• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hard sided luggage and locking

skiwee1

DIS Veteran
I am going to WDW in a couple of weeks and flying for the first time since they don't want you to lock your luggage. I have hard sided Samsonites that I have always locked with a key. With hard sided luggage I can't use the cable ties that I do with the soft stuff. I went out and bought luggage straps for the suitcases hoping they would keep the suitcases from popping open since I won't be able to lock them. Has anyone had any trouble with losing them? I'm wondering if they search the luggage will they put my straps back on when they are done. My only concern is that my luggage will pop open by accident and all my stuff will be everywhere. Do they put the straps back on for you? Thanks!

We just flew from INDY to MCO. We had to have the bags unlocked for them at the INDY airport. They searched one bag---they used a twist to secure it for us (we had 3 softside and 1 hardside bag). The unlocked bags were fine when we arrived at MCO.

Returning we checked in at the ATA counter at MCO. They said to take our bags over to security (they have a huge screening machine and then put them on the conveyer to go off to be put on the plane). Before checking out of the Polynesian we had them hold our luggage all day---I locked the bags before leaving the room. I forgot I had locked them...at security at MCO the girl asked if they were unlocked...I said "no" (I felt really dumb since I knew they had to be open). I started getting the key out...she said wait and if they needed me to open them she would tell me. A couple minutes later she said we could leave...they didn't need to look through them. I found out after talking to a friend who flew through MCO in July that this is normal...I was so surprised. They were so NICE there. I had to have a carry-on search because of a lead camera bag...they guy was so nice and careful!

I've used a luggage strap on my enormous samsonite for several years. I've flown with it twice since the "don't lock your luggage rule" started. One time it was passed over for searching and the other, when it had all our Disney snacks, it was opened and closed perfectly. They even readjusted the strap. So, you should be okay.

I personally won't use a luggage strap on my hardsided luggage. I use good old strapping tape. I can place it on and if it is removed I will know if someone has been through my luggage. I have heard many stories of luggage straps not being replaced or caught on a conveyor. Stick with the cheapest option which is strapping tape. Throw it in your carry on so you can reclose your luggage coming home. I have found the tape to be useful on many occasions while on vacation. I have even used a piece of tape to keep some drapes closed that kept peek a booing light.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter