Hard Rock Candy!!

bowlingchicaroo

Mouseketeer
i just made some cinnamon hard rock candy for dh just now and omg the smell is so overpowering and is burning my eyes...i even cracked a door to get some of the smell out...not working....:crazy2:

btw...i noticed when it reached the right degree on my candy thermometer that it looked brown in color...not sure if i burnt it or not...so of course i then run out of red food coloring so i added blue and it looks disgusting and smells too cinnamony!!

i guess i will try another flavor next time...going for wintergreen...yum yum...

you have to be careful when working with cinnamon oils... only use a small small amount then can actually burn your skin too..:eek:

Hey guys, I have a question about candy making. I tried making some english toffee a couple of days ago - it had to get to "hard crack stage," about 310 degrees. Well, I let it cool on a cookie sheet like the recipe said, but once cool it was really hard to get off the sheet and break into pieces. I think only about half of it came off in pieces, the rest came off in little crumbs. Do you think I cooked it too long, or not long enough?

My toffee recipe says to bring it to 290-310 degrees. I pour it on parchment paper. It makes it easier to pick up and break into big pieces.

Where did you get the flavor oils? I can't seem to find them.

I usually get them at a candy or cake decorating store. They typically come in little tiny bottles, a little smaller than nail polish bottles even, so they're easy to miss.

i found mine at our local meijer down the aisle where they have all the wilton baking supplies...i hope this helps...

I usually get them at a candy or cake decorating store. They typically come in little tiny bottles, a little smaller than nail polish bottles even, so they're easy to miss.

Thank you both. I will check out Meijer...I didn't even think to look there. I have tried at Michael's and Joanne's without any luck.

I always find my candy flavorings at WalMart but they only seem to stock them for the holiday season. They are always in a different, usually weird, place. I have found them in the makeup sections, holiday decoration section, housewares section and various other places over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter