Harry Potter Crowd Report Thread...

I guesstimate in September it will be all day like it is in the evenings now (busy but not overly obnoxious). I doubt the Ollivanders line will ever cut down significantly tho' because of the low capacity. It's the new Pteradon Flyers!

I am avidly following the reports on wait times for HP attractions, but dismayed re: comments on lines for Ollivanders. We are travelling in mid-Aug with 4 HP mad kids, all of whom are only interested in buying wands. Please can someone tell me if we can purchase them anywhere else, in the event we can't go through full Ollivanders experience. I just cannot imagine our kids waiting in line 2 hours.

You can't actually even buy wands in Ollivanders itself. That's only if you want to see the Wand Choosing Ceremony. Which only one person is selected. Afterwords, you are let into Owl Post where you can buy a wand.

If you don't want to see the show, you can wait in the Dervish & Banges line which is on the backside of the building, and extends toward the entrance of Dragon Challenge. That line seems to be running 30 minutes. D&B is connected to the Owl Post, so once you are let in, you can squeeze your way into the Owl Post.

I'll see about crowds for tomorrow (when I'll be going). I went there the first time and it was packed (but not quite as packed as opening day). The crowd consisted of locals and out-of-towners alike and an Argentinean youth herd (aka Tango Muggles) - no sign of a Brazilian tour group (Samba Muggles). The wait for FJ (the single rider queue ) was comparable to the wait on Test Track (also the single rider queue) down in Epcot at WDW on a moderately busy day. Will see more Samba and Tango Muggles tomorrow and report crowds.

Hi, we've got Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and SeaWorld to do. Our dates (tentative I guess) are Tuesday July 27, Wed July 28, and Thursday July 29. Which day would you suggest we head to IOA? We are hoping to do as much of WWOHP and the rest of the park as possible. I still haven't decided if it's better to do WWOHP right away or risk waiting until afternoon/evening. We'll stay as long as possible.

Will definitely be watching this thread!! We'll be going from Nov. 4-9, hope crowds aren't bad. Does it seem like it's better to wait to go to HP until later in the day?? We're really only interested in FJ, not any of the shops or getting any kind of food.
Also-- this may seem really stupid--but is the path to FJ well marked? I'm not a fan of losing time due to getting lost. Also, is the FJ/"line experience" the only thing in the Hogwart's castle, or is it more like the "Land" at Epcot, where the one building holds restaurants, Soarin, Living with the Land, etc??

I am avidly following the reports on wait times for HP attractions, but dismayed re: comments on lines for Ollivanders. We are travelling in mid-Aug with 4 HP mad kids, all of whom are only interested in buying wands. Please can someone tell me if we can purchase them anywhere else, in the event we can't go through full Ollivanders experience. I just cannot imagine our kids waiting in line 2 hours.

As mentioned, you can buy wands at Dervish and Banges (the store you are let into to buy wands after the Ollivander's show).

You can also buy wands at the cart outside the FJ exit. That line is usually shorter.

Will definitely be watching this thread!! We'll be going from Nov. 4-9, hope crowds aren't bad. Does it seem like it's better to wait to go to HP until later in the day?? We're really only interested in FJ, not any of the shops or getting any kind of food.
Also-- this may seem really stupid--but is the path to FJ well marked? I'm not a fan of losing time due to getting lost. Also, is the FJ/"line experience" the only thing in the Hogwart's castle, or is it more like the "Land" at Epcot, where the one building holds restaurants, Soarin, Living with the Land, etc??

When you enter IOA you can turn left or right. If you turn right and keep going, you get to Wizarding World. FJ is in the castle. You can't miss the castle. The ride and the line are the only attractions in the castle except for Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods which is the exit store.

I think by early November, it won't matter what time of day you go.

Hi, we've got Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and SeaWorld to do. Our dates (tentative I guess) are Tuesday July 27, Wed July 28, and Thursday July 29. Which day would you suggest we head to IOA? We are hoping to do as much of WWOHP and the rest of the park as possible. I still haven't decided if it's better to do WWOHP right away or risk waiting until afternoon/evening. We'll stay as long as possible.

The only day that seems to have less of a crowd is Sunday.

Yesterday we got to IOA for our first day at around 3 pm with our only plan to go to WWoHP.

WWoHP was a madhouse with crowds. Between the heat and the crush of people, I wasn't sure if we should stay. We stayed---until 9 pm!

Times are approximate (didn't take notes):

3:30 pm: Posted wait for FJ was 60 minutes. Got through in 45. Went right back on using single rider---BIG MISTAKE---that was about 40 minutes.

4:30: 10 minute wait for Flight of Hypogriff.

5 pm: Watched Frog Choir, then got in line for Honeydukes (10 minutes or so). Sent DH out while we were in line (beans & frog) so he could get in line for butterbeer. Frozen is ADDICTIVE!!!

6 pm: Got in line for wand experience. Attendant said 90 minutes. We were in within 45 minutes. MY OLDER SON GOT CHOSEN! I was stunned. I warned my boys (14 & 12) some young kids in HP clothes were in the front of the line, and would probably get chosen. My only advice to them was the same as every other audience participation thing: Make eye contact with the person as soon as you can, smile and be interested/enthusiastic.

7:15 or so: 15 minute wait for Dragon Challenge.

8 pm or so: Back for another round of FJ. Still 60 minute posted wait. Was about 45 in reality.

Left WWoHP around 9 pm. All lines were minimal, and it was soooo pleasant. We won't even bother with early AM for WWoHP. The mid-day evening strategy seems the way to go---if only for the setting sun.

NB~I read about Ollivanders line being in the sun. By waiting until later afternoon/evening, the line is in the shade. I wouldn't do it in the blistering sun. Waiting for butterbeer was enough!

NB 2~Both FJ and DC went down during the six hours we were there. FJ twice and DC once. If that is normal in a six hour period, it's gonna be a long summer! Don't get out of line, though---every time it came back up quickly.

If DC goes down, it's usually briefly to add or take off another train. They usually make an announcement and the wait is very brief.

When you enter IOA you can turn left or right. If you turn right and keep going, you get to Wizarding World. FJ is in the castle. You can't miss the castle. The ride and the line are the only attractions in the castle except for Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods which is the exit store.

I think by early November, it won't matter what time of day you go.
ur

Thank you so much! We've been to US/IOA before, so I knew the general direction HP would be in, but not exactly the castle.
Good to know the outlook for November is good-- again, thank you so much for your help!!

ur

Thank you so much! We've been to US/IOA before, so I knew the general direction HP would be in, but not exactly the castle.
Good to know the outlook for November is good-- again, thank you so much for your help!!

You'd actually get there if you went left as well -- it is just a little longer -- IOA and Universal are big circle routes. You can see the castle from outside of the park. You'll have no trouble finding it!

Bumping to remind everyone to please keep posting their experiences with crowds at HP.

Especially those who went w/ a plan of attack and how that went. :thumbsup2

We are here now. We checked into RPR yesterday. We came to IOA at 4:30 and came around to WWoHP, got into single riders (27 minutes). Then rode Hippograff and DC with express. Honeydukes line was to long to wait. Olivanders was of course ridiculous. Went back around at 8pm. Standy for FJ was 45 minutes, line for Olivanders was closed off, walked right into Honeydukes. Walked right up and got Butterbeer, castmember laughed be aide after us was the first break in the line they'd had all day. It was around 9pm then. Oh also standby at 5:00 pm for FJ was 90 minutes.

Here again right now. We got in standy at 1:39 pm. DD 7, wants mr next to her this time. The things we do for our kids. So we are waiting in the posted 90 minute line. Oh one other thing, the ride was down when we got in line, but the line was still moving. We stopped for about 11 minutes, and we are now moving again.

One tip, if you don't have to carry anything with you don't!! The line for the lockers were crazy.

One tip, if you don't have to carry anything with you don't!! The line for the lockers were crazy.

Its not so much that there's a line, its that people crowd about without knowing what to do. There's several stations, go to a screen that are not occupied. People tend to swarm at the ones near the ent. Go to stations near the single rider queue. It really shouldn't take you more than a min to go through the prompts and secure a locker - but same thing could be said about people using ATMS :confused3

Thank for the updates. We are arriving at Portofini tomorrow and will be in WWoHP on Thursday morning. 9:30 ressie at Three Broomsticks and we have our strategy in place!

I, too, will post wait and crowds while there.

Thanks for the recent updates!

Just to update again, we were done riding at 3:07 pm. The ride was down for a total of 20 minutes. So actually if the ride had not of went down our total standby wait at 1:49 pm would have been about 60 minutes. The line really does move so fast once you're in the castle.

I agree about people not knowing how to use the lockers, but all 3 times we went over near the ride the line for the lockers extended out of the castle and cast memebers were going through directing those without bags to go around.

I have to say that this board (thread) has been so helpful. I just wore my fannypack, so no bags for us.

One other thing I want to mention is my DD7, who is a daredevil, rides Dinosaur, jurrassic park, tower of terror no problems was a bit shaken by FJ. So when we did standby, I had to have my hand on her leg the whole time. 10 year old was fine. For younger children, if you have any concerns I would just say prepare them a little.

Hope everyone has a great time. And it is totally doable with a plan!! Sorry for typos. Typing on iPhone.

Thank for the updates. We are arriving at Portofini tomorrow and will be in WWoHP on Thursday morning. 9:30
!

Thanks! Can't wait to hear how the pkg goes as we have the same thing planned and I only want to keep it if it keeps us from :cheer2:having to wait at 3 broomsticks. Kids are gonna want that butterbeer ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter