• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Harbor Blvd to Downtown Disney

Daisybell911

Paging Mr. Morrow!
I'm staying on Harbor Blvd at the Camelot and to be honest, I plan on partaking of many adult beverages at Trader Sam's. (I say many but knowing my limits, one or two a night!). I know it's not a terribly long walk but I just realized that I will need to go through security both going there and back, which could be a pain (I assume but don't know for sure since I'm a first timer).

Would it be better to walk over and deal with security or take an uber? If I take a car, will it take me to the outskirts of Downtown Disney or can I be taken to the hotel?

16 days and I'm busting at the seams for mouse ears and boat drinks. Cheers!

I would walk there and see how the security check is to you and the walk through Downtown Disney to the Disneyland Hotel.

And then decide after you finish, you can go to the Disneyland Hotel lobby and catch a taxi or opt to walk back. If it is late enough (after park closing), the security check will be closed and you can walk straight thru. (The only time the pathway is closed is earlier in the morning, when Security is checking the area before opening the area for the day, lasts about 30 minutes, but once again a couple of hours before the park opens.

Last edited:
Disney does not allow Uber or Lyft to pick up on its property, it has an exclusive deal with Anaheim Yellow Cab as the only company that can pick up passengers for hire. (Any company can drop off).

The security lines haven't been that long in the evenings. They seem to bust at the seams in the afternoons, but if you are going to Trader Sam's in the evening, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Security lines from DTD into the park area were pretty long when we went last week about 9:00, so we decided to Uber from the GCH, but you'll probably be later than that.

Disney does not allow Uber or Lyft to pick up on its property, it has an exclusive deal with Anaheim Yellow Cab as the only company that can pick up passengers for hire. (Any company can drop off).

This may be their policy but when we were there last week it was definitely not enforced. We took Uber from the GCH one night back to our hotel on Harbor. Then the day we left we took Uber from the DLH to the airport. When I picked up our bags, which were being held at the bell desk at the DLH, they asked if I needed a taxi and I told them I was calling Uber. Nobody said a word. At the GCH I saw at least one other Uber-stickered car picking up other guests as well.

I think it cost us about $7 to the Sheraton Park from the GCH.

This may be their policy but when we were there last week it was definitely not enforced. We took Uber from the GCH one night back to our hotel on Harbor. Then the day we left we took Uber from the DLH to the airport. When I picked up our bags, which were being held at the bell desk at the DLH, they asked if I needed a taxi and I told them I was calling Uber. Nobody said a word. At the GCH I saw at least one other Uber-stickered car picking up other guests as well.

I think it cost us about $7 to the Sheraton Park from the GCH.

That has been my experience as well. Uber has picked us up multiple times near downtown Disney and nobody has said a word about it. Uber and Lyft are both cheaper than a yellow cab and quicker in my experience.

...This may be their policy but when we were there last week it was definitely not enforced. We took Uber from the GCH one night back to our hotel on Harbor...
We took Uber from GCH to the Hilton (convention center) last month.

Let's see, a taxi from the front of the Disneyland Hotel Lobby, where taxi's are usually waiting is about $10 or you could try Uber/Lyft, which would require you to get to the pick up area, and then use the app for a couple of dollars less.

I would opt just jump into the taxi and not worry about it... Simple and easy.

We've just gotten used to taking Uber but you're right, the taxis are more convenient and not much more for a short trip.

Sometimes uber is cheaper sometimes not. I have gotten a taxi in San Francisco at the ferry building for half what the Uber drivers wanted and I was able to jump right in cab rather than stand in the rain with 3 kids and no umbrella and wait 10-15 minutes. But with Uber you don't have to worry about having cash on you or having a creepy cabby run your card through his personal device and maybe steal your card number.

Either option sounds a lot better to me than walking from downtown disney (disclaimer: I am probably the only person on the planet that doesn't enjoy walking through downtown disney at all-to me it is just another a noisy crowded strip mall)

I would take an Uber there, but enjoy the walk back - also to walk off a little of the booze and delicious snacks at Trader Sam's!

Plus, you get to pass through the Esplanade and get to see little pieces of the parks and hear the great, magical music. That would be enough of a nightcap for me!

Many taxis, and I am pretty sure Anaheim Yellow Cab has it, has a card reader in the passenger area, so you don't have to hand the card over to the cabby.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. We had four different Ubers pick us up to go to SNA from DLH in May after Tink Half Weekend. No problem at all.

There is official policy, and then there is real life. Just like no food allowed to be brought into the parks.

Disney made a deal with Yellow Cab and has to honor it. It is easy to detect other cab companies, but hard to tell a Uber/Lyft vehicle from a private vehicle. So as far as I can tell, most Disney CM's don't worry about it. But then some Security Check CM's send people away with food, and the same has happened with Uber/Lyft drivers.

Thanks guys! I think a car is definitely the way to go there. A stroll could be nice but it depends if my feet agree after several days of walking!

Is Trader Sam's a "no kid zone"? I might catch a cab over there myself! Those drinks look great but we have 2 12-year olds in tow.

No, the rule, due to California law, is first, no one underage sitting on the bar stools.

And so long as they serve food, kids can sit at the tables near the bars. So there is sometimes late at night that they are not allowed, but it is rare.

So you will see families there often.

We visit Trader Sam's every trip and we always sit outside on the patio with my niece (who is 17 now).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter