Harry Potter- Wizarding World FAQ

We are going just for the day on 12/10 to finish up a week in Orlando. We mostly want to see the Harry Potter stuff and don't care much about riding coasters. We will be taking our son who is 17 months. Is it doable to get the park to park pass and see most of not all of the Harry Potter stuff? As far as non coaster rides, would the baby be allowed on anything? The train ride maybe? Where should we start when we get to the park? We will be staying at a Disney resort but we will have our own transportation to Universal and plan on being their early in the morning.
Since all the Harry Potter stuff is in the back of both parks then just head straight there. If you are getting the park to park, which I recommend so you can ride the train both ways, then just start with either. The baby will be just fine on the train but the other rides will be a child swap like the other poster said. I love just being there and enveloped in all that is the Wizarding World. Have a great time and drink a frozen butterbeer for me!

Use the child swap set up so both of you can take turns on the rides

Www.universalorlando.com has sections of touring the parks with small children

It can help guide you for sections of the park your little will be able to do and enjoy

Since all the Harry Potter stuff is in the back of both parks then just head straight there. If you are getting the park to park, which I recommend so you can ride the train both ways, then just start with either. The baby will be just fine on the train but the other rides will be a child swap like the other poster said. I love just being there and enveloped in all that is the Wizarding World. Have a great time and drink a frozen butterbeer for me!

Thank you both very much. I will check out the desktop site I couldn't navigate very well on the mobile site.

Hi!! So, my trip is on the april and I'm afraid with the idea that I could have a pretty bad motion sickness after a ride on Forbidden Journey. I'm fine with roller coasters and the Evolution ride, but I read that a lot of people has motion sickness after ride on it. I don't know if I should go on Forbidden Journey or not, I'm so afraid to have motion sickness, I'm terrified about throw up since I was a kid. Do you think that a medicine to prevent motion sickness really works? Or you think I should give up because there's a big probability that I'm gonna get sick? Please, be honest, thank you!! :)

Hi! I went on the FJ back in 2010 without any Dramamine and I was sick, sick, sick the rest of the day. Not vomiting, but I felt like I could at any moment. Fast forward to 2015 and since then I've discovered the joys of Dramamine. Once again I braved FJ, with medicine administered well in advance, and voila - no motion sickness! It was great. From my experience, medicine like Dramamine does the trick! Good Luck!

Early entry rules question:

So we are staying on-site at RPR for one night. We get early entry to a park today. However while 4 of us will have regular tickets, on of us has a Power Pass subject to blackouts from early entry. Can that person still get in the parks early because they are staying onsite? It isn't a total park day blackout...just early entry.

Thanks!

Early entry rules question:

So we are staying on-site at RPR for one night. We get early entry to a park today. However while 4 of us will have regular tickets, on of us has a Power Pass subject to blackouts from early entry. Can that person still get in the parks early because they are staying onsite? It isn't a total park day blackout...just early entry.

Thanks!
I'm not real familiar with the new passes and rules but...EE will be permitted with the room key.

Do you see the crazy wait times at Universal that you do at WDW?

I can't seem to find a list of rides that the express pass is good for, it's very expensive and I'm guessing we all need to purchase it for our ticket.

You can't use EP on Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, Olivanders, Kang and Kodo's and Pteranodon Flyers.

Everything else you can use EP........

I can't seem to find a list of rides that the express pass is good for, it's very expensive and I'm guessing we all need to purchase it for our ticket.
We were just there on Wednesday and every ride was 10 min or less, we rode HP rides 4-5 times each so I think a lot depends on when you go.

We are going just for the day on 12/10 to finish up a week in Orlando. We mostly want to see the Harry Potter stuff and don't care much about riding coasters. We will be taking our son who is 17 months. Is it doable to get the park to park pass and see most of not all of the Harry Potter stuff? As far as non coaster rides, would the baby be allowed on anything? The train ride maybe? Where should we start when we get to the park? We will be staying at a Disney resort but we will have our own transportation to Universal and plan on being their early in the morning.

Yes, you can see all of both HP sections in one day, even if it is busy. The baby will be allowed on the train, in the Ollivander wand shop for the wand choosing ceremony, can watch any stage shows, can go to any meet-n-greets, and can go through the tour only portion of FJ. For everything else, you will need to either use single rider line or child swap.

I'd start in US and head all the way back to Diagon Alley first. Ride Gringotts either single rider (since you will have to ride alone anyway) or use child swap if you can get there early enough that the standby line isn't crazy.

Some other things you may want to do in DA is to go in the robe shop and try on outfits for fun picture ops, check out Knocturn Alley, visit the sweet shop, visit the animal shop, and get a wand so you can do spells. Also, be careful of the dragon who shoots real fire; don't want to scare the little one.

Then, I'd take the train over to IOA and do Hogsmeade. You can all do the tour only option of the castle as a family without even needing a locker or anything. Then you can do single rider or child swap for the FJ ride depending on crowd. You can send mail by owl post if you bring a letter and stamp at the owlery. You can then have lunch in the 3 Broomsticks.

There are also stage shows in both parks you may want to see.

If you have time left over, I'd check out the play areas in both parks for toddlers. They are really cute and very nice. One of them has a neat ball pit.

Yes and no. You do see long wait times when the crowds are at their worst. These can range from 30minutes to 2 hrs or more depending on the popularity of the ride. Most popular rides fall in the 1.5 hr to 2 hr range. Gringotts can be higher. You don't see the ridiculous 3, 4, 5, 6 hr waits Disney can have, like when people were camping out at Disney to meet Anna and Elsa or when Seven Drawrfs first opened. Also, mornings seem much better at Universal than at Disney. Crowds feel much lighter for popular rides. I've been able to ride a number of popular rides with no to minimal waits early morning at universal even during the busiest times when these same rides had long lines by lunch. At Disney, those long lines seem to build much faster within a few minutes of park opening.

If you are interested do a google search for universal crowd calendar. There's a really good free one out there that gives you estimated wait times per ride for any day of the year. It rates every day by one of 4 crowd levels, and then links to a chart that lists each attraction with the wait time listed for each crowd level. They won't let me post the link here, sorry. It isn't put out by UT or TP. I'm not sure how theirs compare.

planning our august 2017 family trip to WDW ...
since 2 of our group of 8 are HP fans, we're planning on taking one day out of our disney trip to visit both sides of HP world.

as i said, we're a group of 8 (grandma,grandpa, DS, DDIL, 3 year old, 2 year old, DD, DSIL)..
DD and DSIL aren't interested in HP at all, so they're planning on spending the day at volcano bay (assuming it's open in august 2017)

for the 6 of us (including those two toddlers), i'm taking a room at RPR just so that we'll have early entry and FOTL...
we won't actually sleep there - i'll go by myself the evening before to check in, get the tickets etc and then head back to disney for the night
early in the morning, we'll pile into the mini-van and drive over to universal

i only just found out from this thread that they alternate which HP has early entry - so now i have to find out if i picked the wrong night..
is there a way to find out which day will have early entry in US? (for gringotts)..

i figure we'll do diagon alley first, then hop on the train, then do FJ (which DS and DDIL did 5 years ago).....
i can't do FJ....not sure if i can do gringotts or not (i have terrible motion sickness)..

in any case, i don't think the two toddlers can do much of anything in either of the parks..

so once we finish with harry, we'll probably just leave and head over to volcano bay (assuming it's open)..

hmmm....now that i think about it...
maybe the better plan is to let DS and DDIL go into US/IOA on their own...
that way i don't have to pay for tickets for DH and myself...
and we'll take the kidlets to volcano bay together with DD and DSIL...

yes, that makes a lot more sense....the only thing that the kidlets can ride is the train...and they'll have plenty of train at WDW...
so no need to spend all that money on more tickets...

right...makes sense..

so now i just have to figure out when the US side has the early opening...

I was not aware you could check in the day before your reservation at the hotel

Those on your ressie would need to create the ep photo card once they have the hotel room key card

peeps usually do their ep card once they get the room key
Kiosk is in the hotel lobby for that

Wait.... Reread your post and your plans changed

I was not aware you could check in the day before your reservation at the hotel

Those on your ressie would need to create the ep photo card once they have the hotel room key card

peeps usually do their ep card once they get the room key
Kiosk is in the hotel lobby for that

Wait.... Reread your post and your plans changed

it's not the day before my reservation, it's the day of my reservation...
i'll check in, but we won't sleep there....
there is no requirement to actually sleep in a room, just pay for it..
and in the morning, we'll drive from WDW to universal, go to HP.....and then at about 11, i'll check us out of the room...
it's just getting the room to get early entry....
sounds expensive i suppose, but we'll be there the first week of august, when there will be crowds..
we did the same thing the last time we 'did' universal...
only that time we slept there...
this time we won't..

so i see from your post that there's now a photo card....
that's new...they didn't have that when we were there last..

so i guess we'll have to get there early enough to get those cards..

interesting..

i'll have to think this through a bit more..

so maybe i'll take DS and DDIL with me at night to check in and get those photo cards (letting the rest of the group babysit for the kidlets)..

I read of many doing a throw away room

Nothing wrong with that as many times it comes out cheaper in the long run

You have your picture taken to create your EP when you check in......

Yes, you have to book a room for Early Entry......not something you can purchase separately.

You have your picture taken to create your EP when you check in......

Yes, you have to book a room for Early Entry......not something you can purchase separately.

thanks!
so EP is express pass - what they used to call FOTL? (i think they used to call it that - i'm pretty much clueless when it comes to universal)

can EP be used on any of the HP rides; or only on everything else?

is there a website where they give the dates that each park will be open for early entry?

thanks!
so EP is express pass - what they used to call FOTL? (i think they used to call it that - i'm pretty much clueless when it comes to universal)

can EP be used on any of the HP rides; or only on everything else?

is there a website where they give the dates that each park will be open for early entry?

Here is the early entry calendar. The dates for August may not be out until May or June. (As of now they are only available through January)
https://www.universalorlando.com/Resort-Information/Early-Park-Admission.aspx

If you are truly only doing HP, then express pass will not do anything for you. Might as well book a cheaper room at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls for the early entry. You only need to show your room key card for early entry.

Here is the early entry calendar. The dates for August may not be out until May or June. (As of now they are only available through January)
https://www.universalorlando.com/Resort-Information/Early-Park-Admission.aspx

If you are truly only doing HP, then express pass will not do anything for you. Might as well book a cheaper room at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls for the early entry. You only need to show your room key card for early entry.

i thought that cabana bay and sapphire falls don't get early entry

i have to go check that again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter