Harry Potter Crowd Report Thread...

Was there Easte Sunday. Got there at 8am (not express pass) and did NOT go to Harry Potter - instead did everything else in IOA and Universal before leaving at 1pm for Mass. Came back at 7:30 just to do HP -- no wait at that time for FOH or DD - FJ said 45 mins but we walked through the castle and were on the ride in 17. Drank frozen butterbeer and went in shops and still had time to do JP and Spiderman on the way out before 10pm closing. :)

Spoke to a man from England at the pool and last Tuesday they went to IOA ... got to the Harry Potter section right at 7 am and it was already full. Their party went on the rides in the other section of both parks with walk ons to everything, no lines, no waiting. Got finished and then went back to Harry Potter in the evening and got right in.

This was more or less our experience, as well. We were there last T-W-Th April 19, 20 and 21.

Given the expanded park hours for the peak of spring break season, we knew we were in for large crowds. We showed up around 6:50am or so each morning. That was "late" for the early entry crowd, so we missed the front end of the rope drop. By the time we entered WWoHP, there was about a 30 minute wait for Ollivanders and perhaps 45 minutes for FJ. By 8:30am, WWoHP was PACKED with people elbow-to-elbow, and that's not our cup of tea. We left WWoHP and walked on just about every other attraction in IOA with the on-site FOTL privilege.

Since IOA was open until 11:00pm, my son (12) and I headed back to WWoHP at around 9:30pm on Tuesday evening, just to see what the crowds were like. To our surprise, while there were still plenty of people around, it was FAR more manageable than when we had left WWoHP at 8:30am that morning. The posted wait time for FJ was 30 minutes, but we rode several times each using the single-rider queue with virtually no wait. Did the same Wed evening, as well.

By Thursday morning, we had already experienced all of the attractions, so we took our time, took photos, shopped in Zonkos/Honeydukes, etc. It was nice not to feel so rushed, as those around us looked as if they were jockeying for position in a 1500m race.

All in all, THANKS TO POSTERS IN THIS FORUM, we had a fun experience in WWoHP, despite the peak operating week and resulting masses. The best advice we took away from this forum and applied during our visit:

• The single rider line at FJ is your friend
  • I cannot fathom experiencing WWoHP during a peak time (school holiday, summer, etc.) without the early-entry privilege. There were plenty of folks who showed up for the 8am rope drop that were subject to 1hr+ waits for FJ. Ollivanders, all of the other shops -- packed like sardines by that hour. If you can swing it financially, we found the extra cost of staying on site was well worth the early-entry to WWoHP privilege and FOTL just about everywhere else. Not to mention that the hotels are comfortable and (obviously) convenient.
  • If the park is open late, try heading back to WWoHP an hour or so before closing time. Perhaps we just got lucky, but we found WWoHP to be more manageable at that time. Plus, it's fun to see/experience at night.
  • Once you've experienced the attractions, take your time and look in the shop windows and in other nooks and crannies. You'll be glad you did.
  • If the line at the Butterbeer cart appears interminable, head over to the Hogs Head Saloon (connected to 3 Broomsticks). Much shorter wait for us, although still stood in line for 10 minutes or so.

Thanks so much for all the great HP tips and wait scoop! We'll be there soon. Anything going on that Friday or Wed? Trying to decide which day to do IoA and which day to do Studios. Would a Wed be better than a Friday to come to WWoHP?

Ok, so I've done WWHP already, in January. When I walk on to everything, never waited for Butterbeer, and could go in and out of shops as I pleased.

Now I am taking my cousins and I am a little afraid of what peak crowds will look like. Which days would you recommend?
We will be staying onsite, so we'll have expresspass and early entry.

Wed June 22 & Thurs 23
Fri 24th & Sat 25th
or
Sat 25th & Sun 26

The plan would be to arrive on the earliest flight, which gets us to the hotel around 10am, and head to Universal for most of they day (there isn't much we need to see there) and around 6/7pm head to WWHP. Then the next day spend in IOA with WWHP our first stop, and then again later in the evening.

My gut says to go Wed & Thursday, because the schools in the north are in session till Friday, which is the technical start of the summer holidays, but now I am reading Sundays are the slowest days at IOA.

Which would you suggest?

My gut says to go Wed & Thursday, because the schools in the north are in session till Friday, which is the technical start of the summer holidays, but now I am reading Sundays are the slowest days at IOA.

Which would you suggest?

I am a big proponent of Sundays, but that is usually in the context of a weekend stay. Sunday is almost always the best day on a weekend, which I define as Friday to Monday. Midweek is also a good time to go. Just stay away if at all possible from Friday, Saturday, or Monday.

Since you're talking late June though, be prepared for any of them to be fairly crowded.

Hi Everyone!

I'm visiting the parks the 22nd and 23rd (Sunday and Monday) of this month. Anything crowd wise I should be concerned about? From what I've seen here, it sounds like we should go to IOA on the Sunday and Uni on Monday?

I actually went about 12 days ago... Fun story... Went with my extended family of 11. We went to Uni first on a Thursday. Crowd was very slim, and this was during spring break. Easy access to all rides and attractions. The only line we had to wait in was at Richter's for lunch:laughing:

At about 8 we left the park having been on every ride. As we were going up the escalators in the parking garage I somehow slipped and banged my knee right into the stair. I also kind of caught the wall so i was stationary while it was still moving. I popped back up a bit embarrassed and continued up. My sister asked if I was ok and I thought I was, then she noticed blood running down. I was at the top of the parking garage already and there were no cast members to be found. I'll spare you the gruesome details, but I got a chance to go to the attraction in Orlando with the longest queue times - The ER. I was at the top of the parking garage already and there were no cast members to be found. The ride wasn't very fun when my turn came up, either. 13 stitches all the way across my knee.

Of course, I couldn't go to IOA the next day, which was basically the only reason I wanted to go in the first place. I've been to Uni several times, but IOA only once and that was well before HP. While sitting in the hotel the next day while the family was at IOA, I called customer care and filed a report about the incident. They were extremely helpful and were set to extend my ticket so I could come back to IOA when I healed up. A couple days later, a manager called me, apologized for not having any employees in the area and gave me a brand new 2 day 2 park pass to pick up at will-call. Exceptional! Especially because it was just an accident and no fault of theirs.

Just wanted to share that bit of excellent customer service!

-D.

I am heading to Orlando for a 10 day break in 6 weeks, I’m from Scotland where it constantly rains , and I have never been to the states before so I am sooooooooo EXCITED! :D :cool1::wizard:

Basically, I am planning to visit WWOHP on Sunday 12th June, firstly will the schools be out by then and also, what time would be best to visit, first thing in the morning, or later on, say 6pm? (If the latter what time is the park open to? And would we be able to fit in a few hours in the rest of Universal first, without it being totally packed?)

first and foremost - welcome to the US for the first time!

In answer to your question, the schools will generally be out. We celebrate Labor day on the last Monday in May and many schools last day is around that time.

Regarding timing, keep in mind that it is HOT in June in Florida. More precisely, it is HOT and it is HUMID. The afternoons are simply intolerable in late May - September for me, and I'm from Alabama and my body is generally used to high heat and humidity. If we are at the park in the summer, we spend the afternoons at the water parks at Disney, by the pool, or taking a nap.

I've met many people from the UK and Canada at the parks who were suffering from the heat and humidity as early as the middle of March (when I thought the weather was pleasant). So I'm afraid you might be a bit miserable (ok - maybe a lot miserable) in the parks in the afternoon, so shoot for early morning and late night (after 8:00 pm or so).

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit!

Hello everyone, new poster here :-) I'm headed to WDW May 21-24 and will be headed to IOA on Wednesday May 25th, any idea what the crowds will be like at WWHP? It's really the only reason we're headed to IOA.

If there are any other can't miss attractions at IOA I'd love to hear about them.

Hello everyone, new poster here :-) I'm headed to WDW May 21-24 and will be headed to IOA on Wednesday May 25th, any idea what the crowds will be like at WWHP? It's really the only reason we're headed to IOA.

If there are any other can't miss attractions at IOA I'd love to hear about them.

Crowds should be manageable that day. I wouldn't miss Jurassic Park River Adventure, Spiderman, Hulk, Cat in the Hat, Popeye and Bluto Bilge Rat Barges rapids ride, Ripsaw Falls, Dr. Doom and Poseidan's Fury.

Hi Everyone!

I'm visiting the parks the 22nd and 23rd (Sunday and Monday) of this month. Anything crowd wise I should be concerned about? From what I've seen here, it sounds like we should go to IOA on the Sunday and Uni on Monday?

Hi folks, I actually asked a Q up there before going into my story, I think I might have obstructed it. Could anyone assist?

I will be visiting US/IOA with my boyfriend in early June for our anniversary. We will be staying onsite at the Royal Pacific. When we were there in February, we took advantage of the early admission to Harry Potter and didn't have any issue with lines at all. Granted, this was February so not the peak of season. But my question is this; we plan to be at US on Friday, June 3 and IOA on Saturday, June 4... if we arrive at IOA and Harry Potter at 10 or 11 am, will we encounter very long waits and overcrowding? Even though we have the Fast Passes for staying onsite? I'm kind of worried about this now, I hope someone can shed some light on this! Thanks for your help!

I will be visiting US/IOA with my boyfriend in early June for our anniversary. We will be staying onsite at the Royal Pacific. When we were there in February, we took advantage of the early admission to Harry Potter and didn't have any issue with lines at all. Granted, this was February so not the peak of season. But my question is this; we plan to be at US on Friday, June 3 and IOA on Saturday, June 4... if we arrive at IOA and Harry Potter at 10 or 11 am, will we encounter very long waits and overcrowding? Even though we have the Fast Passes for staying onsite? I'm kind of worried about this now, I hope someone can shed some light on this! Thanks for your help!

We encountered long lines and overcrowding in April... Your fast passes don't help much in WWOHP. Your real advantage since you're staying on site is that one hour entry before the rest of the people turn up. Get up early. And go back to the hotel and wait out the mad crowds and the heat of the afternoon.

Early June crowds shouldn't be too bad yet. Mid June-mid August will have the summer crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter