• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Harry Potter ride: Get fit or you won't fit

Just because Under 4 foot can ride doesn't necessarily make it a kiddie ride. After all Spiderman is a 40" requirement.

My point is that as the flagship ride of their new land they should have made choices to be more inclusive of people with varying size. Both tiny and plus sizes will want to ride this attraction.

Just because Under 4 foot can ride doesn't necessarily make it a kiddie ride. After all Spiderman is a 40" requirement.

My point is that as the flagship ride of their new land they should have made choices to be more inclusive of people with varying size. Both tiny and plus sizes will want to ride this attraction.

I don't disagree with you. In fact, I made the mistake of putting my then 3-year old on Spiderman because she was tall enough and I figured "How bad can it be?" She was terrified and will probably never ride it again. :headache:

Universal absolutely could have designed a more inclusive ride for different heights and sizes (without it being a Dumbo or carousel type ride), and it still could have been awesome. I know Sum of All Thrills at Epcot has a 48 inch height restriction and uses a variation of the same technology, so I think the decision was probably made for them (in part) when they decided to go with the Kuka arm.

I'm sure if the purchaser (Disney or Universal) made a request of the manufacturer, they could devise something that would accommodate larger sizes.

Maybe and maybe not. I would have to hear from a design engineer and imagine that the physics of the ride determine the restraint mechanism. Something as small as a change in approach angle for a turn could change the physics of a thrill ride by a large enough margin that what works on one coaster may no on another even if the rides are similar.

Without the specs and an engineering degree it is just speculation but I doubt they would exclude guests if it weren't a safety concern. I would make the educated guess that they had to make a trade off between size accessibility and the level of thrill and they didn't want to give away any more of the later for the former.

Let me get this straight...

According to the blog, there's a 'test car' that you can try out in front of the ride. After pulling the overhead restraint down, a green light says you can go and a red light says, basically, "sorry tubby, keep walkin' ".

:eek:

Gee, that wouldn't be the least bit humiliating, now would it ? In front of a nice crowd of people on a bright sunny day....

*sheesh*

I think I would rather realize at the test car that I couldn't fit into a ride instead of at the start of the ride in front of a crowd that I am holding up the line on. Realize that there are also some rides that do not allow anyone over 6'6" to ride

i was wondering and maybe this isn't the place to put it so sorry if it's not but I was wondering if there's a way people can walk through Hogwarts but not go on the ride *** there seems to be a few cool things to see inside but sounds like only people queuing for the ride will see it

i was wondering and maybe this isn't the place to put it so sorry if it's not but I was wondering if there's a way people can walk through Hogwarts but not go on the ride *** there seems to be a few cool things to see inside but sounds like only people queuing for the ride will see it

According to the blog post author linked in the first post, no.
I’m pretty sure that the size restrictions are related to operational limitations of the Kuka robotic arm that will carry the ‘Enchanted Bench’ ride vehicle. They probably could have built larger seats, but this is a good way to limit the combined weight of those onboard.

For those wondering, I did ask if there was an alternate viewing experience for those unable to fit on the ride vehicles. The answer was a bit disappointing. The queue is available to experience, but there is no possibility of seeing the rest of the show. I think Universal is doing a huge disservice to a large segment of their guests here. It would not take too much effort to create a smaller comfortable room with a HD screen and a recreation of the scenes and story that will be experienced in the normal attraction.

Hi it's me. The author of the post on The Disney Blog. Just wanted to clear up a few points.

The height requirement is 48 inches. I had to ask as numbers aren't painted on the measuring stick, just lines.

The 'practice seat' does have a red/green light. But it's very small and off to the side, so you won't be embarrassed when trying the seat out. Much better to find out at the beginning of the queue instead of the end when you're trying to get on the Enchanted Bench.

Everyone can go through the whole queue. I did not see the chicken exit, we didn't get to go that far. But the queue is wheelchair accessible, even if the ride isn't.

People compare the Sum of All Thrills with the ride system on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. But we know there is at least one difference, HPFJ has four seats while SoAT has just two. But we don't know the size, strength, or other requirements of the HPFJ ride vehicles. I'm sure Universal is following manufacturer spec for optimum safety (at least I hope so). What upsets me is the lack of an alternate viewing experience for the scenes in the actual ride part of the show. Disney has been adding those rooms recently (Nemo and Sleeping Beauty Castle at DL) and I thought it would be a natural fit for a big immersive experience like HPFJ. The cost is relatively small and the goodwill you build with those who don't meet the safety requirements is huge. Oh well, I never fail to disappoint myself when I expect Universal to step up to the plate. I am more than twice burned at this point.

Thanks for listening,

John

The 'practice seat' does have a red/green light. But it's very small and off to the side, so you won't be embarrassed when trying the seat out. Much better to find out at the beginning of the queue instead of the end when you're trying to get on the Enchanted Bench.

Ahh, I see...

Thanks for clearing that up for me, John. I'm imagining these giant red and green lights overhead, and when the red light goes off perhaps it's accompanied by large horn blasting and maybe a trap door underneath letting go and sending the guest back to the parking lot. :rotfl:

Ahh, I see...

Thanks for clearing that up for me, John. I'm imagining these giant red and green lights overhead, and when the red light goes off perhaps it's accompanied by large horn blasting and maybe a trap door underneath letting go and sending the guest back to the parking lot. :rotfl:

I think it'd be a perfect opportunity for Jenny Craig representatives to be on hand. :rotfl2:

Maybe have a video of Valerie Bertinelli saying "Sorry, you can't ride just yet ... but you can lose 30 lbs with me!" :banana:

I think it'd be a perfect opportunity for Jenny Craig representatives to be on hand. :rotfl2:

Maybe have a video of Valerie Bertinelli saying "Sorry, you can't ride just yet ... but you can lose 30 lbs with me!" :banana:

"Put down the fried Twinkies, churros, and bacon double cheeseburgers and step away from the ride vehicle..."

I saw how Disney is having problems with the boat rides because the average American weighs over 25 lbs more now than we did in the 60s/70s when many of those rides were designed and tehy just can't handle the extra weight. Many people have medical issues that cause weight gain, but the vast majority of us are just bad eaters and lazy and a few small changes would result in drastic weight loss very quickly. DW and I have each lost 15-20 lbs since January mostly just from eliminating bad foods, soda, as much processed foods as we can, etc. and doing more walking. We haven't even really started "working out" yet due to a medical issue under treatment that prevents it for now. It's been extremely easy. Perhaps instead of being angry that the laws of physics can't be altered to meed the needs of an ever fattening society we should use this as a reminder that our health is important and we should all do our part to make sure we are as healthy as we can each be within the realm of our own age and medical conditions.

In the meantime, an alternate viewing option would be great. And not just for large people, but also for those who have inner ear issues and can't handle all of the constant jerking and twisting and swooping without becoming so dizzy they can't walk for an hour afterwards even on Dramamine... :rolleyes1

I went to IOA opening year and those seats weren't there then, so it was probably Universals response to complaints. There gonna be lit up with complaints. Nice thing about Disney, the rides for the last 15 years have accommodated most shapes and sizes.

Yes...Dueling Dragons and Hulk are B & M coasters that have modified seats for larger people in rows 3 and 6 of each train. I don't know if Universal asked for this or if it's standard on B & M's coasters. A lot of time it's the manufacturer who sets the height requirements as well as available seating. If that's the case, Universal would have had to say yes or no to the ride based on the manufacturer's recommendations. I don't think you would expect Universal to say no just because larger people can't ride...which is still can not be confirmed at this point. Besides...I have heard modified seating is in the works and might be available by the end of the year. But again...this can not be confirmed. So basically...even though it's going into a Universal park I dont' think it's fair to say Universal doesn't care about larger guests since they might have been following the manufacturer's recommendations.

I believe the height requirement for The Forbidden Journey is 54".

I reported this weeks ago on the UNIVERSAL BOARD AND WAS TOLD TO LOSE WEIGHT IF I WANT TO RIDE.....NOT THE RESPONSE I WAS LOOKING FOR BUT A TRUE ONE NONETHELESS......UNIVERSAL JUST DOESNT GET IT...THIS WILL BITE THEM IN THE END

While it is very disappointing to not be able to ride, it isn't Universal's fault if someone is too big to ride.

Yeah, they could make rides that everyone could ride with seats big enough to hold even a 700 pound person. But that isn't what they do. They have rides that are designed so that most people can ride them. Some people will be too big and some will be too tall or too short.

The kids will grow and the fat can be lost, but the done-growing people who are too short or too tall will just be out of luck.

It is disappointing, but we have to play the cards we're dealt the best we can and deal with what comes our way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter