Harry Potter- Wizarding World FAQ

Be sure to check out www.universalorlando.com to see the layout in the park, locations and descriptions of the rides/eateries and shops

This will guide you if you run into crowds in the park

Pick up the guide map when you go through the ticket turn stile at the front of the park

No one prepared me for the 200 people in Diagon Alley staring at the dragon with their phones up...all the time. Just standing there, waiting for the dragon to blow. I wish I would have taken a photo of that!

No one prepared me for the 200 people in Diagon Alley staring at the dragon with their phones up...all the time. Just standing there, waiting for the dragon to blow. I wish I would have taken a photo of that!
Isn't that crazy? I enjoyed watching the dragon with my eyes. If I need a photo there are plenty on the 'net.

Why is it crazy to want your own picture of something as a memento of your trip? For some people that trip may be a long awaited one off trip and would like to have personal pictures to show family who may never get to see it.

I'm sure those people also watched it with their own eyes too. I certainly did.

I have taken thousands of pictures of trips around the world.........there are thousands of pictures online of the Eiffel Tower for example. The ones I have are special to me and hold moments in time captured forever.......of our special moments. I wouldn't call that crazy. Same with New York and anywhere in the world you care to mention.

I'm glad you don't need to take pictures as mementos.......but some of us, and there are many on this site alone, actually like to do that and I certainly wouldn't call myself and most other folk crazy for wanting pictures of our much loved vacation.

Last edited:

Why is it crazy to want your own picture of something as a memento of your trip? For some people that trip may be a long awaited one off trip and would like to have personal pictures to show family who may never get to see it.

I'm sure those people also watched it with their own eyes too. I certainly did.

I have taken thousands of pictures of trips around the world.........there are thousands of pictures online of the Eiffel Tower for example. The ones I have are special to me and hold moments in time captured forever.......of our special moments. I wouldn't call that crazy. Same with New York and anywhere in the world you care to mention.

I'm glad you don't need to take pictures as mementos.......but some of us, and there are many on this site alone, actually like to do that and I certainly wouldn't call myself and most other folk crazy for wanting pictures of our much loved vacation.
People stand shoulder to shoulder, blocking the entire path, holding up their phones and tablets for 10-15 minutes waiting for it. I call that crazy. Sorry.

Oh so it was the crowd that bothered you?

You said in your earlier post you couldn't understand the need for taking the pictures in the first place as there were plenty on the net.

For the record I never saw anyone stand for 10-15 minutes with tablets and phones in the air........maybe when the rumbling started people would prepare to take a picture as they knew the fire was about to come out.......

Have to say I never had any issues passing people there.......there were many people like yourself standing around in different places and watching without taking pictures..........

I'm never in that much of a rush so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

Oh so it was the crowd that bothered you?

You said in your earlier post you couldn't understand the need for taking the pictures in the first place as there were plenty on the net.

For the record I never saw anyone stand for 10-15 minutes with tablets and phones in the air........maybe when the rumbling started people would prepare to take a picture as they knew the fire was about to come out.......

Have to say I never had any issues passing people there.......there were many people like yourself standing around in different places and watching without taking pictures..........

I'm never in that much of a rush so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.
I'm never in a hurry, but I do like to be able to get where I'm going. I think part of it was the crowd was mostly the Tour Groups. And yes, they literally would stand for 10 minutes with their tablets raised, many blocking entrances and turning a deaf ear towards English speakers. Maybe they didn't know about the warning rumbles? Like SA mom said, I wish I'd gotten a picture of all the people staring vacantly at their little screens!

Well, i do have some sympathy for them if they didn't understand there's a 15 minute wait for the fire, but I still wouldn't call it crazy. Have to say I've never seen that kind of crowd standing where the walkway is totally blocked.

I still say I would rather have a personal picture of something I came on vacation to see than the millions of impersonal net pictures though......... I remember standing with hordes of people holding a oldish video camera up to catch Concorde do its fly past.......Didn't really care if I looked silly I suppose :thumbsup2

Different stokes though..........

I know tour groups from South America are Hugh at the darkside during January and July

Ran into them once

I know tour groups from South America are Hugh at the darkside during January and July

Ran into them once
Last January was when we were there. Universal, Seaworld and Discovery Cove. Spent a lot of time in crowds where we were the only ones speaking English!

I am looking to get tickets to go to the Harry Potter world (to see whatever Harry Potter stuff they have) I have never been to Universal, and have never bought tickets. For 2 adults for a 1 day trip what would be the best way to go about getting tickets (and not getting scammed)? Should I just buy the Park to Park for both of us?

I have looked at this thread a few times, but my inexperience is making me over think it I guess.

I am looking to get tickets to go to the Harry Potter world (to see whatever Harry Potter stuff they have) I have never been to Universal, and have never bought tickets. For 2 adults for a 1 day trip what would be the best way to go about getting tickets (and not getting scammed)? Should I just buy the Park to Park for both of us?

I have looked at this thread a few times, but my inexperience is making me over think it I guess.

You need Park to Park if you want to ride the Hogwarts express and see both HP areas in one day. I have bought tickets through Universal and through my work's discount site.

You need Park to Park if you want to ride the Hogwarts express and see both HP areas in one day. I have bought tickets through Universal and through my work's discount site.
Is is "smart"/worthwhile to get the Universal Express Pass or any of the dining deals?

You might want to do a search or post this on the main Universal forum...it will be seen more than here in the Harry Potter post.

Quick run down...it CAN be cheaper to do a meal deal, if you order the "right things" (pricier options.) If so, you can buy into the meal deal when ordering those things.

We wouldn't go w/o Express Passes, but others are fine without them. We stay in the RP hotel, so Express Passes are included.

Is is "smart"/worthwhile to get the Universal Express Pass or any of the dining deals?
i would ask this as a new question in the forum.
this thread is a sticky for FAQ for potter and doesn't get many hits as a stand alone thread would.

i would ask this as a new question in the forum.
this thread is a sticky for FAQ for potter and doesn't get many hits as a stand alone thread would.
I think I got the answer already if I have more questions I will do it for sure :)

You might want to do a search or post this on the main Universal forum...it will be seen more than here in the Harry Potter post.

Quick run down...it CAN be cheaper to do a meal deal, if you order the "right things" (pricier options.) If so, you can buy into the meal deal when ordering those things.

We wouldn't go w/o Express Passes, but others are fine without them. We stay in the RP hotel, so Express Passes are included.
Thanks. That is what I needed to know. :) I appreciate everyone's help in this

Well, i do have some sympathy for them if they didn't understand there's a 15 minute wait for the fire, but I still wouldn't call it crazy. Have to say I've never seen that kind of crowd standing where the walkway is totally blocked.

Here's a bit crazy... I was in that area recently. We could see the dragon, but we were way off to the side of it. We were over by Scribulus, but out of the way, not blocking anything.

We were standing still; surrounded by free space! A man walks up and whacks me with his arm to pose for a picture (not-flaming dragon in the background). Ouch! His camera wielding companion ALSO body checked a passing child!

It was stunningly rude and odd! The dragon wasn't even flaming!

A picture of the HP dragon is kind of like a picture of Cindy's castle. I get the idea of taking a picture, but blocking the area for an extended time befuddles me, especially when it is a high crowd day.

IMO, high crowd weeks require a certain level of compromise in theme parks. We try to respect our fellow travelers as much as possible. Theme parks are only fun when folks get where they need to be. I always try to be mindful of that.

I also think standard vacation photos are clichés: Family in front of monument/mountain. Family sitting around big table. Not very original.The photos I enjoy are the ones that are completely creative, original, and showcase an unusual location.

Here's a bit crazy... I was in that area recently. We could see the dragon, but we were way off to the side of it. We were over by Scribulus, but out of the way, not blocking anything.

We were standing still; surrounded by free space! A man walks up and whacks me with his arm to pose for a picture (not-flaming dragon in the background). Ouch! His camera wielding companion ALSO body checked a passing child!

It was stunningly rude and odd! The dragon wasn't even flaming!

A picture of the HP dragon is kind of like a picture of Cindy's castle. I get the idea of taking a picture, but blocking the area for an extended time befuddles me, especially when it is a high crowd day.

IMO, high crowd weeks require a certain level of compromise in theme parks. We try to respect our fellow travelers as much as possible. Theme parks are only fun when folks get where they need to be. I always try to be mindful of that.

I also think standard vacation photos are clichés: Family in front of monument/mountain. Family sitting around big table. Not very original.The photos I enjoy are the ones that are completely creative, original, and showcase an unusual location.

Well I guess I am one huge big massive cliche and will continue to be one........in fact I will embrace it. I'm always respectful of others and find most folk are the same........except for the night we left Magic Kingdom for the last time years ago........now that was rudeness and lack of consideration for others in heaps!! So yes, you'll always get "crazy" people everywhere.......have you ever been to Dubai or The Pyramids.......plenty of crazy there too.......but I tend to give people a bit of leeway......

Yes original creative pictures are wonderful........I have plenty of those too from around the world........but pictures of friends and family around dinner tables or in special places are priceless to me.......cliche or not........

It amuses me folks get so judgemental of other people's pictures..........don't see why pics have to be original.........to me they are special moments in time........

Of course, each to their own..........but for me I'll carry on taking pictures that mean something to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter