Harry Potter Book 7 *SPOILERS*

I enjoyed the book too, except for the epilogue. Everyone ended up where I wanted, but I think it was too far into the future.

- There were some unanswered questions (Dudley & the dementors, the person that "comes to magic late in life", their professions after they're grown), but there were bound to be with a story this complex. For me, I'm relatively satisfied with how she tied things up.

I thought it was just me reading too fast or too late at night that I might of missed that.

Also - the signifigance of Harry (& now his son) having his mothers eyes, more detail on Petunia & her connection to Dumbledore (I get she was jealous, but that isn't a solid enough answer for me), more info on the veil (I think there was only one line in this book that referenced it), what were James & Lilys professions, what else happens in those 19 years...how did the families cope/rebuild...

I was almost expecting Ron to name his son Fred.

I wasn't expecting Peter to die in the way he did.

Can someone when they have a chance check into the question I had on page 3, it's killing me not knowing the answer.

Actually, the thing about Harry's eyes was covered, in that Snape was forced to see Lily every time he looked at his hated rival's son. It was part of the reason Dumbledore trusted Snape so implicitly.

Still...I am a bit disappointed that she didn't show more of a reunion with the main peripheral characters (if that isn't too much of an oxymoron ;) ).

But...in the end...Harry did end up with the one thing he'd always truly wanted: a family. With Ron and Hermione and their kids there with he and Ginny...I mean, it'd be hard to finish the story on a "happier" note. Harry got his heart's desire. What better reward could there be than the love of his family and friends (again...Jo is making a parallel to the real world).

Wonder who the character was that got the "reprieve" ? I think it was Tonks and Lupin that died "unexpectedly", but can't figure out who it was she'd planned to kill before changing her mind. The only one that makes sense is Malfoy, and things she said in interviews about everybody being "redeemable" lead me to believe that it was her plan all along to save him.

Can someone when they have a chance check into the question I had on page 3, it's killing me not knowing the answer.

The only mentions of Teddy outside of the epilogue are when Lupin comes to George and Phlegm...er...Fleur's place to announce his birth and make Harry the Godfather...and Tonks' brief statement when she shows at the Battle of Hogwarts that he is with her mother.

Sorry...not much there, I know.

Okay I've not finished the whole book but I did read the epilogue. Can someone point me to the info on Teddy please. I would love to read even a snippit about Lupin and Tonks and their son if there is one.

Page 211-212 is when we find out Tonks is pregnant
Page 514 is when we find out its a boy

Actually, the thing about Harry's eyes was covered, in that Snape was forced to see Lily every time he looked at his hated rival's son. It was part of the reason Dumbledore trusted Snape so implicitly.

DUH!! :teacher: Thanks, I missed that connection...

Still...I am a bit disappointed that she didn't show more of a reunion with the main peripheral characters (if that isn't too much of an oxymoron ;) ).

Wonder who the character was that got the "reprieve" ? I think it was Tonks and Lupin that died "unexpectedly", but can't figure out who it was she'd planned to kill before changing her mind. The only one that makes sense is Malfoy, and things she said in interviews about everybody being "redeemable" lead me to believe that it was her plan all along to save him.

My thought on the reprieve was also Malfoy. I wish we could have found out more about what happens to his parents & their "status". Who did he marry?? Scorpius?? That name definitely says Slytherin!

Thank you both, it has defintely helped answer my questions about him. Now back to reading.

So glad I found this thread. After a couple of chapters, I tried to make DH go get another book so we could talk about it as we read, but he refused. I loved the book. When Mrs. Weasly yelled "Not my daughter...", I cheered.
The part that made me cry was when Harry went to the gravesite. Don't know why, but it really got to me. Also, poor Dobby, and Fred. I really thought Hagrid was a goner, so every time he disappeared, I got worried.
To be honest, I almost stopped reading when Harry realized he would have to die. I didn't want it to happen, but I made myself keep going.
I hate to say it, but the epilogue wasn't quite right. I liked how everyone ended up, but like someone else said, it was a little too far into the future.

I am sooo sad that's it's over. I have to say I was right about Snape being good, and Harry surviving. Other than that, I wasn't at all sure of what would happen. I started reading at 1:00 and finished at 5:00. I too, talked to the characters. I actually woke DH up a couple of times. A couple of times crying and once when I laughed out loud whn Mrs. Weasley had her moment. I was so glad to see her "roar" Way to go Mrs. Weasley!!!:banana:

I was so heartbroken, yet so proud when Harry realized he would have to do. That's the moment I saw what a great MAN he was. And how he didn't stop to say goodbye or explain to everyone. I think he was trying to protect them in a way from any extra heartbreak. And all the deaths. Mad Eye I was not too suprised about. But Fred I was shocked. They gained back a son and lost a son. And I had hoped Remus had survived. He really cared about Harry in a fatherly way. I could see him being there for Harry, kind of like Sirius. And Tonks and that poor little baby left with no parents.

Snape and Lily's relationship was one of the biggest suprises to me. I had an inkling of his feelings from the Half Blood Prince, but the history and the depth of his feelings astounded me. To protect the child that so reminded him of Lily in the eyes, whom he loved so much, and James whom he hated...what torment. Yet in the end he did all he could to honor her memory in the only way he knew how.

The one thing I wished that has some resolution was Harry (and Lily's) relationship with Petunia. I had hoped especially after reading about their closeness as children that Petunia would have at least had a kind word for Harry. I even thought of a line "You are so like your mother Harry. I loved her, you know" Nothing too sentimental but it was not to be. Instead she stayed true to her nature and left without even a goodbye.

And I was really suprised that there was no mention of Lily and James work. I thought for sure that was going to be a big part of this book.

Overall, I loved it. I thought the ending could be a little better, but all that matters is that Haryy's happy and surrounded by family and love.

DisneyCP2002, personally I wasn't ignoring you. I just wanted you to keep reading. Still do, as a matter of fact :) .

I think the one who discovered magic late in life..was Kreacher. I still want to do a re-read, but that was my impression.

And, I still like the sweetness and vagueness of the epilogue. Just knowing happy families are sending their children to Hogwarts after all that is enough for me.

DisneyCP2002, personally I wasn't ignoring you. I just wanted you to keep reading. Still do, as a matter of fact :) .

I think the one who discovered magic late in life..was Kreacher. I still want to do a re-read, but that was my impression.

And, I still like the sweetness and vagueness of the epilogue. Just knowing happy families are sending their children to Hogwarts after all that is enough for me.

I hadn't thought of that... What a great take on it! I was just telling DH that i couldn't figure out who did magic late in life..

And I want page 705 in the movie very much, because I am a naughty, naughty girl.

My Australian version doesn't have a page 705! What happened on that page???? I finished the book last night - it went on sale at 9.01am here in Australia - it's soooo nice to be able to read other people's opinions on here - I'm not ALLOWED to utter a word in our house...

I think the one who discovered magic late in life..was Kreacher. I still want to do a re-read, but that was my impression.QUOTE]

I don't know. This was something I wondered about too. But Kreacher was doing magic for Regulus during Voldemort's 1st reign. BUT in house elf years that is not a long time. I think that all house elves can do magic, depending on the circumstances, so I'm sure at some point in his earlier years he had already done magic.

I don't really know who else it would be. Not Albus, because he was a wizard. But maybe he stopped doing magic and then started back later in life. Since he was a bartender most of the time, maybe he didn't need to do magic. Anybody else have any ideas?

Oh, and how cool was the tracking thing. Using Voldemort's name. How does JK come up with this stuff?

I just finished the book and I have to say, I loved it!

I think the thing I was most happy about was the information we gained about Dumbledore and the way it all finally clicked with Harry. It was fascinating to discover his past and the Hallows and why and what he had planned for Harry all along. I think the most important thing we learned though was that Dumbledore was just as normal as everyone else...he was just a plain wizard, despite all the praise and power attributed to him throughout the series. I thought it made his connection to Harry seem all the more real and really showed why Harry was so powerful and why it had to be him.

I also loved the way Jo resolved and redeemed Snape. Another storyline come full circle...all along, Jo has been telling us that it was going to be love and compassion that would save Harry and make him powerful and yet, it ended up applying to Snape as well. I love that Snape's unwavering love for Lily is what kept him loyal and what proved to be such a source of protection and power for so many characters.

I also have to say I was shocked and proud when Harry discovered he was going to have to die in order to kill Voldemort. The Horcruxes, the Hallows, the love theme...they all tied together magnificently. It was also great to see all Voldemort's desires cause his death...so many years of planning and it all backfired because he wished to ignore the small things.

All in all, I think it was a fine end to a fantastic series. Rowling has done so much with these books and it's amazing to see the details and all the mythology and intricacies she has worked into her storylines. I am so sad to see the series end, but it's been quite a ride!

I think the one who discovered magic late in life..was Kreacher. I still want to do a re-read, but that was my impression.QUOTE]

I don't know. This was something I wondered about too. But Kreacher was doing magic for Regulus during Voldemort's 1st reign. BUT in house elf years that is not a long time. I think that all house elves can do magic, depending on the circumstances, so I'm sure at some point in his earlier years he had already done magic.

I don't really know who else it would be. Not Albus, because he was a wizard. But maybe he stopped doing magic and then started back later in life. Since he was a bartender most of the time, maybe he didn't need to do magic. Anybody else have any ideas?

Oh, and how cool was the tracking thing. Using Voldemort's name. How does JK come up with this stuff?

Do you by chance mean Aberforth Dumbledore, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore's brother?

I suppose Kreacher may have done some magic for Regulus, but Harry gave him free reign and explicit instruction to do what house elves can do to track down and bring back Mundungus. I don't think Kreacher had ever been allowed to explore his own power until then. (Again, just my own two cents.)

Oh, and wasn't the cover art of the final battle betwwen Tom Riddle and Harry, in the main hall at Hogwarts where Harry disarms his opponent rather than trying to inflict harm, and waits for the wand to chose him as it's rightful bearer?

Yes, I meant Aberforth.

Sorry, my minds a little fuzzy. Didn't get much sleep last night.

I didn't really see a clear cut answer in the book as to who was late in life to use magic. I would think it would have to be Kreacher, Aberforth or some other character from this specific book. Maybe Jk will at some point clear this up.

I think the cover art is the final battle between Tom and Harry. It does look like Harry's hand is outstretch as it summoning something or reaching for it.

Waiting in line at midnight to buy our books, my friend and I were discussing how it is interesting what they decide to include and what they decide to cut in the movies. I actually said "I know there are a lot of people on the Potter sites online who have talked about Snape having dated or been infatuated with Lily but I don't think that would be the case since the Snape's Worst Memory scene in the movie didn't really show her involvment in it." ;)

I did not think I would finish it in one day. OOTP took me about a week, HBP took about 3 or 4 days. I finished this one around 9:30 tonight. Last night I intended to read just a couple of chapters and go to sleep but I ended up reading for 3.5 hours then off and on all day long.

I loved it. :)

The epilogue wasn't up to the same par with the series, IMHO, but having just fininshed reading the first book to my son a few weeks ago, her writing has really improved since then. That book was good...but she got better as she went along. She said she wrote the epilogue years ago just sort of as a promise to herself that she would in fact get there. I'm wondering if that is why it felt not as strong or if she re-wrote it in the end?

Are any of the fan sites interviewing her soon? I'd love to hear answers to some of these questions!

My Australian version doesn't have a page 705! What happened on that page???? I finished the book last night - it went on sale at 9.01am here in Australia - it's soooo nice to be able to read other people's opinions on here - I'm not ALLOWED to utter a word in our house...

I want to know too!.....Please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter