Hard sell?

We did a tour at a TS in St Maartan, it sounded good, and if it wasn't such a hard sell and our overweight, unshaven, sweaty, salesman, we probably would have bought. That was '91. We really liked the idea, but forgot all about it after leaving.

In '92 we stayed off site, my wife and daughter's first trip to wdw. we went asking around for Disney's version of a timeshare. We had shoulders shrugged at us, we had one CM tell us that Disney would never get involved in such trash.

Walking into WDW on our third day, I asked a CM about Disney having a timeshare, he got on a phone, asked us of we had an hour or two to spare and ten minutes later the old vacation club mobile came and picked us up. It was more an exercise in getting the facts than making a decision.

hard sell, then easy sell. turned down okw in 93 because the kids were a bit younger and didn't care much for the location and it wasn't that great financially for us. when bwv opened and we decided to go to wdw, we just called and bought sight unseen.

hard sell, then easy sell. turned down okw in 93 because the kids were a bit younger and didn't care much for the location and it wasn't that great financially for us. after bwv opened and we decided to go to wdw, we just called and bought sight unseen.

You'd think we would have been a hard sell. We are military and able to get a large room at Shades of Green for $100 per night. But two things convinced us to buy in to DVC -- the first was the ability to get a one or two bedroom unit, so we can put the kids to bed and shut the door, enabling us to stay up a bit later for grown-up time. The second was that it would force us to vacation every year whether we need it or not ... and who doesn't need it?

I did wait until we got home to research everything I could find on DVC, looking for anyone with negative feedback. What I found was this board, with nothing but happy customers! Finally when I disovered the wonderful world of resales it was a no-brainer. I love to get a bargain.

I decided in 92 during our stay at the Polynesian that I wasn't interested, because timeshares were so slimy and why should we pay thousands of dollars to stay in some out-of-the-way condo (OKW) instead of the Polynesian? I was disappointed that Disney had stooped so low as to run a timeshare operation.

Except for a conference in '94, we didn't go back until Dec 2001 (I have no explanation!), and while we were there visited BC, noticing the BCV construction. As we were doing 4-day land and 3-day cruise it was pretty hectic, and we didn't look at a model or even ask about DVC.

When I heard about the price increase ($75 to $80) from these boards in late Spring 2002, I decided to investigate and "reject the idea once and for all". Our guide, after answering my initial phone call and mailing us some stuff, was out for three weeks -- vacation and working a cruise! But DVC agreed to hold the lower price for us until he returned.

By the time he returned, I had done my homework and was ready to buy! I guess you'd have to call that an "easy" sell.

... basically went in,asked where to sign, told him to hurry as we're on vacation and got better things to do with our time, then out the door and back to the parks. I guess you could classify us as EASY.

We stayed at a 2BR in OKW in August 97. It was a cash ressie, meaning expensive, but we loved the resort.

In October of 98 we were planning our next trip. With three small DD's there was no way we were going to cram ourselves into a hotel room with a stroller, crib, diaper bags, suitcases, etc., especially since we had experienced the joy of a 2BR condo that really enhanced pur vacation experience. I am also a little claustrophobic and I need to "spread out".

While doing the planning, we realized that our next trip would be our 4th or 5th and man, were we spending a lot of money on accomodations. That's when we called and talked to a "salesperson". Her name was Celeste and she was wonderful and patient in explaing DVC over the phone. We wanted to buy at OKW, but had to "settle" for BWV (at $63 a point) since OKW was sold out. We bought sight unseen (we did see pictures) and signed up through the mails. Best long-term vacation decision we ever made. Period. We have since added on at OKW ;) through a broker. Now we are armed with 502 points and loving it.

We've been DVC members since May 2001. Neither of our guides were hard sell. Like many folks I was leary of "the timeshare hard sell" so while I was interested in DVC I stayed away from the DVC kiosks. Two years ago while visiting Disney World we stayed at All Star Sports and one morning the wife and I decided to stop by the DVC kiosk. The woman we spoke with was so nice and took lots of time to answer our questions plus she assured us it would not be a hard sell experience. So we reluctantly agreed to go through a presentation. We did, we liked what we saw but we just weren't ready to commit at that time. We went back to Disney World again about a year later and we took the tour again this time with another guide as our original guide was not longer with DVC. We still weren't ready to sign on the dotted line. We went home, talked about it from time to time over the next 30 days or so and then decided to buy. We contacted our guide, had the paperwork sent via mail and negotiated the entire transaction by mail. Since then, we've been to our home resort, BCV twice and we plan on going back two times in 2003.

That was a pretty windy way of saying that it took us a while to decide but now that we have, we are so glad we did and we look forward to many many happy times at Disney World in the future.

In 2000 we had just gotten back from our 3rd WDW trip and it was pretty much decided that we would be back each year. My MIL put me in touch with a friend who was a member and after many phone calls I decided to call Celeste to get more info. She was on the phone with me for hours at a time over 30 days or so. We got the video but DW was not so sure, so I decided to just surprise her. Well after walking into the OKW 1 br in 2/2001 we had to pick up our chins that had fallen on the floor. (Yes we too bought sight unseen).

Since then we've added on once and have enjoyed multiple WDW trips during the years. This time away with family will always be cherished. Thanks DVC.

Just got my new license plate in the mail last week. "DVC OKW" Can't wait to show it off when we come home 2/28/2003.

So it was a semi easy sell, the first time and a no brainer the 2nd.

We were LOOOONNNG but easy.

We had some friends who were members and sent away for some info in the early 90's. It wasn't right for us at the time.

Then, during a trip in in 2000, it happened. While wondering around the lobby of the All-Star movies resort (my son was in the arcade), I noticed the familiar logo on a kiosk. I wondered over to ask some questions. As we were leaving the follwoing day, i didn't think it would lead to anything. However, the offer of a free ride and lunch, was enough to get me there.

The rest was history.

I wasn't that hard. I was a time consuming sale. We toured in mid June 2002, and ultimately closed on 9/11/02. For years I wanted to do it. However, typical with large purchases I ask a lot of questions. Being an accountant I read over the contract in detail and had questions. I looked at scenerios for renting out some points and the true break even point. Most of my time was taken up talking with friends who are owners. I found them more cooperative then my Guide. I almost cancelled the whole deal because my Guide wasn't getting back to me.

My wife on the the other hand was as hard as stone. She has had a disdain for time shares. She hates the thought about being locked in to a week somewhere. It took a while to convince her that there is a difference between DVC and other timeshares. Now she is so excited that her and I can take a four day trip to BCV in May and then go to HHI for six day in August.

Hard sell the first time. Toured OKW in 1996 in July. Didn't buy, but left it at we'll think about it. Called our guide in October and signed on.

Two add-ons at Vero were easy sales. We walked into the sales center then at Vero and used the $15 MB for $55 points a few years back and added on again last year, again with MB, though at $65 by calling our guide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter