Harry Potter Crowd Report Thread...

I think it will die down quite a bit. We recently got an AP flyer in the mail stating we can get AP rates at the onsite hotels between now and mid-August. That wouldn't be offered if they were all sold out.

You are right, the rates would not be offered if they were already sold out, but the majority of the theme park guests don't stay onsite. The vacant rooms would not have a play in how crowded HP would be. At least the way I look at it...
On the same token, I do think by Aug it will die down. Now you have nearly every child out of school (except for the year round schools and even some of them will be off during a portion of the summer).

We truly had a blessing in disguise. My wife is a huge HP fan and was looking forward to seeing the WWOHP, which was planned to originally open in the spring of 2010. We planned to be there between June 1-14. When we heard it wasn't opening until the 18th, we were truly bummed to miss out on this event by 4 days. Luckily, when we went, it had a soft opening. We were able to stroll through all of the rides, including FJ, which had a 20 minute wait. Best simulation ride I've ever been on. I just rode the Spiderman ride earlier and said that's the best simulation ride I've ever been on. These crowds that I'm looking at for the grand opening is ridiculous.

That is so good to hear......glad you managed to see WW and enjoyed the ride itself :thumbsup2

We are staying on site at Portofino July 14-18 and we are planning IOA on the 15th and 17th. We do not have hoppers....but may see if we can upgrade once we're there???

I am hoping that being an onsite guest and getting to IOA super early will help us beat any major crowds. I will post a full report while in Universal.

Does anybody have any idea what the crowds are like 2 days after the Grand Opening? Very interested.

Someone on Orlando United said that the line to get into WWoHP at 9 was only 1 hour long this morning, and never stretched back past Jurassic Park. So more improvement since yesterday. Now hopefully, everyone isn't waiting to go until tomorrow, because that's when we are going. I haven't seen too many reports of extended ride closures, so I think we are going to do the rest of the park first (this is our first trip to Universal) and then hit HP before closing. Then when we go back later in our trip, we will do it first thing.

I too am going the last day of August and will have early entry. From what I've heard, it makes more sense to hit Olivanders first, then FJ. What's everyone think about that?

We'll be there in a few weeks for our WDW trip and plan one day at IOA only to see WWoHP. Our plan is to arrive around 4PM on a Sunday (mid July) after hanging out at Pop's pool and doing lunch. We have no interest in seeing anything else. We are making the assumption that the crowd patterns will be similar to WDW --- people showing up really early and then leavning mid-day when they get hot and cranky?

What do you think?

Got to IOA a little after noon. Walked into wwohp from Suess. Butterbeer cart was at least 50 deep on both sides. FJ was posted 120. Singles was at the top of the stairs, didn't wait. Lines for all the stores were huge and Ollivanders was back to DC entrance. Went over to Us and got 2 quick rides on the Rocket.

FYI - There are a lot of Harry Potter merchandise at the stores near the entrance of IOA and US. Both stores had a lot of items that we already bought in WWHOP. They had Hedwig plush, pins, t-shirts and some of the toys from Zonkos such as the screaming yo-yo, sneakoscopes and remerballs. They even had chocolate frogs and other candies. No wands, butter beer nor pumpkin juice though.

That's my husband posting above as atigeg. I will add that the 3 Broomsticks line and some of the store lines went to the front of Hogsmeade and the Ollivanders line went to the Hogwarts Express. You literally could barely walk around in the area because of crowds and all the snaking lines. Not at all enjoyable so that's why we opted for Uni. The rest of IOA was dead. I'll bet the people who waited forever for butterbeer were pretty pissed when they got to the front and found out there was no frozen (I overheard that when passing the cart).

I was there today!

I got there at 8:10 AM, got into HP around 9:30. Had to wait around an hour by FJ entrance because I realized I lost my credit card (it's still lost). The TMs at the entrance were SO NICE to me and the security guard, Tony, helped me with who I should call and he kept checking up on me. I did the single riders line for FJ and it was only 20 minutes long. AND the ride broke down while I got in line, and I seriously think I was only in line 20 minutes total. They got the ride running very quickly. The overall ride wait time at 9:30 was 60 minutes and it went up to 75 minutes during the hour I was standing outside of the castle.

Wait time for Flight of the Hippogriff was 10 minutes. I did front row as a single person for the Chinese Fireball for Dueling Dragons and the whole thing ended up being over 30 minutes. The wait time posted was 5-10 minutes I believe? HOWEVER, there was CHAOS at the lockers for DC. The ride got much longer while I was in line and they never updated the wait time, so people were going over their allotted 30 minute wait time, so the poor TM had to override many of our locker charges. :( I felt bad for her, she didn't do anything. OH and those lockers are idiotic. They tell you to pay 3 bucks so you can get into your locker...yet....your money is INSIDE of the locker? Um...How in the heck does this make any logical sense?!

The line to get into Three Broomsticks was around 45 minutes, and I got to cut the line a bit because I volunteered to eat on the patio instead of waiting for a chair. I would have waited at least another 30-40 minutes if I wanted an indoor table.

The line earlier to get into the Hogs Head was around 20 minutes for me.

I never got into ANY of the shops because the lines were freaking crazy. Well, I did get into Filch's. I would recommend people try to make many purchases at Filch's because it's the easiest to get into.

There was a wand cart outside and also an Owl Post cart in the Owlery. I ended up getting a few HP things at the main IOA store, and I got 1 item at Filch's. I was way too exhausted after being in HP for over 4 hours to wait in those lines to get into the stores. They'll be there the next time I come back sometime next year.

ALSO!!!! One of the TMs at the main IOA store was telling me that in 1-2 months, they were going to put their HP merchandise online for people to buy. He mainly told me this because I told him I could only buy a few things because I lost my credit card and only had a limited amount of cash. So, if what the TM said is true, it means many of us will be able to finish getting our merch that we missed getting! =]

Just got back from a weekend at the Portofino. The crowd was much better on Saturday and even better this morning. We left our hotel at about 6:45 this morning and took the shortcut through the Hard Rock parking lot (I think I have Damo to thank for that but I apologize if it was someone else), so we got back to WWOHP at about seven and they let us in about 7:30 or maybe a bit after. We immediately got in line for FJ and then had a last butterbeer, bought some postcards, rode Doctor Doom, grabbed breakfast sandwiches at the Boulangerie (hidden gem!), then went to the Studios and rode Rockit, and still got back to the hotel by 10 am so my daughter could swim for an hour before our towncar came. She changed in the bathroom and we were off. I still can't believe how much we accomplished today, so yeah, the crowds are much much better and an onsite stay is priceless! We were leaving Islands just as the morning crowds were coming in.

My thoughts: Pumpkin Juice is very sweet indeed and tasted worlds better when I filled the bottle halfway with ice and let it melt a bit. (I had an empty ziplock sandwich bag and asked for some ice to take with me; best idea I had other than the 1.50 battery fan from Walmart). The butterbeer is delicious and yes the frozen is best. After waiting in line an hour on Saturday someone came out from the Hogshead and started selling it off a tray. That was great and much quicker. If you don't get the mug it is 2.44 for the 10-ounce glass from the cart and was 3.25 or 3.50 for the 12-ounce glasses they were bringing out of the bar. My advice; don't get the mug. If you wear a fanny pack you won't need to get a locker for FJ and who wants to carry a sticky plastic mug around. Just my opinion. Also Pumpkin Juice is like 6.50 which seemed quite a lot for a very sweet drink in a regular size bottle. Best deals here are the butterbeer and the fresh fruit cup (actually a tall cup) for 3.50. I hope that doesn't go up. It was cold, refreshing, and delicious.

Ate at the Three Broomsticks. Shepherds Pie was not very delicious. It seems like just ground beef flavored vaguely with what tasted like Manwich sauce and topped with somewhat dry mashed potatoes. (Was surprised by no veggie layer.) It is the size of an individual pot pie. The other food is similar to what you can find in other restaurants in the park so I'll give that a skip the next time.

Line for Ollivanders was consistently over an hour for a four or five minute experience. If you go regularly I would skip that until the crowds go down. It was pretty cool but not worth an hour in the Florida sun.

Forbidden Journey was terrific, wonderful, incredible, and fan-flipping-tastic. We rode it three times. It is scary though, and my twelve-year-old who is a ghost lover and a true speed demon, could not make it through the ride with her eyes open. It is a dark ride in more ways than one. I loved it, but small kids might not.

Overall the theming is better than I have ever seen anywhere (yes even the mouse house, so forgive me!). We can't wait to go back!!:yay::yay:

I got pumpkin juice in a cup at 3 Broomsticks for 2.99. Very big cup. I prefer Butterbeer over Pumpkin juice.

Wow, they are charging a lot for that decorative bottle, although my daughter did make me take the pumpkin head off and keep it, lol. Like we needed a small plastic pumpkin. Butterbeer is oh so delicious though, not too sweet. Wish I had some right now.

I appreciate starting a thread about this topic. We are planning to go to WWHP at IOA for a day in March over spring break. As much as we'd love to see this, if lines are too long we may decide to do a Disney Park for a day instead. Line reports can help us decide.

We will be going next week and staying offsite. I'll give a report on wait times, and I cannot WAIT to go! Don't even care about the crowds, I will be happy just being there!

I'm so appreciative of those of you who are posting your experiences! I'm learning a lot from these, for example it never occurred to me to not buy the butterbeer in a mug because I'd have to get a locker for the silly thing. Maybe we can snag one later in the day if I decide I want one.

Cool to know that HP things will be sold on-line eventually too. That might make things a lot easier.

Day after GO seems smoother. I saw rope lines to cordon off the Harry Potter line with the rest of the crowd and more TMs patrolling the line.

Also the line is much shorter. At 12:30, the line ended at Toon Lagoon and a TM was quoting 1 1/2 to 2 hour wait to get into the land. She had a bullhorn directing people to the end of the line which was marked with a portable sign that moved with the line.

Glad to hear this. GO day was insanity, with a general lack of direction, and even some MISdirection from TMs. We were there before opening and gave up altogether at about midday.

IMHO IOA and US an learn a lot from Disney with crowd control and telling people what is going on. I walked all the way up to where LC starts after Seuss Landing and was promptly stopped by a rope and a small army of employess and security guards.(Didnt know about the line at that point)Apparently, the line started at the end of the lake as you come under the tunnel, and continued the long way around the lake.And it wasnt moving as far as I could tell.There was no signs, warnings, cast members or even a bird saying come here.

Yeah, we had a similar experience. We tried to go on Friday (last day we were in Orlando)...there before opening, but didn't get into IOA itself until almost 10:30. While coming in from the parking garage, security guys prevented anyone from going the short (left) way from CityWalk to the IOA gates and instead directed us all the way around by the Universal globe and Hard Rock. Then apparently they later decided to fill in that shorter way over the bridge with latecomers, and alternated letting groups of people in from our line and from there. That annoyed me, but whatever.

Then we got inside and found NO direction about where to go for HP...started following the permanent signs that pointed where to go for what islands and near Spiderman, we noticed that we were passing a large group of people. Figured they were probably in line for something HP related, and asked them...they said they were in line just to get to the island, and that it was an 8-hour wait. There were no ropes, no tape, no signs to indicate what this line was, just a mass of people.

So we try to go to what seems to be the end of this line, and just after joining we see our first TM of the day besides the guy at the turnstile...he says "this line has been closed; you have to go to Seuss Island". We ask what he means by "closed", and he just repeats that we're supposed to go to Seuss Island if we want to see Harry Potter.

So, ok, we head that direction and encounter another group of people who look like they're standing in a line to nowhere...no TM in sight...people in the line say they're waiting for Harry Potter and have been told NINE hours.

All right...we try to settle in and wait. There are no TMs directing this line, and I see quite a few people try to sidle up and cut in toward the front of the line every time we move forward. After about a hour waiting here, someone up ahead in the line passes out from the heat, which was the 3rd such occurrence of the day (had happened to someone further away from us once while waiting near Hard Rock to get in, and once again at the turnstiles). I'm starting to get worried at this point...it's the end of a long vacation week for us, and I don't think we can physically take nine more hours of baking in direct sunlight to see two hours of HP, considering the park hours were posted as 9am-10pm.

Then our line starts to move forward...a lot...so we move with it...and then it disperses into non-existence. Uh...what??? We try to ask the same TM near Spiderman what just happened, and he has no idea...just directs us back to the same place. We say we just came from there, where we'd waited probably 90 minutes, and then the line moved forward, then disappeared altogether. He has no answer.

We're pretty much fed up at this point and decided just to walk as close to the Hogsmeade area as we can to at least see the castle from afar. We're stopped in Jurassic Park by a line of security people SCREAMING that no one can go past this point. We try to tell them what happened to us, and all they will say is that we can't go any further, that our issues aren't a security problem, they have to hold this line. We try to ask where the security people were or even TMs, for the further-back sections of the line, because there were no signs, no ropes, nothing, and people were cutting left and right. All they could say was that we had to go back.

So...we gave up, and got in line at Guest Services for a refund. There were quite a lot of people who'd been in that Seuss Landing disappearing line who were there as well. We waited two hours there, during which time a customer service/managerial-looking guy came out and said they were prepared to offer either a refund or a "non-expiring" 1-day/2-park pass to those of us who'd been misdirected. When further pressed by someone who said they wouldn't be back in Florida for a few years, he said the pass would expire at the end of this December but that "it would still be honored". We decided just to get a refund. Well, thankfully we remembered this man's name, because once we got inside, the Guest Services TM said "we're not doing any refunds". It was only when we said that Rich had been outside offering the choice of a pass or a refund that we actually got our money back (after she went in the back to check).

One guy in our Guest Services line actually told the Universal rep, "I understand this was a lot of people, but Disney manages capacity crowds every July 4th and Christmas...just hire them to do your big opening days from now on and you can avoid these problems." I was like :eek::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter