Harry Potter- Wizarding World FAQ

Is it true that you should hit up WWoHP in the afternoon or is that just a myth to make less people go in the morning? I'm hoping people here will give honest advice! Heh..
Also, I'll be going the second week of May on a weekday if that helps.

Anybody have any idea of what the wait time for Forbidden Journey might be if we rush there first thing in the morning?

One more, is what this website says about the "bag line" true? - http://wizardingworldpark.com/ride-forbidden-journey-ride-10-minutes/2010/09/22/

- I would recommend it, simply because the general mentality is "let's go as soon as the park opens to beat the crowds" so you have EVERYONE doing this. Not to mention, if you're not staying at an on-site hotel, everyone who is has already had an hour ahead of you to fill WWOHP and they're not going to head out after their exclusive hour. Best to go toward late afternoon. Especially now that spring break and summer crowds are starting. When I head out, I leave Harry to the last part of the day and ride the rest of the attractions first because typically, you walk right on them early in the day.

- Hard to tell. It depends on how many people have taken advantage of the early entrance perk of being an on-site guest. And also how many other charging rhinos at "rope drop" are competing with you. You can probably still get away with going during the week and seeing less crowds, but as March and April progress, that will get less likely. It'll stay ridiculously crowded until mid-September or so, then pick up again around the holidays.

- Honestly, I have never waited too long outside of the castle to get a locker. The problem is that most people go to the first block of lockers they see and the area gets so congested it's hard to move past them. The truth is, there are a TON of lockers further back but people are too oblivious to keep going to see them. Going through the gift shop IS an option but please only do that as a last resort. Getting OUT of that shop is already hard enough. The rest of the site's advice is true. To avoid the longest wait, ask for the single riders line and when you're done, go back in and ask for the castle tour to see the rest of the castle. The line for lockers is not the best judge of just how long realistically you're going to wait for the ride.

How much time should I allot for Harry? I am going on a busy, busy week (the Sunday before Easter), I am a HUGE Harry fan, and I want to see everything in there. Is this going to be an all day experience? We couldn't afford the on site hotel, so we are staying at the Double Tree at the Gates of Universal or something like that. We are thinking of getting in line at 7:30 for a 9:00 opening. Any thought would be greatly appreciated!

I have another question...
I believe this was asked before, but I just wanted to be 100% clear (since I've heard opposing comments)...
8yhq87.jpg

You can go both directions (red & green), correct?

I'm expecting big crowds. We are going to IOA mostly for Harry Potter. We have been to IOA pre harry potter. We are staying off site. I'm wondering if Friday or Sat will be better?
From previous posts I think we will head for Hulk at rope drop and go clockwise and end the day in Wwohp. DD really wants to do Rip Ride Rocket?? Trying to decide to buy 2 park pass and run over and do it in the afternoon.
Also might go to Tschop Chop for lunch or an early dinner and go back to IOA for late night Potter?? Park is open 9am to 10pm. Will make for a very long day. Might do Fri and Sat so not so crazy??

I believe this was asked before, but I just wanted to be 100% clear (since I've heard opposing comments)...

Yes, you can go both directions.

Also, with respect to the bag line -- when it's a long line OUTSIDE the castle, it's almost always for the lockers. You'll start to see this, again with spring breaks starting up, this week. I've never waited longer than 25 minutes for the Harry Potter ride, even when it's super busy, but I don't wait for the locker line and I take single rider. The gift shop is a good method and now that they've opened up two doors to it, it's not quite as bad getting in and out....of course, you still have lots of people that don't see that second door, over by the photo center.

I'm expecting big crowds. We are going to IOA mostly for Harry Potter. We have been to IOA pre harry potter. We are staying off site. I'm wondering if Friday or Sat will be better?
From previous posts I think we will head for Hulk at rope drop and go clockwise and end the day in Wwohp. DD really wants to do Rip Ride Rocket?? Trying to decide to buy 2 park pass and run over and do it in the afternoon.
Also might go to Tschop Chop for lunch or an early dinner and go back to IOA for late night Potter?? Park is open 9am to 10pm. Will make for a very long day. Might do Fri and Sat so not so crazy??

They're likely to both be busy, but Friday slightly less so....

One warning with the Rip, Ride, Rocket -- it's operating hours can be VERY sporadic....I would personally not plan much around it, as you may get there and it's closed....has been my experience, anyway.

8yhq87.jpg

One comment on this. When it is busy enough TMs will direct you which way to go in the morning. Like only resort guests will go to the right and all other guests have to go to the left. Just FYI. :goodvibes

One comment on this. When it is busy enough TMs will direct you which way to go in the morning. Like only resort guests will go to the right and all other guests have to go to the left. Just FYI. :goodvibes
Ah! Thank you very much for that info!
That must've been what happened... because I actually heard of some people not being able to go a certain way!

I made it to the end of the thread! :D Wow, what a *lot* of information, I am so glad to have found this place and so so thankful that you guys are so generous with your help.

While reading through I've been trying to work out how I'm going to do things, I was hoping that one of you might cast your eye over my thoughts and let me know if it seems ok?

It's our first trip overseas and we're staying at Disney World in All Stars Music. I simply MUST visit Harry Potter world, so we are going to go to IOA (despite my husband not being pleased that it's sooo expensive for the day!)
As we don't drive we're going to need a cab. As there's 6 of us it's going to need to be a big one.

There will be me and my husband, plus an almost 2 year old and my other children aged 6, 8 and almost 10.
I think my older two children are both tall enough to ride FJ, though I am unsure whether it will be a bit too scary for them - any opinions?

We're aiming to get there as early as possible and make a day of it, do you have any idea what time we should leave our hotel?

I'm thinking we head straight for Olivander's, then over to FJ. We'll go through the line and do the baby swap (swapping bags too, so we wont need to bother with lockers)

I'm hoping to get lunch at the Three Broomsticks.
Would this be a place where it's ok for one adult to wait and the other adult walk around with children until a table is available? We wont get queue-jumping anger from other people for this would we?

Then from here I plan to take the rest of the day as easy as possible, the Seuss bit sounds fun :)
We're holidaying from May 10th til May 24th. We're probably going to spend the first week at Disney, but I was hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of what date or day would be best for WWOHP?

Thanks once more, you fantastic people!

I made it to the end of the thread! :D Wow, what a *lot* of information, I am so glad to have found this place and so so thankful that you guys are so generous with your help.

I did the same thing, lurking around here gathering all the intel I could before my first trip last summer. Smart planning in my opinion!

While reading through I've been trying to work out how I'm going to do things, I was hoping that one of you might cast your eye over my thoughts and let me know if it seems ok?

It's our first trip overseas and we're staying at Disney World in All Stars Music. I simply MUST visit Harry Potter world, so we are going to go to IOA (despite my husband not being pleased that it's sooo expensive for the day!)
As we don't drive we're going to need a cab. As there's 6 of us it's going to need to be a big one.

There will be me and my husband, plus an almost 2 year old and my other children aged 6, 8 and almost 10.
I think my older two children are both tall enough to ride FJ, though I am unsure whether it will be a bit too scary for them - any opinions?

They can probably handle it. I don't want to give away anything, but there are several times during the ride where scary things from the HP universe get pretty close--closer than any ride I've ever been on. You might want to send one adult through the single-rider queue first so they can judge. This single-rider queue rarely takes more than 10 minutes. If the adult says "okay", then everyone go through the main queue with your bags and use child-swap. I believe both the older children should be able to ride twice (once with each parent) using the swap, but I have only one child so I am not 100% sure.

We're aiming to get there as early as possible and make a day of it, do you have any idea what time we should leave our hotel?

The park opens at 9:00, but they may let you in around 8:45 or so--just depends. For Sundays (I recommend below), I would say leave around 7:30-7:45 or so, depending on if you need to purchase tickets once at Uni. Universal is about 15 miles or so from WDW. Traffic on Sunday should be light. If you go mid-week (another recommendation below), traffic will be heavy, but a good taxi-driver should be able to avoid the worst of it. If this is your choice, leave 15-20 minutes earlier or so

I am basing these times so that you get to the Uni gates around 8:00 or 8:15. Others, especially the locals, may have better advice here.

I'm thinking we head straight for Olivander's, then over to FJ. We'll go through the line and do the baby swap (swapping bags too, so we wont need to bother with lockers)

Yes, I always recommend Ollivander's before FJ. The queue only gets worse throughout the day, except for maybe the last hour or so before close. FJ fluctuates more, and the queue is far more interesting. For Ollivander's you're just waiting outside in the heat.

Remember that since you are staying off-site, that all on-site guests will have an hour jump-start on you. The queues for O's and FJ will almost certainly still have a 30-minute wait at least even if you enter Uni at the first possible moment.

You've probably read this already, but Ollivander's is a cute show and mildly entertaining. I would not personally wait more than 60 minutes for it at the outside, but since you're British and apparently a big fan, you may want to wait longer. Obviously up to you. All that said, I don't think the wait will go over 60 minutes for the time you are there.

I'm hoping to get lunch at the Three Broomsticks.
Would this be a place where it's ok for one adult to wait and the other adult walk around with children until a table is available? We wont get queue-jumping anger from other people for this would we?

No, they won't let you. They police this more than at any other theme-park restaurant I know of. You'll all get in queue to order, then all get in queue to pick up your food, all get your silverware/napkins/condiments/whatever, then a TM will seat you.

Then from here I plan to take the rest of the day as easy as possible, the Seuss bit sounds fun :) It is!
We're holidaying from May 10th til May 24th. We're probably going to spend the first week at Disney, but I was hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of what date or day would be best for WWOHP?

I recommend Sunday May 15 or May 22. I have been several times on a Sunday and the crowds on this day have tended to be the lowest I've seen. You would probably also be fine during any mid-week days, May 17-19. That time of the year should not be crowded, but I still would not recommend Fridays, Saturdays, or Mondays--they tend to be the busiest in my opinion on any given week.

Thanks once more, you fantastic people!

My best answers above in red.

but I still would not recommend Fridays, Saturdays, or Mondays--they tend to be the busiest in my opinion on any given week.red.

Oh no! We're going on a Monday, right in the middle of spring break! :eek:

Has anyone taken the Mears shuttle? How long does it usually take for them to stop at different hotels and pick people up? What time should we schedule our pick up?

Thank you!

Oh no! We're going on a Monday, right in the middle of spring break! :eek:

Has anyone taken the Mears shuttle? How long does it usually take for them to stop at different hotels and pick people up? What time should we schedule our pick up?

Thank you!

They're all busy in the middle of spring break. I perhaps should have said on any normal week.

Thank you thank you thank you so much! That's really so helpful.

I'm afraid I now have one more question, but I hope it's my last on WWOHP anyway ;)

I'd really rather not have to bring a carseat for my toddler if I can help it, can you tell me if getting a bus is a really bad idea? Is it even possible to go by bus and get there before opening and where would be the nearest stop to Disney?

I'm afraid I'm completely used to London big red buses, so I know nothing in this area.

I'd really rather not have to bring a carseat for my toddler if I can help it, can you tell me if getting a bus is a really bad idea? Is it even possible to go by bus and get there before opening and where would be the nearest stop to Disney?
Going by Lynx bus isn't advisable because of the time it will take to get from Disney to Universal.

You can check the schedules here: http://golynx.com

You would be better off taking the Mears shuttle or a cab.

{snip}
{snip}

Get out the measuring tape and measure now! The worst is when a kid "expects" it and gives you the "I can't do it" face at the entrance. We were checked two or three times going in. My son measured 48" at the dr. office - with sneakers, he was at least an inch taller and would have whacked his head on the measuring stick if he wasn't careful.

There is a child swap at the entrance to the ride - a little room with videos I think.

My kids were scared - they kept their eyes shut most of the time. My older one (10yrs) wanted to do it again with us, but not the younger ones (7 yrs, 9 yrs) and the younger ones *love* Haunted Mansion, but this was scarier. Also cooler from an adult perspective!

{snip}
{snip}

Another alternative would be for you to stand in line with kids and do Ollivanders, while the other adult rides the single rider line to make the assessment. Would accomplish both goals and minimize 'wait' time for the other kids. Honestly, Mr. Surf thought the show at Ollivander's was stupid. The kids liked it, but after being through it, I wouldn't waste a lot of time in line for it. My limit would be more like 20-30 minutes and even that is generous.

{snip}
Then from here I plan to take the rest of the day as easy as possible, the Seuss bit sounds fun
{snip}

My kids loved Seuss Landing. We typically have ridden 'The Cat in the Hat', multiple times as well as the train multiple times. 'The Cat in the Hat' is almost like the Winnie the Pooh ride on steroids - the cars spin, bounce, etc. Plus, that was a favorite book of theirs. One Fish is very cute - a little spray of water but not enough to be soaking. If you ask at the trains, sometimes the conductor will let a kid say, "all aboard" or something. The tracks of the trains are different - one goes through the Circus McGirkus and one does not. If both are running, I would wait twice and do both sides, but be prepared that only one side might be running.

Will you do Pterandon Flyers ? If so, you will want to head there immediately after WWoHP. Only kids or adults with kids are allowed to ride - it is short, but I still really like it. This line grows very quickly though.

have a great time!

(btw, we got a locker at the entrance that we had all day. While it was less convenient from a logistics perspective, it was easier just to pay for it and stow lots of gear. Since we were there at 8am, it was chilly, so we started in jeans and carried shorts to change into - which we left in the locker. It was awesome for that!)

Also, if you do souvenir shopping at all, one of our favorites over the years is the "Thing 1" "Thing 2" and "Thing 3" tees. My kids love them and wear them all at the same time - they are easily identifiable in red shirts and get many comments "how cute they are". It is a fun tee that you can easily use!

Oh and they're early and reliable then? That's pretty fab, thanks! :)

...and if you buy the one day/two park pass with shuttle transfers, you get this shuttle for free...same price as a one day/two park, you just have to ask for the one that includes the shuttle transfers. You can get more info about it, here.

Surfgirl, thanks for that! :) I'm certain they're tall enough, both over 50inches :) The Thing t-shirts are I think, the only souveniers that I'm dead set on getting! lol

As for the pterandon flyers - I have no idea yet, I've not planned that far ahead! :( Really starting to feel like I need ot get my bum in gear now though, but also feeling quite overwhelmed.

Tim Jones, that's very interesting thanks. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra though - I mean, would we really get the chance to see much of both parks? I think IOA might fill up our day as we'll be going at child speed for at least some of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter