'Harry Potter and the Perpetual Breakdown'

You describe Diagon Alley eloquently but you mustn't take offense to those of us who don't romanticize the Universal Harry Potter experience in the same fashion that you and some of the other Uni fanbois here do. I don't take offense to those who don't like Disney.....to each their own. I will agree that comparing Universal's Diagon Alley to Downtown Disney and Disney Quest is not a fair comparison. Downtown Disney in it's current state-excluding the Disney Springs expansion-is much more vast with plenty of shopping, dining and entertainment options such as La Nouba and Disney Quest. Diagon Alley with seven one dimensional shops and only one simulator ride plagued with "technical difficulties" is really in a league of it's own.

Fantasyland is much more than a bathroom and two rides. The New Fantasyland encompasses both The Enchanted Forest and Storybook Circus, and both sections have a combination of food, rides and unique experiences. People tend to overlook the fact that 2 out of the 3 rides in Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter are old established rides that have been in operation for several years and simply given a Harry Potter themed overlay....but none of that changes the fact that it was impressively done.

Disney was the first theme park to introduce innovative interactive role playing games in the theme parks with Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure, followed by a Phineas and Ferb version, Pirate's Adventure: Treasure of the Seven Seas at MK, and of course the critically acclaimed Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom at MK. I wasn't surprised when Universal followed suit, however the "difference" is Disney provides all of this for free to all of their guests, unlike Univeral where guests are required to purchase a $40 dollar interactive wand in order to engage with the Harry Potter interactive elements.

It's also interesting that you should mention "shows." Sadly, Universal is already experiencing embarrassing issues with the interactive props not working in the new 'Tale of Three Brothers Show' in Diagon Alley. I imagine this is the kind of thing Ms. Rowlings was hoping to avoid-the last she wants is her precious Harry Potter brand to be tarnished by what could be easily perceived as Universal's greed and incompetency.

Overall, you've made some excellent points and thanks for chiming in, TuneTownMagic. :thumbsup2

You've made some good points too, but we will have to agree to disagree. I am really not "romanticizing" anything, just stating it like it is. As I said, I have no allegiance to Universal. If anything, romanticizing seems to be what you are doing by insisting DA is in a "league of its own" and somehow Fantasyland is superior. As it has been stated before, just because technical difficulties have been happening, even happening often, doesn't mean a park has somehow failed to do things right. I just see it as growing pains and it will work itself out. And also as others have mentioned, complaints are a sign that Universal is now being given the same level of scrutiny as Disney so in a way that's good for Universal. They are being taken more seriously.

And, I see no problem with being charged for the wands. It is a creative and innovative feature and if Disney decides to do something in a similar vein I would have no problem with them also charging for that product.

Again, agree to disagree and I will always maintain that there doesn't need to be a "winner". It's apples and oranges, and I love them all.

The Yeti was amazing in original form. The cave was entirely lit (low level, but lit) You see her as soon as you enter the cave, holding your crumbled track in one hand. She turns and looks right at your train. The visual is that you are going to ride the broken track right up into the ceiling. Just as you get close, she swings her arm and hand down to grab you, right over your head, as the train dives into an opening that you couldn't see due to forced perspective. It was truly the best animatronic display ever.

Please fix.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And, I see no problem with being charged for the wands. It is a creative and innovative feature and if Disney decides to do something in a similar vein I would have no problem with them also charging for that product.

Again, agree to disagree and I will always maintain that there doesn't need to be a "winner". It's apples and oranges, and I love them all.

Does anyone remember Pal Mickey? That was an interactive piece of merchandise which you could play with in the park and then take home. Similar idea to the interactive wands, you still get a wand to take home as well as an experience in the park. Glow with the show ears also fit into the interactive merch category.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I've heard there is wizards near the areas where if you don't have a wand of your own, they'll let you borrow theirs to do a spell...but that could also be just for the opening period as well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I've heard there is wizards near the areas where if you don't have a wand of your own, they'll let you borrow theirs to do a spell...but that could also be just for the opening period as well.

funny you mention that cause I was going to say something about it. I noticed it and asked...they said its for the next couple of months until the HUGE rush dies down a bit.

My outlook on the Harry Potter areas of Universal is that, they have now created 2 new areas. If the first, they rethemed two existing rides and built ONE new one, in the second, they built another new ride and a train connecting the two areas. However they have a huge number of shops in both areas selling everything Harry potter related.

Imagine that WDW built StarWarsLand.
They kept the jedi academy & star tours, built a single extra dark ride and then the rest were all shops and eateries, people would be complaining everywhere about the lack of real attractions but Universal seem to be exempt from this complaint.

The Yeti was amazing in original form. The cave was entirely lit (low level, but lit) You see her as soon as you enter the cave, holding your crumbled track in one hand. She turns and looks right at your train. The visual is that you are going to ride the broken track right up into the ceiling. Just as you get close, she swings her arm and hand down to grab you, right over your head, as the train dives into an opening that you couldn't see due to forced perspective. It was truly the best animatronic display ever.

Please fix.

Precisely, and it does affect the way the ride plays out for me! :)

My outlook on the Harry Potter areas of Universal is that, they have now created 2 new areas. If the first, they rethemed two existing rides and built ONE new one, in the second, they built another new ride and a train connecting the two areas. However they have a huge number of shops in both areas selling everything Harry potter related.

They kept the jedi academy & star tours, built a single extra dark ride and then the rest were all shops and eateries, people would be complaining everywhere about the lack of real attractions but Universal seem to be exempt from this complaint.

You are forgetting the four (and later this year 5) shows inside Diagon. You could also say Disney has converted main street into basically two big shops and a Starbucks, but it hasn't caused too much a stir either.

Does anyone remember Pal Mickey? That was an interactive piece of merchandise which you could play with in the park and then take home. Similar idea to the interactive wands, you still get a wand to take home as well as an experience in the park. Glow with the show ears also fit into the interactive merch category.

I never knew about this but I looked it up just now and it sounds wonderful! I would have loved a Pal Mickey. It looks like it sold for about $65 when it was reintroduced in 2005. I knew about those glowing ears but didn't realize they had that interactive element with Fantasmic. Very cool! pixiedust:

You are forgetting the four (and later this year 5) shows inside Diagon. You could also say Disney has converted main street into basically two big shops and a Starbucks, but it hasn't caused too much a stir either.
if I do recall there was quite the stir on these boards when Starbucks was added

Personally, if the eateries and shops and the new ride were really well themed, I would be thrilled. It would be so much fun exploring a new Star Wars Land!

I would just be thrilled if Disney announced anything new and built it within the next 10 or 20 years when I could enjoy it, and I think most other Star Wars fans would as well. One new ride, well count me in. Star Wars eateries would be awesome and could you imagine shops providing cool new merchandise. Now imagine if they could add merchandise with an interactive element tying into the Star Wars universe similar to the interactive wands Universal has. If you are a Star Wars fan such as myself and the thought of all this is appealing then I guess its easy to see why all Universal has done is such a big hit with all those that love Potter.

I would just be thrilled if Disney announced anything new and built it within the next 10 or 20 years when I could enjoy it, and I think most other Star Wars fans would as well. One new ride, well count me in. Star Wars eateries would be awesome and could you imagine shops providing cool new merchandise. Now imagine if they could add merchandise with an interactive element tying into the Star Wars universe similar to the interactive wands Universal has. If you are a Star Wars fan such as myself and the thought of all this is appealing then I guess its easy to see why all Universal has done is such a big hit with all those that love Potter.

My question, not just to you, but to all the Star Wars fans, is... exactly what kind of food would they serve at these themed restaurants?

My question, not just to you, but to all the Star Wars fans, is... exactly what kind of food would they serve at these themed restaurants?

Not an all-inclusive list, but you get the idea:

Boba's Bounty Burger
Dooku Dog
Vader Taters (fries)
Tauntaun Tots
Artoo Taco
Yoda Yogurt
Padmé Pepperoni Pizza

And.....

wait for it.....

Obi Wan Cannoli

I can only think of one worse thing...

mde-logo_zpseed57325.jpg

I mean other than the two year delay involving Test Track. :lmao:

But I have to be honest...the Yeti situation is pretty funny.

The screen of Soarin' ranks up there pretty highly as well.

Oh, and have they fixed the design portion of Tron Track yet (not that it matters one iota)?

But then again...other than MDE none of those are "new". Just the same ole same ole that we've all just grown accustomed to.

Not an all-inclusive list, but you get the idea:

Boba's Bounty Burger
Dooku Dog
Vader Taters (fries)
Tauntaun Tots
Artoo Taco
Yoda Yogurt
Padmé Pepperoni Pizza

And.....

wait for it.....

Obi Wan Cannoli

That was pretty funny right there!:lmao:

When Beer Dave asked that question, I was originally planning on a list of typical American cuisine: burgers, dogs, etc. But that wasn't enough, I had to give them silly names, names that either rhymed or used alliteration and had Star Wars connections. I had a few things on the list when I asked myself what I could do with Obi Wan. It... it just popped into my head. It was outside of the cuisine I had in mind, but I couldn't resist throwing it out there.

Bad pun? Absolutely! :rolleyes:
But it soooo fit the bill for stupid names for food items. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter