Harry Potter Crowd Report Thread...

Wow!! We are going in oct. After reading this thread, i was thinking we would take 2 days at Universal. (We have AP at WDW so were going to head there after 2 days. Now I am thinking maybe one day is enough for us?? DS wants to do WWOHP. He also loves rollercoasters. DD is not tall enough for all the biggies yet so I was going to take her to some of the smaller rides.

Sounds encouraging! I'm getting excited. We'll expect huge crowds and be thrilled if they aren't there!

Just returned from our 8-night stay at Portofino stay last week. Here's our Hogwarts experience.

Last Saturday, we ventured over to Hogwarts after dinner. It was around 8 p.m. and very crowded. We rode the Flight of the Hippogriff several times with no wait and could have ridden the dragons with no wait too. FJ had a posted wait time of 120 minutes and they had closed the line and were not allowing anyone else to enter. By the time we left Hogwarts, they reopened the line and the poor cast members tried to keep everyone from stampeding the entrance. We did not enter that chaos!

We sat our clock for 6:30 a.m. on Sunday morning and left the hotel by 7. We took the short-cut walk from Portofino (it is awesome)! By the time we arrived at Islands of Adventure they were already letting people enter. Non-resort guests were sent to the left and hotel guests to the right. We entered Hogwarts and left our bags at the lockers at the train. We ended up paying $3 but it was a much better decision we would find out later in the week. No crowds to get to these lockers. We went straight to FJ and ended up in the greenhouse right outside the door to Hogwarts. The ride had some technical difficulties so we had a very short wait. No worries as we moved through the castle. A very short wait and a very awesome ride experience. By the time we were off the ride, the crowds had gathered. We rode Flight of Hippogriff several times with no wait. We had frozen butterbeer on the nice covered tables behind Hogshead. No wait at the bar for the drink. We left Hogswart only to discover the mobs of people in line just to enter Hogswart. The heat was unreal last week and I can't imagine waiting in line to wait in line!!!

We set our clock for 6:30 a.m. again on Tuesday morning. We arrived at Islands of Adventure by 7:15 only to find that the ticket gate was not open this morning. They opened at 7:30. We went to the right and arrived at Ollivanders to discover only a couple of people in line. We were the second group of the day. Fun, but the child that was picked really "did not get into" the experience so it wasn't very exciting. I would not wait hours for the Ollivanders show! My 10-year old quickly bought a wand and we moved on to FJ. We made the mistake of using the lockers inside of the castle. We wish we would have just paid to use the ones at the train. It is madness at those lockers!!! The ride was down once again this morning and the posted wait time was 45 minutes when we arrived. We ended up waiting in the greenhouse area for quite a bit of time. Already a hot and humid day and it was around 8 a.m. I cannot imagine spending the heat of day in this greenhouse area. Once the ride was up and running, we moved through quickly. Once again, the other two rides did not have much of a line. We once again enjoyed frozen butterbeer in our secret shady spot behind Hogshead bar.

We returned to Hogswart on Thursday evening for our son to ride FJ one last time. The posted wait time was 120 minutes and it was at least 8:30 p.m. We decided to use the single rider line and just let our son ride. Lots of entire families in this line! The ride was being tested so we had a short wait without moving. He probably ended up being in line for over an hour. You really miss the castle atmosphere in this single rider line, but it served the purpose for a "one last ride". We left Hogwarts after 9:30 p.m. and Hogwarts was still crazy busy.

I am staying at Portofino in September and will be doing WWOHP on a Sunday. If the park opens at 9 AM onsite guests get in at 8 AM correct? So we need to be at the gates at 7 AM? Finaly can someone share the short-cut walk from Portofino? THANKS!

Just returned from our 8-night stay at Portofino stay last week. Here's our Hogwarts experience.

Last Saturday, we ventured over to Hogwarts after dinner. It was around 8 p.m. and very crowded. We rode the Flight of the Hippogriff several times with no wait and could have ridden the dragons with no wait too. FJ had a posted wait time of 120 minutes and they had closed the line and were not allowing anyone else to enter. By the time we left Hogwarts, they reopened the line and the poor cast members tried to keep everyone from stampeding the entrance. We did not enter that chaos!

We sat our clock for 6:30 a.m. on Sunday morning and left the hotel by 7. We took the short-cut walk from Portofino (it is awesome)! By the time we arrived at Islands of Adventure they were already letting people enter. Non-resort guests were sent to the left and hotel guests to the right. We entered Hogwarts and left our bags at the lockers at the train. We ended up paying $3 but it was a much better decision we would find out later in the week. No crowds to get to these lockers. We went straight to FJ and ended up in the greenhouse right outside the door to Hogwarts. The ride had some technical difficulties so we had a very short wait. No worries as we moved through the castle. A very short wait and a very awesome ride experience. By the time we were off the ride, the crowds had gathered. We rode Flight of Hippogriff several times with no wait. We had frozen butterbeer on the nice covered tables behind Hogshead. No wait at the bar for the drink. We left Hogswart only to discover the mobs of people in line just to enter Hogswart. The heat was unreal last week and I can't imagine waiting in line to wait in line!!!

We set our clock for 6:30 a.m. again on Tuesday morning. We arrived at Islands of Adventure by 7:15 only to find that the ticket gate was not open this morning. They opened at 7:30. We went to the right and arrived at Ollivanders to discover only a couple of people in line. We were the second group of the day. Fun, but the child that was picked really "did not get into" the experience so it wasn't very exciting. I would not wait hours for the Ollivanders show! My 10-year old quickly bought a wand and we moved on to FJ. We made the mistake of using the lockers inside of the castle. We wish we would have just paid to use the ones at the train. It is madness at those lockers!!! The ride was down once again this morning and the posted wait time was 45 minutes when we arrived. We ended up waiting in the greenhouse area for quite a bit of time. Already a hot and humid day and it was around 8 a.m. I cannot imagine spending the heat of day in this greenhouse area. Once the ride was up and running, we moved through quickly. Once again, the other two rides did not have much of a line. We once again enjoyed frozen butterbeer in our secret shady spot behind Hogshead bar.

We returned to Hogswart on Thursday evening for our son to ride FJ one last time. The posted wait time was 120 minutes and it was at least 8:30 p.m. We decided to use the single rider line and just let our son ride. Lots of entire families in this line! The ride was being tested so we had a short wait without moving. He probably ended up being in line for over an hour. You really miss the castle atmosphere in this single rider line, but it served the purpose for a "one last ride". We left Hogwarts after 9:30 p.m. and Hogwarts was still crazy busy.

Sounds like the most success was in the early entry AM :thumbsup2 I think the lockers are crazy at FJ because people do not know they need to leave bags until they are there. The lockers by the train are mostly for DC, but work if you plan to ride FJ too.

We will have 2 partial days for Universal - Aug 14 & 15. We are 2 adults staying off site, have 2 day 1 park tix with express passes. WWoHP is our primary focus but we want to check both parks out for next year's family trip. We are new to Universal.

Should we be at IoA at 7am? What about a plan of attack? I'm thinking FJ, no locker, then try Olivanders, then other shops and ride? Early lunch at TB and then Spiderman, whatever else fits in before out by 2 or 3.

We have less time for US. Have to leave by 1pm at latest. That's why the express passes. Any thoughts or suggestions? I hope we can get a good taste of the parks.

Be at IOA 7am, no locker OLLIVANDER's FIRST if you want to see that...then FJ. The line for Ollivander's is crazier faster than FJ.

Wow!! We are going in oct. After reading this thread, i was thinking we would take 2 days at Universal. (We have AP at WDW so were going to head there after 2 days. Now I am thinking maybe one day is enough for us?? DS wants to do WWOHP. He also loves rollercoasters. DD is not tall enough for all the biggies yet so I was going to take her to some of the smaller rides.

I would still do 2 days. Parks will be closing earlier because of HHN (esp the Studios...5pm I think?)

I am staying at Portofino in September and will be doing WWOHP on a Sunday. If the park opens at 9 AM onsite guests get in at 8 AM correct? So we need to be at the gates at 7 AM? Finaly can someone share the short-cut walk from Portofino? THANKS!

Need to be AT turnstile by 7am ... yes. Of course, crowds could drop come September and park hours change...but, better earlier than later! The shortcut from PBH is to bear right at the Garden Pathway cutoff. Cross the street & cut thru Hard Rock Hotel parking lot. I think there's a thread on it...or something about it in a Portofino thread....

Need to be AT turnstile by 7am ... yes. Of course, crowds could drop come September and park hours change...but, better earlier than later! The shortcut from PBH is to bear right at the Garden Pathway cutoff. Cross the street & cut thru Hard Rock Hotel parking lot. I think there's a thread on it...or something about it in a Portofino thread....

[/QUOTE]

THANKS a lot! We will acutally be there on a Saturday...we head to DisneyWorld Sunday.

If you are staying off-site it looks like you get into park at 8.45am at the moment. Are all rides open at this time. According to all reports we would be better to do WWOHP later in day so planning to go straight to the Hulk. Is this a good strategy?

We were staying off site too, parked the car about 8 and walked round to the discovery centre, by 9.15 we had done the ride and collected our bags.

Just returned and went to IOA today. Here's our experience:

We stayed at RPR. We left the hotel around 7:00am and took the boat over to IOA-got to the gate around 7:10. They let us in at 7:30 and we walked quickly over to WWOHP (using the shortcut through Seuss Landing-thanks! :thumbsup2 ). Went right to Ollivanders and waited about 5 minutes-we might have been the 2nd show of the day. The show was very enjoyable, but not worth more than a 30 minute wait IMO. Went over to FJ and ran into a glitch-the ride was down. So we shopped and took pictures and rode Hippogriff-all with very little wait or stress. No real lines-the only crowding was in the wand shop area after each time the Ollivanders show would let out. I rode Dragon Challenge with a 10-15 minute wait (only one train per side running). As I came off DC, I saw the masses coming in! FJ had just started working, but we made the decision to do some other rides, go back to the hotel, swim, etc.

Came back to WWOHP around 1:45-what a difference! Very crowded in the street, hard to maneuver. We got in line for FJ at 2:00pm with a posted 75 minute wait. We were done, including Kid Swapping by 3:30, so the wait time was close, but the line moved almost constantly. After FJ, we headed out with a stop to ride Spiderman.

My thoughts: 1) Early entry was very much worth it. If FJ had been running, we'd have been out before it got crowded having done everything we wanted to do. The hotels are pricier than we're used to, and we stayed in Orlando only one night vs. the original 2 nights we had planned (we were going to stay offsite at first) and we're so glad we did! All the other FOTL rides were like bonuses! 2) Universal did a fantastic job with WWOHP. The attention to details were wonderful and we loved them.

Sounds like the most success was in the early entry AM :thumbsup2 I think the lockers are crazy at FJ because people do not know they need to leave bags until they are there. The lockers by the train are mostly for DC, but work if you plan to ride FJ too.

When we were entering the castle, the line for the lockers was mixed with the regular line. Thankfully a manager separated the two and we could go forward since we were doing the child swap and didn't need the lockers.

Just returned from a 5 day stay onsite at RPR. Wizarding world was amazing! We arrived last Thursday morning and did early entry Fri, Sat and Sun. The lightest day was Sunday (plus a few degrees cooler too). Thanks for the tips about Seuss Landing shortcut. I'd also like to share another I learned while there. There is an entrance to lockers thru Filch's Emporium.....we never stood in the long line in the front of the castle for lockers.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

We're headed to HP this Friday :woohoo: and are staying offsite. What time should we arrive? I've heard some say by 7 or 7:30. Is this what we should do? Any other suggestions? Thanks! :goodvibes

There is an entrance to lockers thru Filch's Emporium.....we never stood in the long line in the front of the castle for lockers.

That's because the ride exits thru Filch's. ;) You either exit thru the store, or hang a right off the ride into the locker area.

We're headed to HP this Friday :woohoo: and are staying offsite. What time should we arrive? I've heard some say by 7 or 7:30. Is this what we should do? Any other suggestions? Thanks! :goodvibes

I would get there by 7...especially if staying offsite.

Lines- VERY confusing because I got through the gates by flashing my room key. We never got a stupid blue card nor did I plan on it. I'm awful at following rules. I figured I'm staying on-site I should at least be able to get in and walk around. The girl looked at my key and said nothing.

The big issue I saw was people standing to the right in the locker line. Here were the two issues: either people stood to the right and needed a locker OR they stood to the right because they thought it was the line to the ride. Then you had people confused and just standing there. I would HIGHLY suggest to everyone going to just stay left and walk up to the castle. The wizards:wizard: will point you in the right direction.

Single rider was walk on to 10 min tops BUT you miss Dumbledore, the talking paintings and Harry, Hermonine and Ron. Do it both ways. Early entry is ok but I enjoyed the area more after 4. It wasn't as hot or crowded.
Olivanders line was CRAZY everytime we were there. I honestly didn't see the thrill.

If you have a child in a stroller I would, if you can, leave the stroller the day you go to Hogsmeade. It is such a small area in the shops. There were a few wheelchair bound people in the shops and I have no idea how they were able to even move around.

I will have an ECV because I can't walk or stand for long periods. I plan to leave it outside the shops since I hear they're small. Should I take it into the castle. Is the line too long, slow to walk? Any place to sit? Thanks!

I think there is a separate entry area for EVC and wheelchairs for the ride its very tight in the castle line when it comes to turns.

Be very careful if using a DC locker when riding FJ....the lockers are timed for their respective ride. You may only have 45 minutes when using a DC locker and the FJ wait time could be 60 minutes....you would then have to pay for your extra time.

That's because the ride exits thru Filch's. ;) You either exit thru the store, or hang a right off the ride into the locker area.

Yes, we knew it was near the exit...I was offering a tip to others that don't want to stand in the line. My son read the tip on Orlando United and it worked well for us.:)

Be very careful if using a DC locker when riding FJ....the lockers are timed for their respective ride. You may only have 45 minutes when using a DC locker and the FJ wait time could be 60 minutes....you would then have to pay for your extra time.

If you do have to pay for the locker do you need coins or will it accept dollar bills?

Getting closer to our trip!!! Just want to clarify the Seuss shortcut. Is the line I drew the correct path?

shortcutw.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter