• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Harry Potter the Forbidden Journey Question

Theodore Hawkwood

Earning My Ears
Question for all the Harry Potter fans on this board. In terms of setting after or during what book do you think that Forbidden Journey was set in? I would guess that it was around the time of Goblet of Fire and definitely before Half Blood Prince due to the fact that Dumbledore is still alive.

Any ideas? Just curious for a future fanfic that will feature elements from WWoHP in it.

Question for all the Harry Potter fans on this board. In terms of setting after or during what book do you think that Forbidden Journey was set in? I would guess that it was around the time of Goblet of Fire and definitely before Half Blood Prince due to the fact that Dumbledore is still alive.

Any ideas? Just curious for a future fanfic that will feature elements from WWoHP in it.

Somewhere between Goblet and Order, I believe. There's a dragon about--among other things--so that puts it after 4, but I don't recall any elements specific to 5 or later. It's really just a compilation of crucial elements from the first 4 films.

The entire Wizarding World is set during the 4th book, in the middle of the triwizard tournament. This includes Forbidden Journey! There are bits of the 5th book (wanted poster for Serius), but overwhelming ties are connected to Goblet of Fire.

Did a quick search - the area was announced in May 07, two months before Order was released. Which means the majority of the planning was done following Goblet, hence the reason the park is set in that time frame.

The entire Wizarding World is set during the 4th book, in the middle of the triwizard tournament. This includes Forbidden Journey! There are bits of the 5th book (wanted poster for Serius), but overwhelming ties are connected to Goblet of Fire.

I think you may have meant 3rd -- The Prisoner of Azkaban.

Actually Aragog, in FJ first appeared in book 2 Chamber, as did the Weasley's flying car and the Whomping Willow (which was also in Book 3). I believe the scene where you fly under the bleachers is from the scene in Book2 where Draco was named seeker after his father bought the brooms for the Slytherin team?
The Dementors and Buckbeak first appeared in Book 3 Prisoner. Hogsmeade (Honeyduke's and Zonko's, Three Broomsticks)was also in Book 2 and of course Dervish and Banges, and Ollivander's were in Book 1 and so on.

It really is a compilation of all of the books/movies 1-4. Trying to recall anything from book/movie 5. With the only scene from 6 being when Ron makes it snow.

Yes I realize it, I know FAR too much about Harry Potter!:lmao:

It really is a compilation of all of the books/movies 1-4. Trying to recall anything from book/movie 5. With the only scene from 6 being when Ron makes it snow.

Yes I realize it, I know FAR too much about Harry Potter!

Nothing wrong with that. I figured it was books/movies 1-4 possibly with elements of 5 and 6 thrown in for good measure.

Thank you all for the insights you've all provided on this thread. It's given me great insight as to my future fanfic...

Did a quick search - the area was announced in May 07, two months before Order was released. Which means the majority of the planning was done following Goblet, hence the reason the park is set in that time frame.
You must be referring to the movies. Deathly Hallows (book) was released in July 2007, so they were able to draw inspiration from ALL the books.

The best thing to do is not look too deeply into it and just enjoy the experience.

You must be referring to the movies. Deathly Hallows (book) was released in July 2007, so they were able to draw inspiration from ALL the books.

The best thing to do is not look too deeply into it and just enjoy the experience.

I did enjoy the experience when I rode Forbidden Journey and in fact the whole WWoHP attraction when I visited IOA during the Christmas Holidays. It in fact launched my interest in the entire series and inspired a fanfiction saga I'm working on - which is why I started this thread to begin with.

One other thing to consider is that the kids in the attraction are older than they were in book 4, or even 5. In that sense, one can't pick a fixed time within the septology timeline and pin the attraction there.

DW and I saw this thread and now you had us thinking. From what we can remember, the ride itself seems to have a little bit of everything from books/movies 1-4. We really can't remember anything from 5 or 6 on the ride. And that's we went on the ride 2 times, back to back.

Book 1. Just the fact that you're flying on a broom.
Book 2. The spiders, the quiddich match and whomping willow.
Book 3. The dementors
Book 4. The dragon

If I ever get back, I'll have to pay attention more to the ride itself.

Question for all the Harry Potter fans on this board. In terms of setting after or during what book do you think that Forbidden Journey was set in? I would guess that it was around the time of Goblet of Fire and definitely before Half Blood Prince due to the fact that Dumbledore is still alive.Any ideas? Just curious for a future fanfic that will feature elements from WWoHP in it.

AHHHHH NOOOOOOO! DD8 and I are on Book 3. I guess it serves me right for reading abou the ride.

I really think it was a great idea to set it around Goblet of Fire, I think that was one of the better, if not best of the movies, (sorry haven't read all the books yet) and it has a lot of cool things going on, the challenge, the dragons etc.

I really think it was a great idea to set it around Goblet of Fire, I think that was one of the better, if not best of the movies, (sorry haven't read all the books yet) and it has a lot of cool things going on, the challenge, the dragons etc.

I agree that setting it around books 3-4 was the best time frame to choose from. While those two books still have dark, evil elements they do showcase more of the fun, happy side of the wizarding world. Once you get into book 5things take a much darker, scarier turn that would probably not be the best setting theme park wise. From OotP onwards the wizarding world is pretty much in the middle of a war that includes death, dispair, fear and darkness that probably wouldn't make the kiddos strolling through Hogsmeade want to let go of mommy's hand.

Although I think horcrux hunting might make for an interesting attraction.:lmao:

AHHHHH NOOOOOOO! DD8 and I are on Book 3. I guess it serves me right for reading abou the ride.

:hug::hug::hug:

FWIW, and this is coming from experience...when you are a late reader or viewer of something, it becomes harder and harder to protect yourself from that sort of thing. We started to read book 7 (I read aloud to hubby b/c he's a very very slow reader (and he likes my voice)) and then I got sick and couldn't talk, and then...we just didn't want to continue. It seemed that it was going to get awfully emotional, and we didn't want it to end. We waited *at least* a full year to start up again (and I think it was more like 2), and by then we had accidentally found out various things. You have to really put yourself in a bubble to not hear things. I did the same thing with the last episode of Friends, and it was pretty much impossible to not hear stuff.

So I'd just get used to accidentally hearing stuff....

(sometimes, for me, it becomes even more poignant, even better almost, to know what's going to happen...you know it happens but you don't know when or how, and it 'ups' the anticipation and enjoyment)

Same thing here. I'm only 2/3 of the way into Prisoner of Azkaban myself in terms of reading but I've seen all the movies up to Order of the Pheonix. So I've had massive spoilers since I got into the series in December of last year.

I'm looking forward to Part I of Deathly Hallows being put out on BluRay and the release of Part II in July.

I'm already doing research how to incorporate parts of the events of the last three books into events of the ride for my fanfic...

Same thing here. I'm only 2/3 of the way into Prisoner of Azkaban myself in terms of reading but I've seen all the movies up to Order of the Pheonix. So I've had massive spoilers since I got into the series in December of last year.

I'm looking forward to Part I of Deathly Hallows being put out on BluRay and the release of Part II in July.

I work with a guy who's always getting boot leg movies. He can get any movie as soon as it comes out. One night at work I was talking about going to Universal during my Dec trip to see Harry Potter World and mentioned that I really wanted to see Deathly Hallows before I left. Without mentioning anything, he surprised me with a copy of the movie a few nights later. I took it home, but didn't watch it for several days. I really wanted to go to the movies to see it. He's already said he'll get me a copy of Part 2 as soon as it comes out. Uh, no thanks! I'd rather watch in the theaters with everyone else.:rotfl: Besides even though I'm not a goody two shoes, I don't want to be involved with owning a boot leg movie.:rotfl: I guess I'm afraid the dementers might find out and carry me off to Azkaban.:rotfl::rotfl:

Personally I've decided that for purposes of my fanfiction that the setting of the Forbidden Journey is sometime after or during Goblet of Fire but before Order of the Phoenix judging from the elements seen in the ride. I will attempt to integrate elements from the other three books as well as other crossover features into my fic (the other six islands in Islands of Adventure and some other elements).

FWIW, and this is coming from experience...when you are a late reader or viewer of something, it becomes harder and harder to protect yourself from that sort of thing. We started to read book 7 (I read aloud to hubby b/c he's a very very slow reader (and he likes my voice)) and then I got sick and couldn't talk, and then...we just didn't want to continue. It seemed that it was going to get awfully emotional, and we didn't want it to end. We waited *at least* a full year to start up again (and I think it was more like 2), and by then we had accidentally found out various things. You have to really put yourself in a bubble to not hear things. I did the same thing with the last episode of Friends, and it was pretty much impossible to not hear stuff.

So I'd just get used to accidentally hearing stuff....

(sometimes, for me, it becomes even more poignant, even better almost, to know what's going to happen...you know it happens but you don't know when or how, and it 'ups' the anticipation and enjoyment)

I know...DD8 is now watching the Biography series that was just on TV (about the making of the movies). I warned her there would be spoilers, but she wanted to see them anyway. She now knows more about what's coming up than I do. However, we are still having a great time reading Azkaban! There are enough mysteries that not all of them have been spoiled yet. It's also good for her reading comprehension if she can piece together the spoilers she knows with what we are reading. She can see how the author develops different plot points and characters.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter