Harry Potter Book 7 *SPOILERS*

Some more thoughts..... (cant stop thinking about the book):thumbsup2

I like how the books 'MOMS" came to the rescue at the end.

Ron's Mom did Belatrix in, and Malfoy's Mom told Voldermort that Harry was dead!:thumbsup2
And in a way McGonagall who I always thought (in a peculiar way) was motherly towards Harry, arrainged the 'Hogwarts Army'!

:thumbsup2

How perfect was Hermoine kissing Ron after his declaration about wanting to save the house elves?? That couldn't have been set up better. :)

I,loved that, too! And I thought Harry's line was so funny- "Is this the moment?"- like, he was thinking of all the times they had to finally come together, they pick the middle of the battle? And then he asks them if they could just "hold it in" until they find the diadem- too funny and adorable. Loved how Ron said it was "now or never", since they were in the fight of their lives.

Okay...don't know if I have a favorite scene just yet, but my favorite line wavers between Mrs. Weasley's now infamous, and accurrate, characterization of Bellatrix and the Weasley twins' cry of "We're identical!" after changing into Harrys.

That was hysterical!! Oh, and "Well, none of us really fancy it, Harry. Imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as specky, scrawny gits forever." :lmao:

Brilliant.

The only thing that I was upset about with JKR was the last thing in the book - the 19 years after. Well, what happened to Luna? :rolleyes1

I've started re-reading and I'm wondering who was giving Snape information. After he killed Dumbledore, he was obviously out of The Order, but in the scene in Malfoy's dining room where they are talking about when Harry is going to be moved, Snape knows the day and tells Voldemort he got it from "the source we discussed." - So who is the source?
The source is Dumbledore. On page 688 (US regular version) he tells Snape,

"You will have to give Voldemort the correct date of Harry's departure from his aunt and uncle's. Not to do so will raise suspicion, when Voldemort believes you so well informed. However, you must plant the idea of the decoys; that, I think, ought to ensure Harry's safety. Try Confunding Mundungus Fletcher...."

It is also on this page that we learn that Snape was the one who used the spell that cut off George's ear, but that it was meant for a Death Eater's wand hand.

I agree with the PP's about Petunia. I really thought we would learn more about her past and her feelings toward Harry. And Dumbledore's message to her in OotP, "Remember my last!" Referring to his last message to her, I assume. Was that the letter that was left with Harry on the Dursley's doorstep? Or was there more correspondence between Petunia and Dumbledore?
I thought it was stated in book 5, that Dumbledore had given Petunia a letter stating that she had to give home to Harry.

That was hysterical!! Oh, and "Well, none of us really fancy it, Harry. Imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as specky, scrawny gits forever." :lmao:

Brilliant.
I also liked when Fleur had been changed and was looking all lovey-dovey at Bill.
"Fleur walked over to stand beside him, giving him a soppy, slavish look that Harry hoped with all his heart would never appear on his face again."
That had better be in the movie!

Wow!! I loved the book!!!

(Finished last night, but just now finished reading all the posts.)

Cried when they burried Dobby, actually jumped up and down when I was right about the Tiara, loved that Neville got to kill a Horcrux, was surprised Ginny didn't. And I was pleased with the epilogue - I admit I like my happy endings.

I love how she managed to include so much back-story, and I think she did a good job incorporating it into the current story, and actually using those sections to break up the heart-in-the-throat action into managable parts for the reader.

And I agree with a lot of things already siad -

I felt at first that Hedwig's death was really not necessary to the plot, then thought it was to open the way for Fawkes to come back and attach to Harry, but now that's I've read here, I think it was partly because it would have been too awkward to hide her, and partly what someone said about the contrast between her and Moody.

I think Hagrid got the reprieve, and Tonks and Colin replaced him. (I never expected Lupin to make it.)

I thought the Doe might be Ginny's, or somehow connected to Lily, but wow, I didn't realize at the time that Snape sent it!

I agree that Hugo's name probably comes from Victor Hugo. - Les Mis has some of the "love will win" theme as well.

I also liked book 5 least. And book 1 will always be my favorite. But 7 is next - 1,7,6,3,4,2,5.

I think Molly was absolutely in character, and I like what someone said about all the other mom-figures in the end, too (and would include Neville's grandma.)

Maybe they can split it into 2 movies - 7a and 7b. I would definitely pay twice to see it done right!

OK -- I am sooo tired! Stayed up till 2 - determined to finish before someone ruined it for me! SO worth it - loved it - need to read it again. Wasn't it hard to try to slow down and savor it, but dying to read faster??

While I feel I caught almost all of it, there is one very obvious thing I am too tired to figure out. So at the risk of sounding really stupid, I am just going to ask. Who/What was the crying baby in the background at King's Crossing? I kept thinking that it was Teddy Tonks that needed Harry to come back. My son has the book now, so I can't go back and figure it out.

Thanks!

While I feel I caught almost all of it, there is one very obvious thing I am too tired to figure out. So at the risk of sounding really stupid, I am just going to ask. Who/What was the crying baby in the background at King's Crossing? I kept thinking that it was Teddy Tonks that needed Harry to come back. My son has the book now, so I can't go back and figure it out.

Thanks!

I think, as do many here, that it is the part of Voldemort that was cast out of Harry, so to speak.

Just finished reading it earlier today & have been trudging through the 1st 10 pages of this thread but wanted to ask...

Who did Draco marry? Did I overlook this?

The part where Dudley & Harry parted really got me...Can't remember exactly what was said but was under the impression that Dudley liked Harry & hated to see him go...

I knew that the reason Snape was the way he was towards Harry was because he loved Lily and despised James..thus being mean to him but still looking out for him...I had figured Mad Eye was going to die, but also thought Hagrid & Neville would die too...

Can't wait to read it again..:thumbsup2

one thing that has always bugged me is she never says what happens to happened to the potter family. Sirius talks about living with Jame's family all the time, but then they never say that James is an only, and never say what happened to his parents. They were a pure blood line at least to some extent so where are the rest and who is he related to?

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me
I've started re-reading and I'm wondering who was giving Snape information. After he killed Dumbledore, he was obviously out of The Order, but in the scene in Malfoy's dining room where they are talking about when Harry is going to be moved, Snape knows the day and tells Voldemort he got it from "the source we discussed." - So who is the source?

The source is Dumbledore. On page 688 (US regular version) he tells Snape,

"You will have to give Voldemort the correct date of Harry's departure from his aunt and uncle's. Not to do so will raise suspicion, when Voldemort believes you so well informed. However, you must plant the idea of the decoys; that, I think, ought to ensure Harry's safety. Try Confunding Mundungus Fletcher...."

Well, yes, but unless Dumbledore's picture has some insight into the secret plans of the Order after his death, I think Snape must have been getting the actual date of the removal from Privet Drive from another source.

one thing that has always bugged me is she never says what happens to happened to the potter family. Sirius talks about living with Jame's family all the time, but then they never say that James is an only, and never say what happened to his parents. They were a pure blood line at least to some extent so where are the rest and who is he related to?

J

Only because I am a very big Potter nerd do I know the answers to your questions. James is an only child of only children, and his parents died years ago from some wizard illness. (This information is on JK Rowlings website.)

I really have to get back to real life - my DH is afraid I'm bordering on HP obsession since the last book came out. Sure did enjoy the series though!

Who did Draco marry? Did I overlook this?

It was never stated. Some people are assuming Pansy Parkinson because that was his girlfriend at Hogwarts but I dont like that idea. Draco never showed any genuine interest in Pansy. She seemed to be infatuated by him but I suspect she just liked the idea of being his girlfriend.

I like to think Draco actually fell in love with someone and thats who he married. I think that's kind of why it wasn't specified who he was married to. Most likely he didnt marry anyone from the previous books.

Only because I am a very big Potter nerd to I know the answers to your questions. James is an only child of only children, and his parents died years ago from some wizard illness. (This information is on JK Rowlings website.)
Yup- and JK Rowling also said that James' parents had him "late in life", so there aren't any living grandparents. He was an only child of parents who never thought they would be blessed with one, so he was very loved (and a bit spoiled, thus the arrogance Lily noticed in him as a teen).

I just made a possible connection....please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But, when Harry is burying Dobby, he is finally able to shut Voldemort out of his mind through his grief. Could it be that he was never good at Occlumancy because he couldn't "call up" his grief? Whereas Snape was so good at it because of his grief over Lilly????

Hmmmmm....

Well, yes, but unless Dumbledore's picture has some insight into the secret plans of the Order after his death, I think Snape must have been getting the actual date of the removal from Privet Drive from another source.

Perhaps he planted the date in Mundungus as well. Otherwise, who knows?

Wait - Kingsley doesn't send his Patronus to tell them the Ministry's been taken until the wedding. Doesn't someone the night they take Harry from Privet Dr say the Ministry is involved in trying to keep him safe? When do they realize Thicknesse is under the imperious curse?

I just made a possible connection....please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But, when Harry is burying Dobby, he is finally able to shut Voldemort out of his mind through his grief. Could it be that he was never good at Occlumancy because he couldn't "call up" his grief? Whereas Snape was so good at it because of his grief over Lilly????

Hmmmmm....

I had the same thought. I was just saying that to my DH yesterday. Snape's life was full of grief. I think that's why it frustrated him that Harry couldn't "get" Occlumancy. It probably was much easier for him, so he thought Harry wasn't trying.

Perhaps he planted the date in Mundungus as well. Otherwise, who knows?

Wait - Kingsley doesn't send his Patronus to tell them the Ministry's been taken until the wedding. Doesn't someone the night they take Harry from Privet Dr say the Ministry is involved in trying to keep him safe? When do they realize Thicknesse is under the imperious curse?

They knew Thickneese was bad from the beginning....Moody says that is why they had to abandon "plan A" on pg. 46 Plus, I think the Order had pretty much distanced themselves from the ministry since they wouldn't believe them in ootp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter