• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Harry Potter Crowd Report Thread...

If this question looks familiar, yes, it is because I have asked it before (and I know this is also a commonly asked question on this board), but I wanted to see if I would get more advice posting it on this thread......

Okay, we will be staying at HRH on Sunday, June 5. We will be leaving Epcot sometime early afternoon to head over to check into HRH and hit Universal on that day. The next day, we will need to leave around 4 or 5 pm for the LONG drive home. This will be our first time at Universal. Basically we have two three-quarter days.

My original thinking was to go to US on the first day (a Sunday) and then have dinner at Hard Rock Cafe. Then the next day (A MONDAY!!!), to go to IOA, so we could go to WWOHP when it opens. A quick breakfast somewhere (perhaps Cinnabon) and lunch at Three Broomsticks.

But then seeing the pictures of WWOHP at night and hearing that it clears out at night makes me think that we should go to IOA on our first day and then go to US on the second day. I was thinking whichever day, we would probably want to spend a couple of hours at WWOHP. If we waited until it cleared out at night on Sunday, would we have a couple of hours there----or is it that it clears out 30 minutes before closing time?

I did want to have breakfast at Cinnabon, so if we switch our plans around that will mess up having breakfast at Cinnabon. Our must-sees are WWOHP (especially FJ), Spiderman, the Mummy, MIB, ET, the Simpsons, and Suessland.

Plus from what I have learned on this thread, it sounds kind of better to go to IOA on a Sunday and then go to US on Monday. Neither day will be a full day.

Thanks!

Hey! I was wondering if i should be worried about crowds in the beginning of december? i know disney will be having pop warner, are those crowds going to migrate to IOA/US. Im wondering if we should add extra nights at our disney hotel or book at universal to take advantage of early entry?

If this question looks familiar, yes, it is because I have asked it before (and I know this is also a commonly asked question on this board), but I wanted to see if I would get more advice posting it on this thread......

I don't think you got an answer since both Sunday and Monday are about the same, crowd-wise. So either plan will work.

A quick breakfast somewhere (perhaps Cinnabon) and lunch at Three Broomsticks.

I did want to have breakfast at Cinnabon, so if we switch our plans around that will mess up having breakfast at Cinnabon.

There is also a a Cinnabon in Citywalk so you can eat there for breakfast whether you go to IoA or Universal. You pass Cinnabon no matter which park you are going to.

Plus from what I have learned on this thread, it sounds kind of better to go to IOA on a Sunday and then go to US on Monday. Neither day will be a full day.

Thanks!

Both Monday and Sunday will be basically the same. Personally I think Mondays are less crowded at IoA than Sundays. And Sundays are less crowded at Universal than Monday but, honestly, that is just an observation and may not always hold true. So if I were to choose, I'd do Universal on Sunday and IoA on Monday.

I don't think you got an answer since both Sunday and Monday are about the same, crowd-wise. So either plan will work.

There is also a a Cinnabon in Citywalk so you can eat there for breakfast whether you go to IoA or Universal. You pass Cinnabon no matter which park you are going to.

Both Monday and Sunday will be basically the same. Personally I think Mondays are less crowded at IoA than Sundays. And Sundays are less crowded at Universal than Monday but, honestly, that is just an observation and may not always hold true. So if I were to choose, I'd do Universal on Sunday and IoA on Monday.

I disagree. There is post after post on these boards about how Sundays seem light and Mondays seem crazy. I have also personally noticed light crowds on Sundays. This is in some ways anecdotal and a matter of perception, but I definitely don't think these two days are similar with respect to crowds.

During non-peak seasons, Sundays always seem really dead at Universal but the weekends always seem to be a little busy at IOA since it seems to attract the locals. This has been my experience during the off seasons.

During peak season (such as Spring Break, summer crowds, and Christmas), then Sundays are usually slow at both parks since Sundays are usually when vacationers are traveling home. During peak times, most locals don't go to the parks much so Sundays are dead at both parks during peak seasons.

During non-peak season, I find Mondays just as slow if not more so than Sundays. If Texas Erin was going the end of June (which is a peak time), my advice would have been different.

But honestly, it is mostly a crap shoot in predicting crowds. Much depends on weather, park hours, special events like Mardi Gras, Grad Bash, school field trips, etc. The best predictor is to check the prices of express passes on the days you are going.

I disagree. There is post after post on these boards about how Sundays seem light and Mondays seem crazy. I have also personally noticed light crowds on Sundays. This is in some ways anecdotal and a matter of perception, but I definitely don't think these two days are similar with respect to crowds.
I wonder how much longer this will hold true though. We are getting ready for the busy summer season and I doubt any day will be light...especially a weekend day. Last summer, IOA was busy seven days a week but weekends are usually heavier since lots of locals can only go on a weekend...like me. ;)

You two may very well be right. I will be curious to see how summer season will affect this Sunday/Monday thing. :goodvibes

Now that makes me wish I had gotten the park hopper option. I booked my hotel and tix through Dreams Unlimited. If we get there and decide that we would like to go to both parks on the same day, can I upgrade my tickets so that we can go to both parks on the same day? Is it super expensive (it's me, DH, DD-14, and DS-8)? If that's an option, where would we do it?

Okay, nevermind. Found my answer. It looks like maybe $80 plus tax, total for the four of us, so that's not too bad. I think we'll stick with the original plan of going to US on Sunday and then if we get done early enough (we'll have Express since we're staying at HRH), we'll head over to IOA to see WWOHP at night. Then Monday we'll be there for early entry to IOA.

Thanks for all the advice I have received on these boards! Looking forward to our first time at Universal!

The best predictor is to check the prices of express passes on the days you are going.

This (re: predicting crowds).

The folks who set these prices are paid to study and understand predicted crowd flow and maximize revenue yield accordingly.

We are going again this July. We can go to Universal either Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. We are going 3 days (1 day at US & IOA and one combination day of IOA first/then US the second half of the day). What are the best days of the week now? Our plans will be to get there a little early before park opening (staying at Disney - not at Universal), seeing if we can get a reservation time to enter Harry Potter World and do most of the park prior to going into HP as we did last summer.

Any other tips?

This (re: predicting crowds).

The folks who set these prices are paid to study and understand predicted crowd flow and maximize revenue yield accordingly.

We will be at US/IOA Oct 23-27 - which should be a off peak time right? If so then is it necessary to purchase EP? With four of us going over and three day passes it seems pretty expensive if the parks aren't busy. So my question is - if you were going at this time would you get EPs? Just trying to decide....if I wait until I see what the prices are then I should have bought them now, but if we really won't need them and just need a little patience then that's fine....DH thinks 10-15 minutes is a reasonable wait period (which is why we only go off season) and we will have two kids with us (6 and 8). We won't be going on the extreme rides like Hulk or Dragons or Doom. I look forward to seeing what you all think...thanks!!!

We will be at US/IOA Oct 23-27 - which should be a off peak time right? If so then is it necessary to purchase EP? With four of us going over and three day passes it seems pretty expensive if the parks aren't busy. So my question is - if you were going at this time would you get EPs? Just trying to decide....if I wait until I see what the prices are then I should have bought them now, but if we really won't need them and just need a little patience then that's fine....DH thinks 10-15 minutes is a reasonable wait period (which is why we only go off season) and we will have two kids with us (6 and 8). We won't be going on the extreme rides like Hulk or Dragons or Doom. I look forward to seeing what you all think...thanks!!!

I doubt you'll need them. You could always wait until you get there, see if the lines are too long for you, then decide. You never know when a passing shower might clear the parks out for you--for free. ;)

Now that makes me wish I had gotten the park hopper option. I booked my hotel and tix through Dreams Unlimited. If we get there and decide that we would like to go to both parks on the same day, can I upgrade my tickets so that we can go to both parks on the same day? Is it super expensive (it's me, DH, DD-14, and DS-8)? If that's an option, where would we do it?

Okay, nevermind. Found my answer. It looks like maybe $80 plus tax, total for the four of us, so that's not too bad. I think we'll stick with the original plan of going to US on Sunday and then if we get done early enough (we'll have Express since we're staying at HRH), we'll head over to IOA to see WWOHP at night. Then Monday we'll be there for early entry to IOA.

Thanks for all the advice I have received on these boards! Looking forward to our first time at Universal!

if you want to upgrade, go to guest services.
you can do this anytime you are in the park.

why don't you wait and do one park then decide if you want to switch that same day to the other side.

don't spend the money in advance unless it is necessary.

Oct 23rd is a Sunday.
the studios side will close at 5 due to hhn that night.
not sure what time IOA will close, but it will be later than 5:00.

when the hhn event is announced, you will be able to look up the operating hours for the parks.

wed, thur at the studios will also close at 5:00 as there will be HHN happening there those evenings.

HHN happens the last weekend of Sept and all of October.
the hotels fill up quickly due to that event.
(Wed-Sun on various dates.)

Some weekdays should be fine for you to go to the parks. (24-25)
any day that HHN will occur, the studios side usually gets crowded around 3:00.
that park closes at 5:00 and many will come to the park earlier to catch a few rides and get to the stay and scream waiting area.
At 5:00, security is ushering people that do not have the hhn ticket out of the park.

You should be good for Monday and Tuesday in avoiding crowds.
for the other days, buying the epp might be a good thing for your family.
but, do wait until you check out the line waits to see if it is really needed.

hi all
we are travelling to orlando from UK 26th august for 2 weeks, am i right in thinking american children will be back at school then, if so can i expect crowds to be a bit better at IOA
from what i have read here sunday seems to be best but my 2nd sunday there will be day before labor day so i expect it to be busy as i have been before when it was labor day and went to animal kingdom and it was mayhem but after everywhere was empty, any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

hi all
we are travelling to orlando from UK 26th august for 2 weeks, am i right in thinking american children will be back at school then, if so can i expect crowds to be a bit better at IOA
from what i have read here sunday seems to be best but my 2nd sunday there will be day before labor day so i expect it to be busy as i have been before when it was labor day and went to animal kingdom and it was mayhem but after everywhere was empty, any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

hi all

Yes, most US schools will be back in session by then and crowds should die down a bit. As for Labor Day, I'm surprised to hear you say you experienced crazy crowds before. Most reports are that Labor Day has minimal impact on crowds, which is why I am planning to be at Universal myself that weekend.

For WWOHP, would you expect a difference in crowd level between the week of May 15 (specifically Thursday or Friday) and the first week of December?
I'm trying to talk myself into a quick trip this month (I'm in the area for a conference) or just wait until my scheduled vacation in December.

Hoping to avoid very crowded. Thanks for any input.

wdwcindy

Yes, most US schools will be back in session by then and crowds should die down a bit. As for Labor Day, I'm surprised to hear you say you experienced crazy crowds before. Most reports are that Labor Day has minimal impact on crowds, which is why I am planning to be at Universal myself that weekend.

thanks, we havebeen to animal kingdom a few times and crowds always managable but the time we went on labor day it was shoulder to shoulder in most places, worst i had seen, maybe a coincidence

thanks, we havebeen to animal kingdom a few times and crowds always managable but the time we went on labor day it was shoulder to shoulder in most places, worst i had seen, maybe a coincidence

Here in Canada our kids dont go back until the day after Labour Day so many people plan to go up and until Labour Day because the US kids are back to school- just an fyi

Here in Canada our kids dont go back until the day after Labour Day so many people plan to go up and until Labour Day because the US kids are back to school- just an fyi

Most northern US states also don't go back to school until after Labor Day, which is why we go to Florida the end of August/beginning of Sept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter