comment, but it can easily be taken that way...and then it makes the responder have to be a bit defensive of their decision. Then, criticisms and sarcasms fly, and it can get nasty. I really loved these boards when I was new to them, and then I innocently made a comment on another thread and got bombarded with mean things. It took me a while before I could jump back in!

I think the reason people get "offended" on these boards is because it's hard to read emotion on a computer screen. When someone says, "I would NEVER let my child do that", it might imply that you are a better parent than someone who WOULD let their child do that. No, it's probably not the intent of the comment, but it can easily be taken that way...and then it makes the responder have to be a bit defensive of their decision. Then, criticisms and sarcasms fly, and it can get nasty. I really loved these boards when I was new to them, and then I innocently made a comment on another thread and got bombarded with mean things. It took me a while before I could jump back in!

all i said was i dont let santa touch my children. there was no need for anyone to get defensive in their comments. i never said anyone had to do the same. i would think anyone who was comfortable in the choices they make as a parent really wouldnt care about the choices i make.
we do halloween. a poster said she doesnt trust people and doesnt let her children do it. i am quite secure in the way that i parent that i didnt feel the need to jump all over her. she makes her decisions and i make mine.

I'm catholic & love Halloween!!! I don't think it's about the devil or sadistic worship-it's just a time to dress up & have fun. Some do take it to the extreme but hey-to each his own! I do respect others that don't celebrate. Just don't preach to me about how bad it is b/c I don't preach that all should celebrate it.

no, we dont wait in the lines to see the characters. we do see them at meals. but last time i checked they werent putting your kids on their laps. that to me is creepy. they usually stand begind the child and take the picture.

where does everyone live that they know so much about their santas? ours are in the mall, theres no resume hanging next to him?or any kind of info about who he is. there are about 6 malls near me, i would guess each mall has 2-3 santas.

So you don't wait in lines at Disney. But my question was WHERE to draw the line? Some people differ on that point. I know about the Santa at our mall because a friend of mine is the photographer. We only have the one, like I said he is supplied by an agency. Now the Easter Bunny, THAT is a different story LOL.

So you don't wait in lines at Disney. But my question was WHERE to draw the line? Some people differ on that point. I know about the Santa at our mall because a friend of mine is the photographer. We only have the one, like I said he is supplied by an agency. Now the Easter Bunny, THAT is a different story LOL.

what line? i dont put my children on strangers laps. period. i dont see where i would ever have to make an exception to that rule.

what line? i dont put my children on strangers laps. period. i dont see where i would ever have to make an exception to that rule.

Haven't read ALL these posts, but what about a Disney character's lap? (They are strangers too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter