• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Harry Potter's FJ Child Swap Question

FiveofusNL

Mouseketeer
Hi, my husband, middle child and I would like to ride Forbidden Journey. My youngest child (10) and my oldest (14) don't want to do it at all. Am I able to leave the 10 yr old at the child swap with her older brother rather than a parent so that the rest of us can do the ride? If yes, can we leave a backpack with them rather than use the lockers?

I don't know about whether or not you can leave a younger child with an older child, but you should be able to leave the backpack with whomever stays in the child swap area. My husband and I rode Forbidden Journey, and he kept the backpack throughout the line and into the child swap area. I rode first while he kept the backpack and DD in the child swap area, then we switched - no problem.

Hi, my husband, middle child and I would like to ride Forbidden Journey. My youngest child (10) and my oldest (14) don't want to do it at all. Am I able to leave the 10 yr old at the child swap with her older brother rather than a parent so that the rest of us can do the ride? If yes, can we leave a backpack with them rather than use the lockers?

shouldn't be a problem.

i've seen others decide not to go on the ride at the last minute and use the child swap room.

let the TM be aware you will be using the child swap room.

Be ready with "they aren't riding" for all the Team Members who notice the backpack. Easier than a big long explanation. :)

Thanks! I was concerned that children could not be left at the child swap area without an accompanying parent/ adult.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think 14 was the actual age of an older child to ride with a younger as a supervisor , so surely 14 is old enough to supervise in child swap. I saw kids younger than 14 stay in there alone. And yes on the backpack...we never used lockers since my 5 yr old couldn't ride.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think 14 was the actual age of an older child to ride with a younger as a supervisor , so surely 14 is old enough to supervise in child swap. I saw kids younger than 14 stay in there alone. And yes on the backpack...we never used lockers since my 5 yr old couldn't ride.

Thanks. I was unaware of that rule and never realized kids could even stay there alone. Will work out great for us then.

Thanks. I was unaware of that rule and never realized kids could even stay there alone. Will work out great for us then.

Well, the riding alone rule at Universal is 48" and above (as long as they meet any other height requirement for the ride), which means that my 6 year old could go through the line and on the ride of any ride he could go on, all alone. (he only did so on Hippogriff and Woody Woodpecker's coaster, by the way) So I bet the 10 year old could be there in that room alone.

Depending on comfort levels of everyone (the 10 year old first and foremost) and other factors based on your family dynamic, you could even let the 10 year old shop (FJ and its chicken exit lets out into the giftshop) while you are on the ride, or go ride Flight of the Hippogriff 6 times in a row, etc. Only you know your specific child, and once you see the park and what it's like, you could make that decision.

My son has been there 4 times now, and isn't 9 yet...I bet by late 9 or early 10 he would be able to do that sort of thing. But he has experience, and it certainly wouldn't be something we did everywhere. We would probably also make sure he had some sort of small waistpack and carried one of our cellphones with him, just in case.

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. Makes it much easier to plan out your day when you know these things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter